Home

TheSinner.net

National IQ test

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby King Jesus on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

Most people are stupid. Most people have been stupid throughout history and most people will always be stupid. If they weren't, everything wouldn't be so fucked up.

And I wouldn't have to wait so fucking long to see Banzai because they'd show that shit ALL the time if most people were smart.
King Jesus

Re:

Postby Chris Satterley on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

Sadly, I have to agree.
Chris Satterley

Prejudicies against clever people

Postby Seline on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

From a previous post of mine:
"There are many prejudicies against clever people." (A very short bit.)

monkeymadness replied:
"I dont think there are prejudices against intelligence, rather prejudices against arrogant people. Someone would be just as irritaing if they came onto The Sinner and said 'I'm a better footballer than most of you' than if they said 'I'm cleverer than most of you'. Either are a stupid thing to do when the person has not met, and therefore does not know, the other people to whom they are refering."

Maybe I didn't tell my opinion clearly enough. I'm sorry. But I didn't mean that there are prejudicies against people who say they are more intelligent than other people, rather than against people who are known to be clever.

Of course it's stupid to go aroud claiming to be better than other without knowing them very well. It's arrogant, unpolite and may not be true. I only used those sentences as descriptions. Maybe I shouldn't have used them at all because I didn't mean that they should be said or that they have been said.

I merely meant that it seems it's easier to accept someone to be for example a good football player than clever. The clever people are thought to either be pluggers or to get everything without any trouble, as I said in my previous post. I think the situation is usually a mixture of them. This is only my opinion and is based on my experiences.

See my previous post (much earlier) for more precise opinions.
Seline

A revelation of IQ testing!

Postby Monkey Man on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

Many people that take these tests lay claim to having IQ's that exceed that of Einstein's. These people will never accomplish anything that comes close to his achievments.

The only thing that taking an IQ test reveals is that you are sad enough to do so.
Monkey Man

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

Absolute bollocks.

Firstly, an IQ test does not have direct correlation with intelligence, as I think we have already covered.

Secondly, I don't think that your comment is even worth answering.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

It seems to me that my friends who are constantly up their arses studying and looking down their noses at those of us who "screw around" (ie, don't study as much as them) piss a good portion of their life away worrying about shite that is not going to matter later in life.

Is anyone going to give a rat's ass about my miserable grade in math when I apply for j-school? Nah...they'll care more about how I've aced most of my English/creative writing classes and that I've written for a regional magazine.

It's great to be well-rounded, I don't argue against that, but sometimes it's best to stop and focus on non-studious things...don't piss away a gorgeous day or a great party because you've to study for some shit test that doesn't matter anyway. I've seen a lot of my friends make the grades, get the degrees, and end up irate at having the same job as a "slacker."

And to Chris, who I think said something about a great sports player saying he's better than others: 1st--that's obvious...2nd) how do you know that the person you're talking to isn't a fantastic player who hasn't been able to pursue his talent?

Crap example, but here goes: twice in the past two weeks I've been challenged by people (actually, guys) who said they were better than me in ping pong, and boggle (yes, i know you're laughing, but bear with me). Both were completely serious and I kept saying--ok whatever. I finally got really pissed at their smugness--one used to be on some ping pong team--and I beat the shit out of the guy in ping pong. He had no idea I'd just won the Ping Pong championship at our university.

The Boggle guy I played I beat by at least 15 points for 3 games til red-faced he turned and left. He hasn't really talked to me since...

So beware before staking your claims...some of us DON'T want to brag about our abilities.

Elizabeth
Anonymous

Re:

Postby Chris Satterley on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

But you're not one of them.

Christ how hypocritical can one person be?!!!
Chris Satterley

Re:

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:01 pm

Holy Tangelos! How THICK can one person be? It was just an example! You people don't know me, and I get no satisfaction at telling you all this. And how can you even say anything? Who's the one that pointed out that he's "academically more intelligent" than the rest of the university?

All book sense, no common sense...the saying lives on...

Elizabeth
Anonymous

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board