Home

TheSinner.net

drinking

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

drinking

Postby Tom on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:00 am

As a new student starting in a couple of weeks I was just wondering what prices fro drinks are in the town.
I've heard they are fairly steep. Not good news.
Tom

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:42 pm

[s]Unregisted User Tom wrote on 23:49, 3rd Sep 2004:
As a new student starting in a couple of weeks I was just wondering what prices fro drinks are in the town.
I've heard they are fairly steep. Not good news.

Between £1.60 and £3 for a normal pint

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:32 am

The Union is the best deal in town!
Always consistently good value. It doesn't matter if you loose your watch, because we don't have happy hours, we have happy YEARS!

Cocktail pitchers are the best price in town and quite tastey, I should know, I keep drinking them.
Try the squashed frog. It's a layered cocktail in a shotglass.

I so sound like a used car salesman on television, but all I say is true.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:09 pm

[s]Director of Services wrote on 07:32, 5th Sep 2004:
The Union is the best deal in town!
Always consistently good value. It doesn't matter if you loose your watch, because we don't have happy hours, we have happy YEARS!

Cocktail pitchers are the best price in town and quite tastey, I should know, I keep drinking them.
Try the squashed frog. It's a layered cocktail in a shotglass.

I so sound like a used car salesman on television, but all I say is true.

It's so wonderful that YOU chose to raise the prices in the bar. Thanks mum.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Beer

Postby Hamish on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:51 pm

The prices for tennents better not have gone up agian in the union. the 10p last year was well above inflation so no more increases this year please. i live on the stuff, along with the bacon rolls which also went up 10p. its the same price for a pint in the union as at home in a normal pub. its outrageous. the paisley union had tennents at 90p a pint last year. get your act together union.
Hamish

Re:

Postby Students Association on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:33 am

Thanks for the interest Hamish. I seem to have a slightly different recollection from you I remember Tennents being £1.20 in 2000/01 and again in the first half of 2001/02 then from the beginning of 02 it became £1.50 which it has been ever since. It was at no point £1.40

The prices are set in consultation between the Students’ Association's Staff and Sabbaticals. The prices have to adjust according to the financial situation of the Students’ Association and advice from solicitors on the decisions of the licensing board. As for the issue of price comparisons at other Students’ Associations in Scotland the licensing authorities are clamping down on particularly low prices and do not look favourably on pubs that it considers to be “irresponsible” - Dundee has minimum prices imposed on all drinks. This is an attempt to deal with binge drinking and the problems associated with this. Whether or not you agree with licensing board's attempting to make decisions aimed at improving our health, it is the world in which we live. For the year 2004/05 the price will be £1.60 for a pint of Tennents (the lowest consistent price in town).
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Re:

Postby Students Association on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:37 am

For a more detailed explanation and if you have any points to raise there is an SSC meeting at 7:30 Tuesday Week 1. We look forward to seeing any one who is interested.
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:12 am

"The prices have to adjust..."

Adjust? That is a very coy way of saying "go up"! Hehe.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:29 pm

I'm not objecting to the price rise as such (although I don't personally agree with it), but to use the theory that high(er) prices will stop binge drinking in St Andrews union is frankly bullshit.

Firstly, we don't have a problem with binge drinking anyway - so to hide behind that and use it as a reason to raise prices is cowardly.

Secondly, the price rise would not make a difference to the majority of St Andrews students, 99.99% of whom drink responsibly whilst in the Union. I can think of around 4 incidents last year that were caused solely by excessive drinking within the Union, and 2 of those were in Freshers Week where it is practically encouraged to drink a lot.

Thirdly, the licensing boards are clamping down on offers such as one by a club called Afterdark in Dundee last year, where you could drink as much as you like for £10. This offer was going quite well until there was a mini-riot outside the club one night after closing time (which didn't have too much to do with the club itself, it seemed to me as though it was more to do with football rivalries - Scotland had just been whupped by the Dutch) The offer was quickly ended, and the club closed down soon afterwards. In St Andrews, there has never been such a problem outside the Students Union, but there has been problems outside other pubs who charge extortionate prices for drinks (Ginhouse, Ma Bells...)

