Home

TheSinner.net

Paul

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Paul

Postby DrAlex on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:25 pm

Paul, you fascinate me, man. I'm not trying to be facetious at all-how the hell do you pull up so many bible verses? Do you have that thing memorized?
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby flossy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:51 pm

There's been a lot of Paul-bashing going on, but I respect the guy (although I don't always agree with him) because he has the courage of his convictions in the face of a helluva a lot of hostility. And his memory skills (if that's what they are) are astounding.

[hr]

Fare thee well eyebrows
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Potentially, DrAlex, you could have posted this on one of the other many 'Paul' threads. Remember, It is always better to post on an existing thread!

[hr]

Superman Beats Gally, Cockburn and Archer!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Paul on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:50 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 18:25, 11th Apr 2005
Paul, you fascinate me, man. I'm not trying to be facetious at all-how the hell do you pull up so many bible verses? Do you have that thing memorized?

I have tried explaining several times, but nobody seems to believe it - so I will try again - this timne with a sample page which I just found on the Internet.

I use a King James Bible, with which I am very familiar, and a Strong's Exhausitive Concordance of the Bible - and when I require a commentary, either John Cill or Matthew Henry. A further usefull tool is The Westminster Confession of Faith and Subordinate Standards". The copy which I have of the latter is a very good one, with scriptural proofs, but is unfortunately no longer published. Other editions are available.

All of the above are available in one form or another on-line.

Let's now assume that I want to find a verse in one of the prophets, which I recall says something about Ephraim's spring running dry.

I decide to look up spring in the Concordance, and find the following:
IMAGE:http://www.clarion-call.org/extras/concord.gif

Glancing through the prophets (the bit from Isaiah onwards) I eventually find:

his [i]s shall become dry and his ..... Hos 13:15 4716

This refers me to Hosea 13:15, which reads:

Though he be fruitful among his brethren, an east wind shall come, the wind of the LORD shall come up from the wilderness, and his spring shall become dry, and his fountain shall be dried up: he shall spoil the treasure of all pleasant vessels.

The number 4726 refers to a section at the back which contains a Hebrew dictionary, ordered by numbers. Assuming I am interested in the Hebrew, I look up 4726 and I find:

mâqôr mâqôr
maw-kore', maw-kore'
From H6979; properly something dug, that is, a (generally) source (of water, even when naturally flowing; also of tears, blood (by euphemism of the female pudenda); figuratively of happiness, wisdom, progeny): - fountain, issue, spring, well (-spring).

The secret is to be familiar with the King James, and that only comes with constant study and use - i.e. several years experience.

Does that make it clearer?

Oh, and I have found a good Bible Study aid which is available free on-line. There are many add-ons from which can select. It is at www.e-sword.com .
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby Paul on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:54 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 18:25, 11th Apr 2005

I have tried explaining several times, but nobody seems to believe it - so I will try again - this timne with a sample page which I just found on the Internet.

I use a King James Bible, with which I am very familiar, and a Strong's Exhausitive Concordance of the Bible - and when I require a commentary, either John Cill or Matthew Henry. A further usefull tool is The Westminster Confession of Faith and Subordinate Standards". The copy which I have of the latter is a very good one, with scriptural proofs, but is unfortunately no longer published. Other editions are available.

All of the above are available in one form or another on-line.

Let's now assume that I want to find a verse in one of the prophets, which I recall says something about Ephraim's spring running dry.

I decide to look up spring in the Concordance, and find the following:
IMAGE:www.clarion-call.org/extras/concord.gif

Glancing through the prophets (the bit from Isaiah onwards) I eventually find:

his s shall become dry and his ..... Hos 13:15 4726

This refers me to Hosea 13:15, which reads:

Though he be fruitful among his brethren, an east wind shall come, the wind of the LORD shall come up from the wilderness, and his spring shall become dry, and his fountain shall be dried up: he shall spoil the treasure of all pleasant vessels.

The number 4726 refers to a section at the back which contains a Hebrew dictionary, ordered by numbers. Assuming I am interested in the Hebrew, I look up 4726 and I find:

maw-kore', maw-kore'
From H6979; properly something dug, that is, a (generally) source (of water, even when naturally flowing; also of tears, blood (by euphemism of the female pudenda); figuratively of happiness, wisdom, progeny): - fountain, issue, spring, well (-spring).

The secret is to be familiar with the King James, and that only comes with constant study and use - i.e. several years experience.

Does that make it clearer?

Oh, and I have found a good Bible Study aid which is available free on-line. There are many add-ons from which can select. It is at http://www.e-sword.com .

Sorry for the double post, but for some reason The Sinner is not letting me edit the first one to correct the bad image link.

As you can see I am having a little trouble with this new Sinner. I assume I will get the hang of it eventually!
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby threekings on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:25 pm

paul,
couple of things we would like to chat about:

1) u like our name? obviously we are looking back to the 3 kings/wisemen who visited jesus when he was a nipper.

