Home

TheSinner.net

Paul Bashing Thread

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue May 03, 2005 10:15 pm

Quoting Paul from 00:20, 4th May 2005
that antichrist, the Roman Caholic Pope.

Top quality insanity, I see. Jolly good.

I know, I know - IT IS THE TRUTH. Whatever.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Paul on Tue May 03, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 02:59, 3rd May 2005
2) Numbers 25:9 and Corinthians I 10:8, can't seem to agree on how many died from God's plague, whether 24,000 or 23,000.

The wording in the two place is different.

In Numbers 25:9 we have:

And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.

This refers to the whole plague and includes those who were hanged "before the LORD against the sun" - verse 4.

However, I Corinthians 10:8 speaks only of some of them - "those who fell in one day":

Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

So there is no contradiction!
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby Paul on Tue May 03, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 00:57, 4th May 2005
Absolute nonsense Paul. You are taking passages completely out of context again. The Bible espouses wisdom.

But not the "wisdom of this world" which it condemns. It is the wisdom that is of God we are called to seek after.

For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. - I Corinthians 3:19

For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward. - II Corinthians 1:12

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. - I Corinthians 2:13

Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. - I Corinthians 2:6-8

There are very plainly two types of wisdom portrayed in the Bible - and not simply one, as you would have it!

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. - James 1:5
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby Paul on Wed May 04, 2005 7:36 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 07:19, 17th Apr 2005
look to Exodus 20:13 and how it compares to 32:27. One says thou shalt not kill the other enjoins us to do just that.

“Thou shalt not kill” – Exodus 20:13 is an instruction in the second person singular and is a command to an individual not to commit murder, or to take the law into his own hands. It sets a standard of behaviour.

There are exceptions to this commandment. For example, any one who commits murder should themselves be put to death: “Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed” – Genesis 9:6.

However, someone who kills in self-defence, is not committing murder: “If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.” – Exodus 22:2.

In Leviticus 32:27 – “And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour” – God has judged the sin of the people in committing idolatry by worshipping the golden calf, and the sentence is death.

Once again, there is no contradiction. You have put up a straw man by taking two different contexts and implying that they are the same.

More another day - I have a very early start tomorrow and a long day ahead, so it is a (relatively) early night tonight.
Paul

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed May 04, 2005 9:36 pm

D'you know? I honestly don't care, I've stopped reading them. I knew when I acceded to the request for biblical contradictions that there would be an 'explanation' offered for each and that it would a) distract from the original discussion about the Bible as a text and b) give you another opportunity to showboat your own odd brand of Christian love.

Fine. I'm wrong, you're right. I'm off to Hell with all the other Jews, Muslims, homosexuals, Catholics, and whatever other forms of Godless sinners I've missed out. As you keep saying in your posts - I have other things to do than argue on here.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed May 04, 2005 10:15 pm

Tsk, isn't it obvious? OF COURSE the Bible contains contradictions, until you understand that saying "Killing is wrong" and "Killing is not wrong" OBVIOUSLY refer to completely different concepts, thereby resolving the contradictions.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Wed May 04, 2005 11:33 pm

OK, Paul, counter these contradictions. They are the first handful in an extensive list:

God good to all, or just a few?
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

War or Peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Who is the father of Joseph?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:
MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?
JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Which first--beasts or man?
GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

More may follow if I'm in the mood to be annoying.

[hr]

... and so, with nothing left to live for, he obeys the chanted command from the distant crowd below.
[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board