Home

TheSinner.net

KT Tunstall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

KT Tunstall

Postby Director of Services on Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:41 am

abso-fucking-brillant!

any other thoughts?
Director of Services

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:44 am

my thoughts exactly!

congrats to you and Oli for getting her.
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby fainpathe on Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:25 am

[s]liliputian wrote on 00:44, 21st Nov 2004:
my thoughts exactly!

yeah, well done guys, she was fab. absolutely amazing gig, and well done to Kid Canaveral (sp?) - v good support!
You can't dangle the carrot of reconciliation in front of me while you're riding some other donkey!
fainpathe

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:28 am

[s]fainpathe wrote on 01:25, 21st Nov 2004:
[s]liliputian wrote on 00:44, 21st Nov 2004:[i]
my thoughts exactly!

yeah, well done guys, she was fab. absolutely amazing gig, and well done to Kid Canaveral (sp?) - v good support!
[/i]

yeah... funny how the music officer's band got that gig... funny.
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:01 am

i think theres some sort of sexual favours scheme going,

kid canaveral have played the union about 4 or 5 times so far this semester,
Mohawk

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:07 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 04:01, 21st Nov 2004:

yup. so much for encouraging new student bands.
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:38 am

I can understand your point of view but who else is there to play? There are only 4 "bands" in St Andrews that could have filled that time slot. Any band wanting to be considered supporting a gig should contact the music fund committee.

Overall I thought it was a very good gig even though it wasnt my genre of choice. Why the hell wasnt she performing during freshers week!

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
Is there no standard anymore?
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:52 am

KT Tunstall was amazing. I'll be getting her album as soon as it comes out.

[hr]Any act of anti-social insanity is immediately sanctified by the magic word 'charity'. As someone once said, if Hitler had invaded Poland 'for Spina Bifida' then everyone would have just let him get on with it.
Miz Manda

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:11 pm

I've already pre-ordered her album on Amazon (just search for KT Tunstall).

I really enjoyed the gig last night - such a great atmosphere.

Thanks for coming, KT - great to see you again!
Oli

oh here we go...

Postby MusOffDave on Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:39 pm

[s]quarterstaff wrote on 05:07, 21st Nov 2004:
[s]Mohawk wrote on 04:01, 21st Nov 2004:[i]

yup. so much for encouraging new student bands.
[/i]

Hi guys,

We've played a few times, yes, but if you would please take the time to notice, this is the only time that we havn't played with other student bands from St Andrews! So, my goodness! I guess these weekly music nights in the union where ANYONE who wants to can play the open mic OR arrange a wee bit in advance to get on the poster are just a big waste of time! Wow! Glad I've been giving up my Saturday nights and hours of my life during the week! What about Submachine, Bohemond, The Patriot Act, Elliot's Abition and Tom Ingham? Are these not bands and artists that are being encouraged? Playing regular gigs in the union? What about Andy and Paul and the numerous other folk who get up all the time at the "I'm with the Band" Nights? They're being actively encouraged by the fact they can get up there and do it! If Bonnie offers us a gig I'm not going to say no, and because I wasn't organising this one I saw no problem in accepting.
MusOffDave

Re:

Postby Cloud on Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:49 pm

KT Tunstall = sex
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:27 pm

simple reasoning why KT didn't play during Orientation Week-- she wasn't available.
She's just signed on to a new label. (That wasn't fun either, I was talking for ages with her old label setting a good date and then suddenly all that work was moot because she signed to someone else.) In fact, last night was the ONLY date she was available in the area.

