Home

TheSinner.net

race for life

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

race for life

Postby Amanda on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:01 pm

edit - new year, new race, plea is still the same!

just a shout-out to anyone who knows me in real life, (and people who have no idea who i am are very very welcome to help too :) ) to say that i'm doing the race for life this year in aid of cancer research so if you know me and want to sponsor me/donate some money, it's for a really worthwile cause. even if it's only 50p, it's 100% appreciated.

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/amandajaynebond2007

ta :)
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby whoareyou on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 am

What is it?
whoareyou

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:12 pm

If you race for life, does that mean you die if you lose?

[hr]IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr][s]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies[/s]
[s]Website http://www.macintyre42.plus.com [/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:22 pm

AIDS for cancer sounds like a bad deal.
md25

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:39 pm

Guys, really now... unlike most Sinner discussions, this is a serious topic. Making light of it is just bad taste. You should feel bad. Just for mocking on this thread, I think you should donate something. So go do it... don't make me find out who you are and hit you with a big stick...

[hr]I sing of arms, and the man...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:21 pm

[s]Unregisted User whoareyou wrote on 21:09, 4th Apr 2005:
What is it?

If you go here: http://www.raceforlife.org/ it explains it.

[hr]
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Amanda on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:45 pm

Please don't make bad jokes about this, it really is a serious subject, and such an important cause.

So go donate :)

Thankyou to bread_roll for sponsoring me, much appreciated :)
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby falach on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:51 pm

i shall donate, just not just now as i'm drunk! (i'v ement to donate since amanda posted on her LJ!)
falach

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:58 pm

I would gladly give, but last week I had to survive on two loaves of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and 6 eggs.

I've got some money now, but only enough to eat for a couple weeks. I should be getting more, and if I do, (and let's be honest, if I remember) I'll make a contribution.

[hr]I sing of arms, and the man...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Amanda on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:05 pm

have just edited the first post, so...

*bump*

if you've got some spare cash and want to do something worthwile with it, any donations are good donations :)

[hr]

Amanda

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40 pm

Is this the race that men aren't allowed to enter?

Can you imagine the feminist response if a public marathon was exclusively for men?

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:33 pm

So few threads are blessed with 2 of my bells.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Amanda on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:52 pm

most marathons used to be men-only anyway, and still are mainly exclusively for men. i don't think there'd be a feminist 'response' if a male-only marathon was organised, and to be honest i don't know that anything like that organised would have nearly as much male support compared to the female support of a race like this.

instead of rambling on, i'm borrowing what i feel is a much more succint and coherent argument than i would have come out with :)

[s]Why women's races matter - by Kelly Kruell
http://www.rrca.org/publicat/womrace.html

Standing on the starting line of the L'Eggs Mini Marathon in 1979, I was overwhelmed by the electricity of thousands of women runners. It was so thrilling, so impressive. During the race, I could only marvel at the athletes ahead of and around me. More amazing, however, was watching the almost endless stream of women finishing behind me...It was a pivotal event in our lives.

Women-only races offer a special atmosphere for athletes of all levels. For the front-runners, it is a chance to see their competition. Racing tactics change dramatically when there are no men: no one to dictate pace, to block the wind, to obscure the race unfolding.

Certainly for all women, the camaraderie and support of a women-only race adds so much to the atmosphere. Often the profits from the race are given to women's causes, like breast cancer research or scholarships for women runners, which tends to draw out even the most casual runners. I've noticed that when I have invited other women to a race they are more apt to participate if it's an all-women event.

Women in the middle of the pack say they love the feeling of being swept along in a joyous parade of women. Beginning runners feel less self-conscious about their speed and more encouraged about their efforts. "Many women are self-conscious about their abilities or looks and feel that women would be less judgmental," says S. Hautala.

Women seem to flock to women-only races, but do men want men-only races? Runners on the Internet pointed out that high school, intercollegiate, Olympic, and international events are usually segregated. To the top male competitors, there is no point to having men-only road races. Bryan Beel of Washington says, "I wouldn't have interest in a men-only race because I already spend most of my racing time in front of the first woman, so I'm already getting that feeling." Many other male runners state that women-only races do not bother them, but they admit they don't always see the appeal of such events. For the most part, men runners have understood and supported these goals, and have helped in any way they can in this celebration of women's running.

Twenty years ago, women-only races made a statement about women being able to run long distances. Today, they highlight women's competition while still welcoming participation of women runners of all ages and abilities. What hasn't changed is the immense empowerment that the participants feel as part of a large group of athletic women. After hundreds of races, I still get a special charge from all-women events.[/s]

[hr]

Amanda

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Would they actually try and stop a guy if he decided he wanted to enter and raised money...

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby Amanda on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:00 am

public marathon exclusively for men...
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/runformoore/

[hr]

Amanda

Re:

Postby Amanda on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:09 am

dum de dum - thought it'd be better to resurrect this thread and update rather than start a new one, saves all the questions and links being re-asked and re-added :)

[hr]

Amanda

Return to The Sinner's Main Board