Home

TheSinner.net

RIGHT HAND VS LEFT HAND MASTURBATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

RIGHT HAND VS LEFT HAND MASTURBATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby King Jesus on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I was checking out the St Andrews "stats" and the proportions didn't seem quite right.

It said only 10 per cent of the school or something was American. It seems EVERYBODY in this fuckin school is American (including me, thank god! god bless the god blessed land of god loving and god fearing Americans!!!!!!) and not only that but everybody is a fuckin American GIRL.

The stats should be as follows

American Girls from the Midwest: 95%

Other Americans: 4%

Other nationalities: 1%

ANYWAY the ratio of girls to boys must be like 90:10 (is that how you do ratios? I'm bad at them shits) or something very disproportionate.

Anyone know the REAL stats? I refuse to believe the ones mine eyes have peeped on the webshite.

On another tack, I find it amusing that there's not ONE black person in the school. (always a culture shock when I go back to my homeland and see actual black people in real life and not just on television)

PS apologies for using the word "school" in place of a much less annoying term for university (like uni-- I love english slang!!!!!)

PIZZOUTIE

-KJ
King Jesus

Re:

Postby armareum on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I believe the stats are 60:40 in favour of females at this university. Or something similar anyway.

There are coloured people here, you just aren't going to the right places (and walking around with your eyes shut - pretty dangerous).

And you are right, there ARE too many americans here. Loads of the buggers.
armareum

Re:

Postby LJ on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Firstly, I agree with you about there being loads of americans at this UNIVERSITY.

Secondly...it's not just ENGLISH slang, it's SCOTTISH slang too. I'm Scottish (and proud of it) and I get sick of people calling this an English university! (not that you did, I'm just making a point). Does no-one ever look at maps?! We're in Scotland - not even close to the border!!!

Thirdly, I'm not normally a bitter person but I'm proud to be Scottish and I just wish that others would stand up and say the same!
LJ

It might be a scottish school but

to someone just walking around, it feels as if it's an American school with a large proportion of English kids. Every once in a while, there's a Scottish kid but sometimes the Scottish kids have pretty high falooting English accents which is all very confusing.

And if by "coloured people" you mean white American girls, then yes, there are many. However, I am referring not to these "coloured people" but to actual black people, of which there must be two at the most. I know the only one at Andrew Melville is that mature student, and I've never seen any in the town.

Someone back me up on this. I know everybody likes to think they go to a multicultural university but the only cultures here are English, Scottish, Northern Irish, and American Midwest.
King Jesus

Re:

By the by, I was being facetious before-- I fucking hate English slang (not cockney rhyming slang though-- I rather like that.) I'm talking about stuff like "telly" and lots of other annoying shit that I can't remember at the moment.
King Jesus

Too many girls???

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I thought the stats were 50:50. Thats what I read on the student book anyway.
and when I came to visit it seemed quite cosmopolitan. Isn't that the case ?
I am hoping to join the uni next year and I specialy choosed it bcause there weren't too many girls . Am I wrong?
I thourgh this all Prince William thing was over by now.

Vanessa
Anonymous

Re:

Postby Tinlegs the elder on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I have to agree with armareum on this one- you've obviously been walking around with your eyes shut. You forgot to mention the Norwegians, the Canadians, the Chinese, the Germans, the French, the Italians, the Spanish, the Russian students... do you want/need me to go on? There are alot of Americans here but it's only emphasised because of the size of the town.
Tinlegs the elder

Re:

I have to agree with armareum on this one- you've obviously been walking around with your eyes shut. You forgot to mention the Norwegians, the Canadians, the Chinese, the Germans, the French, the Italians, the Spanish, the Russian students... do you want/need me to go on? There are alot of Americans here but it's only emphasised because of the size of the town.
Tinlegs the elder

Re:

Postby armareum on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

woah! deja vu!
armareum

Re:

Yeah- it posted my message twice, which is what I'm thinking happened with your IQ post?
Tinlegs the elder

Re:

Postby Emma on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

The ratio of women to men is 52:48. Seriously, it is.

There are a hell of a lot of Americans, it's true - and sometimes it seems like hardly any Scots, although you're right about the accent thing (It eternally pisses me off when people automatically categorise me as American or English cause of how I speak when in fact I've lived in Scotland since I was about 3).

Speaking of enrolment; Has anyone noticed how a lot of American students or students who went to private schools speak about how they decided to come here after a representative visited their school and gave a talk on how great St Andrews was? Seriously, I've heard a lot of people say this - and none of them went to state schools in the UK. No one sure as hell came to my (tiny rural Scottish state) school. It makes me wonder - does the University actually have a policy of sending representatives to selected 'feeder' schools like some colleges in the USA do? It's a fairly disenheartening thought, but knowing some of the attitudes among the staff here (a cleaner told me the other day she received a letter of complaint about being 'too friendly' to members of the faculty, which I think means' not knowing her place') I wouldn't be surprised.

