Home

TheSinner.net

ASTHMA

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

ASTHMA

Postby LP on Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:24 pm

alright. i have asthma. and listen to my problem. i was allocated to Andrew Melville Hall. isn't the humidity like 98% at St A's? do you think if i speak with the Accomodation staff and get a note from my doctor that i'll be switched into a more centrally located hall? my parents are going ballistic over my health. annoying, but probably practical.
LP

Re:

Postby Oli on Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:45 pm

[s]Unregisted User LP wrote on 2002-08-24 03:26:42:
alright. i have asthma. and listen to my problem. i was allocated to Andrew Melville Hall. isn't the humidity like 98% at St A's? do you think if i speak with the Accomodation staff and get a note from my doctor that i'll be switched into a more centrally located hall? my parents are going ballistic over my health. annoying, but probably practical.

Although I have never measured the humidity in St Andrews, I feel I can say with some certainty that it's nowhere near 98%.

Surely when you applied for accommodation, you mentioned on the form that you had some problem with your health? Depending on your courses, you may find that Andrew Melville Hall is the most suitable for you. Accommodation Services may well have picked the best room for you, perhaps on the ground floor to avoid so many stairs.

Why are your parents going ballistic over your health? I can't see that helping much.

Let us know how you get on.
Oli

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:38 pm

[s]Unregisted User LP wrote on 2002-08-24 03:26:42:
isn't the humidity like 98% at St A's?

Yeah, all this tropical weather we get is bloody annoying.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby RainbowPixie on Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:38 pm

I'm asthmatic, lived in DRH and had no problems wandering in and out of town. Infact a few months after arriving at St Andrews my asthma had improved so much I only need inhalers when I go home. Sea air etc I guess ...
RainbowPixie

Re:

Postby Oli on Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:30 pm

As St Andrews is such a small town, there is comparatively little traffic, and the wind often blows in off the sea, meaning that there is little pollution in the air.

However there is occasionally a rather bad smell of rotting seaweed, but you take the rough with the smooth...
Oli

Re:

Postby andy on Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:41 pm

it most likely is 98% RH, meaning relative humidity.

but 98% in 10 degrees C feels nothing like 98% in 25 degrees C.

if anyone cares, my understanding of it is that 98% means that the air is holding 98% of it's maximum water capacity.

it's capactity to hold water is much lower at 10 degrees, so 98% of full capacity is not that much.

and anyone i know who's had asthma has seen it improve a lot on coming to scotland. although it obviously depends on where you're coming from, whether it's better or worse....
andy

Re:

Postby Saint Sal on Sun Aug 25, 2002 5:19 pm

Also, St Andrews has in the health centre the top Asthma nurse in Scotland, which is always nice to know. The medical facilities here are excellent, and response time to a person having an asthma attack is about five minutes. Asthma isn't really a problem here, and mine is far better up here than it is at home
Saint Sal

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:30 pm

[s]Saint Sal wrote on 2002-08-25 18:19:37:
St Andrews has in the health centre the top Asthma nurse in Scotland

How do they know? Do they have Asthma Nurse Competitions at halls all around scotland, with the select few travelling to Edinburgh to do battle for the trophy? What a great image.
James Baster

Return to The Sinner's Main Board