There is no relation between increasing drinks prices minimally from a reasonably low level to a slightly less reasonable level - and that then stopping, or cutting down on binge drinking. None whatsoever. So stop trying to use it as an excuse please and use the real reason, which is that you want to make more profit.

Is Dundee union close to losing its drinks licence becuse of binge drinking? No. Are we? No, never.
Rennie

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:32 pm

[s]Students' Association wrote on 02:33, 8th Sep 2004:
Thanks for the interest Hamish. I seem to have a slightly different recollection from you I remember Tennents being £1.20 in 2000/01 and again in the first half of 2001/02 then from the beginning of 02 it became £1.50 which it has been ever since. It was at no point £1.40

carlsberg used to £1.20 in 2001/2 and tennents was £1.40, it was still £1.40 in 2002/3 and then went up to £1.50 in 2003/4..

anyway.. thats my recolection of it

[hr]
do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Re:

Postby teh cow on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:06 pm

As for the issue of price comparisons at other Students’ Associations in Scotland the licensing authorities are clamping down on particularly low prices and do not look favourably on pubs that it considers to be “irresponsible” - Dundee has minimum prices imposed on all drinks. This is an attempt to deal with binge drinking and the problems associated with this.

-----
and I guess that's why the price of all the soft drinks went up this year!

I see now, that makes perfect sense. You're trying to discourage irresponsible binge drinking - of lemonade.
teh cow

Re:

Postby Buffy on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:22 pm

That little guy is kinda freaky.

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
[/i]
Buffy

£1.40

Postby hamish on Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:39 am

Distinctly remember the £1.40 price tag in 2002/03 and I don't think that I drank too many to remember the price. Something that important I always remember. 'Twas a "special offer" I believe that lasted the year and i'm willing to bet I drank more of them than you. But thanks for telling us the new prices - I shall inform my bank manager immediately.

[s]Students' Association wrote on 02:33, 8th Sep 2004:

The prices are set in consultation between the Students’ Association's Staff and Sabbaticals. The prices have to adjust according to the financial situation of the Students’ Association and advice from solicitors on the decisions of the licensing board. As for the issue of price comparisons at other Students’ Associations in Scotland the licensing authorities are clamping down on particularly low prices and do not look favourably on pubs that it considers to be “irresponsible” - Dundee has minimum prices imposed on all drinks. This is an attempt to deal with binge drinking and the problems associated with this. Whether or not you agree with licensing board's attempting to make decisions aimed at improving our health, it is the world in which we live. For the year 2004/05 the price will be £1.60 for a pint of Tennents (the lowest consistent price in town).
hamish

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:39 am

Strathclyde sells them at 50 pence a pint.

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:21 pm

So, no reply from the SU? What a surprise. I even emailed them teh post so they could reply to me, but nothing.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:02 pm

What's the SU?
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:58 pm

The Students Union. I was eating crisps at the time so I was typing as little as possible.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:43 pm

I thought the Students' Association had already responded.
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Association President on Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:11 am

[s]Rennie wrote on 15:21, 12th Sep 2004:
So, no reply from the SU? What a surprise. I even emailed them teh post so they could reply to me, but nothing.

Sorry for the delay in responding Alex but we are a little over run at the moment. I would like to respond in sufficient detail so I'm afraid I can't answer right now. Once orientation is over then I will try and get back to you.

[hr]
Simon Atkins
Association President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Association President

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:09 am

You make good points alex, all of which I agree with, however I think the person or persons to whom you directed them were wrong.

It would appear that the binge drinking angle came from licensing board recommendations it is therefore the licensing board who should be listening to your thoughts and not the union. You weren't wrong to target the union, but it would perhaps have been more productive to target the LB.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Next

Return to The Students' Association (Union)