Just a thought...any comments? Did anyone get a representative come to their UK state school and talk? I'd be interested to know.
Emma

Re:

Postby Clonion on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

My strange little school did - all female state school in Enniskillen (Fermanagh, N. Ireland). Having said that it's a fairly good school, last I heard was ranked 4th out of Northern Ireland, Wales and England. The Rep went to all the grammar schools in Enniskillen (grammar schools are different in N.I.), don't know about the comp. though. We got visited by a couple of others as well - Newcastle, Queen Margaret Edinburgh, Queens Belfast, Uni. of Ulster... Only problem was I think most of the English/Welsh/Scottish unis didn't send reps to us as the assumption is made that most people in N. Ireland go to Queens or U.U.
Clonion

Re:

Postby Saint Sal on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Where I'm from (Caerphilly in S.E. Wales) we never got any sort of representatives from anywhere, even from Cardiff or Aberystwyth, which most of my comprehensive seem to go to. In fact, I kept getting strange looks and comments from the staff when I said I wanted to come to St Andrews; indeed, some actively came out and said that I shouldn't come here because it is not the right type of university for a girl of my type (from a predominantly working class area) and that I would never fit in.

Obviously I just ignored them.

However, it does raise the case, that the university may be targeting schools that are thought to contain a 'better' calibre of student than your bog-standard comprehensive or high school. Is there a bias? I'm not sure, but I've only met a few people here who have come here from a totally sttate education, as opposed to grammar school, public foundations, or grant maintained. It seems a shame that although there are plenty of talented and able would-be students in state schools, they may be over-looked due to some accident of either regional location or school catchment area.

There. Rant over. I'll go and do something constructive. No, not revision...
Saint Sal

Re:

Wow, that's sort of disgusting that St Andrews would do that, but am I wrong to assume this is common practice among "prestigious" universities?
King Jesus

Money

Postby nova on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

As far as I was aware, the reason for visiting feeder schools in the US wasn't so as to attract the 'right' kind of people but because the Americans have to pay more and consequently the uni gets more money. However there are also certain representatives who visit schools in the UK. Afraid I don't know the proportion of state schools visited in comparison to private schools. Bear in mind that not all schools across the UK can be visited. They certainly didn't visit mine (private), indeed I was discouraged from going at all. The headmaster seemed to think that people who live north of the border have a vastly reduced number of brain cells and spend most of their time staring down a whisky bottle. Luckily I ignored his advice too.
nova

Re:

Postby Clonion on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Note - I am one of the few products of a completely state-education.
Actually, did German for two years at a part state part grant maintained school, dont know whether that counts.
Clonion

Re:

Postby chukkah on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

king jesus, why are you so angry? what here at. st. andrews can be so awful?
chukkah

Re:

Postby Johnny196 on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

First, sorry to judge, but King Jesus you are being a twat! First of all, St. Andrews is very diverse for Scotland. You are from a country that is based on immigration from nearly every country on the Earth. Scotland (not a racist comment) has been white Scottish even from the time of the Romans. You also pointed out that you "fucking hate English slang" (bar cockney) even after someone pointed out that it wasnt just English slang that you have come across. As a Scot I should bring it to your attention that we both HATE being referred to as English, and, the credit/ blame for anything we do being given to the English, including our slang.

Emma, is that true about the cleaner? That is absolutely hellish if it is. Like Saint Sal I am from a working class area and was taught that no-one should be looked down upon for earning a decent living. It could be you someday.
Johnny196

Re:

Postby Penny the Pincher on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I feel as though maybe I should apologize for being not only American, but also female and from the Midwest. It's awful to fall into a large group of people that's obviously viewed as a single entity. Maybe I should assume a Dutch accent and grow a beard?

Anyway, no one ever visited my school, I picked it because it's about as prestigious as I can get with both my money and my grades (neither of which amounts to much). I'm not a perfect student, and I'm not close to being rich, and St. Andrews offers an excellent program for relatively little compared to what I'd pay in the US for the same thing. I'm hoping that a degree from St. Andrews will get me further in my career than one from the University of Wisconisn, and that's why I'm packing my things and moving to Scotland. It's a shame I'll just be one among many.
Penny the Pincher

Re:

I have no problem with St Andrews, it's a very pretty school with lots of nice people. I just hate small towns.

I guess coming from NYC, it was sort of a culture shock-- the lack of colored people and skyscrapers and demolished skyscrapers-- and I need that in my life, to feel overwhelmed by huge buildings and see lots of people yelling at each other and have actual things going on around me and not just students and sleepy old people.

And apologies for my "english slang" comment. I hereby change this to "United Kingdom Vernacular"

Barring my peccadilloes, I actually do think this a perfectly alright school. Except for the library-- I genuinely hate it and always will.

And in response to the "but you can always get your big city kicks in Edinburgh or Dundee" argument, I have only to say that although these are very nice cities, they just don't do it for me. I need my tall buildings and homeless people and loud noises.
King Jesus

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board