And as for Kid Canaveral, was listening to Radio 1 one night and heard KC on and then immediately after that there was KT.
Every other artist is encouraged to play on Saturdays. This one was a special Saturday with a special guest.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Legion on Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:25 pm

Brilliant! Loved it. KT you're a star! (*)
Legion

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:32 am

when will other bands get to do a set with someone famous? Kid Canaveral did a set here with joy zipper, the fence collective and kt whatsherface.

sure other bands are encouraged, but it would be nice to see these other local bands mingling with big stars!

oh, and there are lots of peopl and bands and musicians who just are not being engaged by the union. i dont know what can be done about this... they didnt like the union's kit, so they bought their own!
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Legion on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:17 am

As far as I can tell, the union is doing a great deal to encourage new bands, but without the new bands taking part, what more can they do? It's not like they can drag the musicians onto the stage and force them to perform. It takes two to tango and all that.
Legion

Re:

Postby Dan Canaveral on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:34 pm

[s]quarterstaff wrote on 06:32, 22nd Nov 2004:
when will other bands get to do a set with someone famous? Kid Canaveral did a set here with joy zipper, the fence collective and kt whatsherface.

We played with the Fence Collective because a couple of them are friends of ours, and we thought it'd be a good gig.

In terms of booking and promoting the event, Joy Zipper was nothing to do with the Union, so it's not really an issue of them 'giving bands a chance'. This was an Altsoc affair.

As anyone who comes to the 'I'm with the band' nights will testify, live music in St Andrews is looking pretty damn healthy, with a greater quantity and quality of student bands than at any other point in my tenure here, and every band at these nights is being given 'their shot'. If there are people 'not being engaged by the union' then I would say that they should come along on Saturday nights and do something about it!
Ironically, however, there are now no more 'open mic nights' for the rest of the semester, Saturdays instead being crammed with a very exciting lineup of bands. But tell your un-engaged friends to come next semester.

On a lighter note, I thought KT was superb, and we really enjoyed ourselves. Many thanks for the lovely reception we got. Hope to see you all again soon!
[s]Get off my battlefield[/s]
Dan Canaveral

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:30 pm

[s]Slash wannabe wrote on 10:38, 21st Nov 2004:
I can understand your point of view but who else is there to play? There are only 4 "bands" in St Andrews that could have filled that time slot.

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
[i]Is there no standard anymore?

[/i]

That lad who plays at the Westport would be a good shout IMO. He seems pretty good.

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:32 pm

[s]quarterstaff wrote on 06:32, 22nd Nov 2004:

We played with the Fence Collective because a couple of them are friends of ours, and we thought it'd be a good gig.

In terms of booking and promoting the event, Joy Zipper was nothing to do with the Union, so it's not really an issue of them 'giving bands a chance'. This was an Altsoc affair.

As anyone who comes to the 'I'm with the band' nights will testify, live music in St Andrews is looking pretty damn healthy, with a greater quantity and quality of student bands than at any other point in my tenure here, and every band at these nights is being given 'their shot'. If there are people 'not being engaged by the union' then I would say that they should come along on Saturday nights and do something about it!
Ironically, however, there are now no more 'open mic nights' for the rest of the semester, Saturdays instead being crammed with a very exciting lineup of bands. But tell your un-engaged friends to come next semester.

On a lighter note, I thought KT was superb, and we really enjoyed ourselves. Many thanks for the lovely reception we got. Hope to see you all again soon!

abso-fucking-brillant ???

Postby Big X on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:34 pm

[s]Director of Services wrote on 00:41, 21st Nov 2004:
abso-fucking-brillant!

any other thoughts?

interesting use of the 'whack fucking into the middle of a word therby accentuating the meaning' linguistic rule. generally used with regard to absolutely, making it abso-fucking-lutely, never heard of the word absobrillant (sic) before....

still, i;m assured KT was amazing

Big X
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:37 pm

and why did altsoc choose KC as the support - cronyism.

last i remember KC had only one set of 5 songs that they played EVERY jam night in aikmans.

encouraging live music WITHIN st andrews with 'im with the band' is great... but surely allowing the best bands to support the paid , famous acts would be good for the university/town reputation, the band and the music scene.

it seems very partisan that the band with one of the least expansive set lists, competent though unexceptional musicians, and happens to be the band of the music officer is getting the good gigs.

i hope i am incorrect, and that things are not as they appear.
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board