2) 2 of the threekings were raised as roman catholics. DMC was actually taught by nuns as a child. recently DMC has, well, let his religion slip a little. is there a way back from this? he has been bad (as the kingsinners will tell you) but feels that the pope will still guide him in the right path to being a generally good guy.

as someone who clearly knows a bit about religion we want to know if we can get back on the path to being good guys, or have we been bad for 2 long (DMC's last confession was 7 years ago; and that took AGES, he may have some hail marys still to do....)
threekings

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:43 pm

Fucking get out. It won't yield anything of value and that you had to bump a year old thread just shows you don't have a real excuse for this thread.

Delete pls.

Paul, on the off-chance that this wasn't a bad troll trying to shit up the board and he has a genuine desire for salvation, could you keep your communication to email? It would bring in less attention seeking types and less distraction from your discussion.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:50 pm

Quoting threekings from 16:25, 9th Oct 2006
paul,

2) 2 of the threekings were raised as roman catholics. DMC was actually taught by nuns as a child. recently DMC has, well, let his religion slip a little. is there a way back from this? he has been bad (as the kingsinners will tell you) but feels that the pope will still guide him in the right path to being a generally good guy.

I'm sure Paul will answer that the Roman Catholic church is actually satanic or something like that, and all Roman Catholics should turn their back on the pope and find their way to enlightenment through the holy bible.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby theyahyahyahs on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting Senethro from 16:43, 9th Oct 2006
Fucking get out. It won't yield anything of value and that you had to bump a year old thread just shows you don't have a real excuse for this thread.

Delete pls.

Paul, on the off-chance that this wasn't a bad troll trying to shit up the board and he has a genuine desire for salvation, could you keep your communication to email? It would bring in less attention seeking types and less distraction from your discussion.

Sen, are you okay? Peace be with you.
theyahyahyahs

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 pm

I have to say I too am tiring of this thread...

Not bashing, just stating...time to move on

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Paul on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:07 am

paul,

1) u like our name? obviously we are looking back to the 3 kings/wisemen who visited jesus when he was a nipper.

I find this question a little ambiguous - would you elaborate, please.

Oh, and nowhere in the Bible will you find mention of THREE kings/wise men.

I notice you use the word "nipper" - one of the meanings of which is "young boy". This is correct. The wise men did not see a baby in a manger - but a young child in a house - actually in Nazareth and not Bethlehem. Although Herod sent them to Jerusalem, they followed the star!

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, ... - Matthew 2:1

And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.
And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. - Luke 2:39-40

And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. - Matthew 2:8-11

as someone who clearly knows a bit about religion we want to know if we can get back on the path to being good guys, or have we been bad for 2 long (DMC's last confession was 7 years ago; and that took AGES, he may have some hail marys still to do....)

As Rilla, correctly states, I advise you to search the Bible for the way of salvation, and not seek guidance from the pope.

You are not going to be saved by doing penance (repeating x number of Hail Marys) and good works, because salvation is by faith, and not by works, and certainly not by "vain repititions" of a Roman Catholic prayer.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Ephesians 2:8-9

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. - Matthew 6:7

If you truly want to "get back" to God, his command is to REPENT (not do penance). The difference is that in "doing penance" you are attempting to please God by "atoning" for your own sins by some action. Repentance is having a change of mind and trusting God for the propitiation that is in his son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. - Acts 17:29-31

Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. - Isaiah 55:6-7

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. - I John 4:9-10

[hr]

Paul

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:16 am

You just wouldn't let it lie.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:23 am

You see, Paul, this is one of those contradictions I mentioned on another thread. The author of the Gospel of Matthew makes no mention of Joseph, Mary, and Jesus returning to Galilee after the birth. On the contrary, they are warned by an "angel" to flee into Egypt. Unless you are saying that they fled into Egypt by heading north to Galilee - where they then stayed for several years - to throw Herod off the scent.
Al

Re:

Postby Paul on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting Al from 09:23, 10th Oct 2006
You see, Paul, this is one of those contradictions I mentioned on another thread. The author of the Gospel of Matthew makes no mention of Joseph, Mary, and Jesus returning to Galilee after the birth. On the contrary, they are warned by an "angel" to flee into Egypt. Unless you are saying that they fled into Egypt by heading north to Galilee - where they then stayed for several years - to throw Herod off the scent.

There is no contadiction at all.

The sequence is that after the birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem and the fulfillments of the requirements of Jewish Law after childbirth (circumcision, purification) the family returned to Nazareth where they lived for something under two years before the wise men came to visit.

They then left and went to Egypt so as to avoid Herod's attack on all the children under two years old.

[hr]

Paul

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Unfortunately for that argument, Paul, the Bible states quite clearly that the "Massacre of the Innocents" took place in Bethlehem and surrounding territory. Not Nazareth. Why would the family of Jesus take him from the relative safety of Galilee to Egypt when such a journey meant that they had to pass close to the areas most under the control of Herod?
Al

Return to The Sinner's Main Board