Home

TheSinner.net

You know what St Andrews really needs...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

You know what St Andrews really needs...

Postby Cain on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:31 pm

...another coffee shop!

between bonkers and Luvians on Market street there was an empty shop with a sign saying "rendez-vous coffee shop. coming soon."

This is beyond ridiculous.

It's like in the Asterix book Asterix and the Mansions of the Gods where the village becomnes a tourist trap and every other shop is a fishmonger or an ironmonger, except for St Andrews it's gift shops and coffee shops.

[hr]I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby theflirt on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:40 pm

supposedly Starbucks is coming here in a couple of months!! I'd have that over any of the others though-so I'm quite pleased :D

[hr]"I have nothing to declare but my own genius" - Oscar Wilde
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby Smith on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:42 pm

I don't drink coffee, and have never been into a coffee bar like costa's in my life.
If you want a coffee, is it really that hard to boil a kettle and get one yourself?
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby groovy on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:45 pm

I for one, welcome our new caffeine overlords.
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:48 pm

I'm surprised that there isn't a McDonalds or KFC etc here. Not that I'd like to see one, however.

[hr]I rock at modesty-seriously, when it comes to modesty, I'm the shit
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:53 pm

What St Andrews desperately needs and what I'd love to come back and provide someday if other life plans don't pan out, is a late night coffee shop, with occasional amateur mellow music, a book collection, some board games availible for the customers... just a place to go to and relax if you want a cup of something and a desert, or are not in the mood for a noisy pub.

I seriously wonder why the coffee shops here now don't stay open late... it baffles me. I'd be there if they did...

[hr]---Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.--- Abraham Lincoln
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby theflirt on Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:58 pm

[s]LonelyPilgrim wrote on 17:53, 9th Jan 2005:
What St Andrews desperately needs and what I'd love to come back and provide someday if other life plans don't pan out, is a late night coffee shop, with occasional amateur mellow music, a book collection, some board games availible for the customers... just a place to go to and relax if you want a cup of something and a desert, or are not in the mood for a noisy pub.

I seriously wonder why the coffee shops here now don't stay open late... it baffles me. I'd be there if they did...

[hr]---Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.--- Abraham Lincoln

I thought 'Beanscene' was open till 11ish? Is that not what you mean by a late night coffee shop, or are you talking all hours of the morning?'

[hr]
"I have nothing to declare but my own genius" - Oscar Wilde
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:26 pm

[s]Smith wrote on 17:42, 9th Jan 2005:
If you want a coffee, is it really that hard to boil a kettle and get one yourself?

most people don't own espresso machines. I on the other hand do, as I refuse to drink the pish that is called instant

[hr]
..Is space hot?... ...Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:34 pm

So the council will allow 8 billion coffe shops to be constructed here, but wont even allow one measly bloody macdonalds!?!?!?

Thats fucking awful
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:35 pm

I was thinking 1am ish... but I wasn't aware that there was somewhere open even to 11pm. Where is this Beanscene? And why oh why have I not heard this glorious news before? If it's true, and has a good atmosphere, I'll be easy to find...

Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:41 pm

[s]Rectalprobe wrote on 18:34, 9th Jan 2005:
So the council will allow 8 billion coffe shops to be constructed here, but wont even allow one measly bloody macdonalds!?!?!?

Thats fucking awful

Its the bleeding Merchants Association that dictate what shops can and cannot open in this town! Harry Ramsdon's tried many years ago but PM's put a stop to that. It won't be the last time shops have been stopped opening up here. Thats what we need is a McD's or Burger King if only i had the money to buy a franchise! :)

[hr]
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby johness on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:43 pm

Beanscene is on Bell Street, up the end closest to Tesco. The coffee isn't great (but its nicer than Costa's) and the atmosphere is much more relaxed. Can't believe there's going to be another coffee place though. Glad its not a Starbucks- Subway is commercial enough already, and a McDonalds? Don't be daft. St.Andrews, as much as I complain about there never being stuff you want, should remain corporation free, in my oninion.
>edited because my spelling is pants
[hr]today, my heart's beating slow again, like the leaves, you're not around.
[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
johness

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:07 pm

[s]johness wrote on 18:43, 9th Jan 2005:
Glad its not a Starbucks- Subway is commercial enough already, and a McDonalds? Don't be daft. St.Andrews, as much as I complain about there never being stuff you want, should remain corporation free, in my oninion.

I don't understand the attraction for having big brands in St Andrews.

People often complain about the lack of a McDonalds but... it's not that great anyway.

It isn't like there isn't anywhere you can go for burgers, chips, milkshakes etc.

I like having the independent places like Janetta's and the North Point; it gives the town character and makes it feel special instead of one of a thousand towns dotted about the UK.

I would go on, but it would just be rehashing my points from when we thought that Starbucks was going to move in along from Costa on market street.

[hr]
Cain

mens clothing shops

Postby Big X on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:16 pm

St andrews needs a decent mens clothing shop (dont really know about the state of female clothes shops), fat face was a bit of a start, but maybe a small Gap or something (i know all their stuff is done in sweatshops, but i like their stuff this season). Maybe somewhere just selling a nice selection of jeans, jumpers and t-shirts, nothing out of this world, i confidently predict that shop would outlast the coffee shops here v v easily.

Big X
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby no use for a user name on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:23 pm

[s]johness wrote on 18:43, 9th Jan 2005:
Beanscene is on Bell Street, up the end closest to Tesco. The coffee isn't great (but its nicer than Costa's)

Errm the Coffee is Costa coffee it's exactly the same stuff made in the same way :-(

What the town REALLY needs is a Weatherspoons surely it makes sense here of all places.
no use for a user name

Re:

Postby sweet on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:35 pm

yep, there's billions.

But trying to find a truly nice coffee here is a bit like trying to find something good to watch on satellite - 999 channels and nowt on!!

Maybe those who want the town to become another clone with mcd's, starbucks etc should perhaps transfer to dundee? Sorry, that was mean, but i too like the local flavour of luvians and all the other places you don't get anywhere else.
sweet

Re:

Postby David on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:37 pm

wetherspoons would be good, cheap drinks :D

another thing we need is a good music (CDs) shop and a reasonably priced music (instruments) shop
David

Re:

Postby Big X on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:41 pm

[s]David wrote on 21:37, 9th Jan 2005:
wetherspoons would be good, cheap drinks :D

yeah, it would be nice to have somewhere which was cheap to booze in all the time, as Winston Chuchill said, booze is, "an ineradicable habit"
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby md25 on Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:00 pm

The Merchants' Assosciation seem to like small, independent and quality shops; what I'd like to see is a small, independent and quality CD shop as I'm fed up waiting for Amazon to deliver within "3-5 days". I do like the lack of big-name high street shops though, and Subway smells worse than I.J. Mellis.
md25

Re:

Postby Superstar on Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:14 pm

A mate of mine is looking into possibly opening a second hand cd shop in st.andrews actually, wouldnt be set up until summer at earliest though. Bit along the lines of Grouchos in dundee kind of idea i think - do you reckon a place like that would do well in st.andrews?
Superstar

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board