Home

TheSinner.net

Glenshee?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Glenshee?

Postby Iveagh on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:36 pm

Does anyone know how we can get to Glenshee to do some skiing this week?

We hope to spend wednesday there but a) dont know where it is; and b) how to get there by car.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Iveagh

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:51 pm

It's north of Blairgowrie. You'd have to go to Dundee then take the road to Blairgowrie and then to Glenshee. Not sure of the road numbers.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Rob Milsom on Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:09 pm

If you're driving - take the A913 to Cupar, then get on the M90 to Perth. At the Broxden roundabout, follow the signs for Braemar. Go over the Friarton Bridge, and left into Perth itself. Then follow the A93 to Blairgowrie, then through Blairgowrie to Braemar - Glenshee is signposted from there. Should take you about a couple of hours - Glenshee's only about 40 miles from Perth, but the road to it isn't particularly fast.

Edit - Bear in mind I'm used to going there from Perth - Al is correct, you could take the A923 from Dundee to Blairgowrie, and then follow the above instructions
[i]Is tresa tuath na tighearna
Rob Milsom

Re:

Postby cberry on Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:49 am

I was there last thursday, it was good fun though it will be even better on wednesday as they've been getting lots of snow!

I wouldn't go through Perth, we went through Dundee and we got there in about an hour and a quarter (expect an hour and a half at more reasonable speeds!) Route is as follows:

Take the typical route to the Tay Bridge in Dundee (through Leuchars, etc). As soon as you cross the bridge, exit left and follow signs for the A923 for Couper Angus. This will take you straight through Dundee. Stay on the A923 through Couper Angus and to Blairgowrie. At Blairgowrie start following signs for the A93. Glenshee is literally bisected by the A93, so after about 20-30 minutes on the A93 you will stumble upon it.

Enjoy it. I posted pics and videos of my trip at www.christopherberry.com

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:53 am

And while you're in Blairgowrie, stop and spend some money in the local shops. God knows someone has to.

[hr]"For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?- Matthew 16:26
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby cberry on Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:18 pm

Did you end up going? How was it? How much was open? Me and my flatmate are thinking of going again tomorrow. Are the roads okay?

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:23 am

the roads will be either crazy or closed for the next few days, by all means give it a go but it might take you a while to get there
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Iveagh on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:05 pm

The skiing was excellent - almost as good as it can be on the continent. On the way back we had a bit of a disaster when some fuckin fool smashed into the back of my car. Its a bit messed up and its in a garage in Perth (Dunkeld) to get fixed - about £2000 worth of damage, and part of the rear drivers side is wrecked. So that kind of took the shine away from the skiing. I'll be without my car for about 2 weeks.
We went the Dundee way and the roads were a bit patchy but well gritted, sort of slushy on the A93. We did infact stop in the grocers store in Blairgowrie but it was fuckin cold in the shop, and pretty busy with passing skiers. Glenshee was really good but packed with people.
Iveagh

Re:

Postby Iveagh on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:16 pm

The only other thing was that I burst the zip in my salopettes which was a bit of a pain.
Iveagh

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:38 pm

No no, straight through Blairgowrie. Quickly.

Seriously.

Re:

Postby cberry on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:03 am

So there really is scottish skiing...

We went back today and it was indeed much better than last week. Plenty of good snow, and no crowds! (though you did have to deal with 40+mph winds occasionally!)

Good luck with the car. Those roads sure are fun!

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby Iveagh on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:38 am

Yes, fun when you don't have some old (70+) wally crashing into your rear.

Glad you enjoyed it. We did too. I skied four times this season - Chamonix (which was excellent - best apres-ski in Europe trust me); Val d'Isere which was pretty good, but in my opinion very over-rated; Arinsal (cheap, fun and ok skiing) and Glenshee - overall pretty good, Scottish skiing does have some substance to it, but lack challenging skiing for us adrenaline-orientated-ski-junkies.
Iveagh

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:29 am

I went to the Grand Valira area in Andorra this season- was a very good, large skiing area. Though perhaps a bit better for beginners up to good intermediates than advanced skiiers.
Marie55

Re:

Postby cberry on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:22 am

Agreed that Glenshee isn't quite as challenging as the backcountry of Chamonix and Val D'Isere, but there still is some good stuff to be had. A hard skiers left of the Carn Aosda T-Bar (that is the northern tip of the western side of the area) had some good tracks that lead to the bottom of the area. Yesterday had a strong northerly wind which kept refilling our tracks, so we kept getting about 6 inches of a windblown fresh snow, which was pretty fun for some fast backcountry turns, and it was reasonably steep. Of course the exit route had us skiing quite literally on heather, which I guess is part of the Scotland experience!

If your cars having problems than you are welcome to come with me and my friends whenever we go- our trips are usually organized a bit on the fly, but there's usually space in the car for more. I don't have any classes after 11, so we usually aim for non-wednesday's during the week (I have committments for another sport on wednesday's) I'm hoping to go Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather, its supposed to stay cold and snow lightly all weekend, so should be good. Contact me by email crb4 or my mobile which is listed on the facebook.

Were you on the uni trip to Val D'Isere? I was there, and I'm curious if I actually know you beyond the name Iveagh.

Chris (Berry)
cberry

Re:

Postby Iveagh on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:50 pm

No I wasn't on the univeristy-organised trip. Went with my parents and some family friends. Do they hope to organise another trip?

I'm not a member of the ski club, but perhaps I should join. Thanks for offering the car ride but we have a few cars between us and usually just take turn-about when we go anywhere. Its just the independence a car gives you that I miss.

I've been on the phone to Zurich Clubline for about 30 mins and no one is answering, and I'm stuck listening to 'Things can only get better' which is seriously starting to piss me off.
Iveagh

Return to The Sinner's Main Board