Home

TheSinner.net

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy movie mess-up

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy movie mess-up

Postby Cloud on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:02 pm

If you have the time, whether you are familiar with the books/tv show/radio or not, I recommend you read this. We all know that movie adaptations can screw up their source material, but my god! This is unimaginably bad.

http://planetmagrathea.com/longreview1.html

Beware, it's very long...... and sickening.

[hr]

[s]I want your skulls[/s]
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:11 pm

You didn't expect it to be good, did you?
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby monkeymadness on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:14 pm

I think geeks are going to throw their toys out of the pram no matter what the film is like.

[hr]

Every morning I'm woken by sheep.
Let the foot and the mouth prevail if it means I can sleep.
monkeymadness

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:47 pm

Being a big fan of Hitch Hikers I have to say I was encouraged with the recent trailer (on the net, the tv version has been horribly re-edited). Read some of this site's comments, but I'm still going to hold judgement until I see it. Problem is that hardcore fans are never happy with a movie adaption...

"the film also suffers by having an entirely nonsensical plot. It is driven by convenience and unexplained happenings" thats EXACTLY what the Hitch Hiker's trilogy was famous for! Adams gave the impression that there was a plot when really there wasnt (if you want proof just re-check the ending in mostly harmless!)

The movie apparently misses out "The description of the Vogon ships hanging in the air "in exactly the same way that bricks don't"" OH MY GOD! What am I going to do?!!?

Only two examples, but to be honest each version of Hitch Hikers has had its good and bad bits (I mean the tv series was far from compelling really!), and in that sense I'd rather not go and see a movie which is identical to the radio series!

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:49 pm

They'd be fanboys - not geeks. Honestly, if you must apply a derogatory term

And if even 1/10th of what was said in that review is true, well it's just a plain bad film but obviously you're just gagging to go and see it.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:54 pm

I'll give it a chance, I'm not much of a film fan anyway so even if it sucks I probably won't notice.

Also, that guy sounds like the nerds who swore death upon Peter Jackson when they heard he wasn't going to include the Tom Bombadil bit in the Lord Of The Rings films.
md25

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm not sure I'd agree with that md25... I think there's a difference between omitting a minor character and basically totally changing a film/changing removing dialogue.

As the guy points out, it's not like it had to be hard - there were things out there that could have been copied verbatim.

I imagine it might be one to download when I'm bored.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Colin on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting Paranoid from 15:47, 12th Apr 2005
"the film also suffers by having an entirely nonsensical plot. It is driven by convenience and unexplained happenings" thats EXACTLY what the Hitch Hiker's trilogy was famous for! Adams gave the impression that there was a plot when really there wasnt (if you want proof just re-check the ending in mostly harmless!)

I also had that thought when I read the line about convenience and unexplained happenings. There aren't many better ways to describe the sudden rearrangement of deadly nuclear missiles homing in on your spacecraft into a whale and a bowl of petunias than 'convenient'. Although re your point about the end of mostly harmless - no, that is when it finally all makes sense, hence Ford laughing uncontrollably as he finally gets it. The great plot is revealled! But I didn't get it until I read the whole lot through for the nth time. Before that the last couple of books just didnt really fit. Personally, I don't think the series needed such a manufactured explanation as to why it all happened - I prefered the random sillyness, and the fact that the universe was out to get Arthur just because thats the way the universe is, instead of a great conspiracy.

Still, I await the film with interest. Most reviews / comments I have seen do not fill me with confidence, but even a poor HHGG film should be very funny.
Colin

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:20 pm

Quoting Prophet Tenebrae from 17:18, 12th Apr 2005
I think there's a difference between omitting a minor character and basically totally changing a film/changing removing dialogue.
Yeah, it's not as if similar rewriting harmed Starship Troopers in any way either!
md25

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:41 am

Quoting Prophet Tenebrae from 15:49, 12th Apr 2005
...it's just a plain bad film but obviously you're just gagging to go and see it.

You think that's gagging to go and see it? You trying working at Jodrell Bank Radio Observatory! (I think my office is narrowly edited out of the trailer).

And by the way, they said in the book that, shortly before the Earth's destruction, "At Jodrell Bank, someone decided it was time for a nice relaxing cup of tea". No surprise, that's all they ever do around here!

[hr]

Cain stole my room.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Return to The Sinner's Main Board