Home

TheSinner.net

Food for hangovers

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Food for hangovers

Postby Rilla on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:35 pm

Why is it that all I want to do after a night drinking is eat? I'm not even feeling particularly hungover, the only sympton is wanting food. Crisps are particularly good. As are chips, coke, anything greasy really. Why does my body crave carbohydrates? Why not crave something healthy like fruit? Surely the idea is to get rid of toxins and treat my body better and healthier instead of filling it more full of crap?

[hr]Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby JM on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:39 pm

Hey!

are you sure you aint mistaking thirst for hunger. normally you should drink ALOT of water the day after but some think stuffing their faces with junk food (as nice, and tempting as it may be) will help. try loads of fluid (NON ALCOHOLIC - sorry to spoil the fun there) and see how ya feel...
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:48 pm

Your body craves a few things after a night on the shandies;

simple carbohydrates to get sugar back into your blood quickly (sweets and shit)

Salt, to get your water balance back to normal after messing around with the contents of your blood and pissing a lot or water out (hence crisps)

Fatty foods, fats are good at dissolving the breakdown products of alcohol (and alcohol itself, hence eating crap food before a piss up) and thus help to get the crap out of your system. Hence chips, crisps and milk.

The last thing your body wants is something healthy that will take time and effort to digest. Stick with the junkfood, you know it works.
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:50 pm

Thankyou flarewearer! I much prefer your reply than the one above. mmm, salty junkfood. although I did take advice and have a bottle of water beside me now.
Rilla

Food for hangovers...

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:01 pm

... sounds like the worst trade I've ever been offered. I'll keep my food thankyou very much.

Yeah, I came all this way for one lousy pun. Sad, isn't it?

[hr][s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:05 pm

Nah what you want is tomato juice or if you cant stand tomato juice like me have some heinz tomato soup. First off its liquids, secondly it gets your sugar levels etc to a suitable standard and third erm if you vomit it makes a nice red colour.

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
Is there no standard anymore?
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby kezziecats on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:32 pm

You are meant to eat eggs after drinking, can't remember why exactly, but are some anti-toxins in eggs that mean that they are a good absorber of alcohol and so help to reduce a hangover.
kezziecats

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:33 pm

Tomato juice with lots of worcestershire sauce.
Midget

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:44 pm

I think I heard that lots of vitamin C helps flush all the nasty toxins out of your body after a heavy night of drinking. So when I stagger back from the pub, I take some Vitamin C suppliments, lots of water, and if I have any fruit juice, plenty of that. In the morning I have more suppliments, fruit juice, and actual fruits like oranges too. I feel like they help me feel better quicker. I use the same method when I'm sick with a cold, or anything. It should help you get better quicker. It's certainly good for you if nothing else. Lots of nutrients and vitamins.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby JM on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:16 pm

Hey!!!! dont slate the advice of an alcoholic! i, i mean a friend with an alcohol problem, swears by a glass of water before bed(if you make it there) but loads in the morning or whenever you wake up to wash your insides.

just something i heard...
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:32 pm

alcohol fucks with your water balance, and makes you pee out more water than your taking in, leading to dehydratedness. Its the dehydration thats one of the major causes of hangover (alongside the toxic breakdown products of alcohol). Drinking lots of water when your drunk doesnt help much as your body is fooled into not absorbing it, you really need to wait until your starting to sober up (the next day). Thats why sugarry drinks (coke, bru) are good, give you both sugar and water, and the caffeine gets your metabolism going and helps the sugar get into your bloodstream even quicker. (thats why redbull with alcohol gets you drunk quicker)

[hr]...it's fuckwittedness. Fuckwittery if you will...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:33 pm

Whenever I've had a lot to drink, I drink at least a pint of water before I go to bed.

It means I have to get up earlier than I would like, but it lessens the hangover the next day.

Also, I've found that wallowing in self pity until 4 in the afternoon is no good.
Force yourself to get up, have some water and something to eat (carbs!) and then go back to bed. You'll feel much better for it.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Raindance on Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:06 pm

If I'm really hungover I find dry toast to be the only thing I can hold down. Then water, then buttered toast after that and given an hour or two I'm fine.

My old physics teacher used to rabbit on about some kind of banana milkshake thing which was suppossed to scientificly combat hangover symptoms. I can't remember the recipe though. Anyone else heard the same thing?

[hr]I got soul but I'm not a soldier
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby JM on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:26 pm

heard it but cant remember what was in it. could always round up a few drunk students and try different mixtures on them?
JM

Re:

Postby Rilla on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:22 am

hey evevyone. am habving a meeting with my supervisor at 10am tomorrow. i may maybe need your help again tomorrow. how to not smell of drink? plase help?> garlic? chewikng gum? toothpaste? perfume? dueoderant? whaat else will make me not smell like a drunkad tpmorro?
Rilla

Re:

Postby lauremw on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:01 am

I always like cheesy pasta the day after a night out, bland enough to line my stomach against feeling crap, but still tasty. :) A couple of aspirin never hurt either.
Pair that with some nice minty chewing gum and you're good to go.

[hr]
~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:47 am

Prairie oyster. That's all I have to say to you.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby floatingonmycloud on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:59 am

[s]Rilla wrote on 00:22, 14th Dec 2004:
hey evevyone. am habving a meeting with my supervisor at 10am tomorrow. i may maybe need your help again tomorrow. how to not smell of drink? plase help?> garlic? chewikng gum? toothpaste? perfume? dueoderant? whaat else will make me not smell like a drunkad tpmorro?

Try having a shower and brushing your teeth, should do the trick...
floatingonmycloud

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:48 am

[s]floatingonmycloud wrote on 01:59, 14th Dec 2004:
[s]Rilla wrote on 00:22, 14th Dec 2004:[i]

Try having a shower and brushing your teeth, should do the trick...
[/i]

brush your teeth with shampoo and wash your hair in toothpaste, that will guaruntee you smell fresh

[hr]
...Just like Liberace, I will return to haunt you with peculiar piano riffs...
flarewearer

Return to The Sinner's Main Board