Home

TheSinner.net

ITV's "I'm celebrity - get me out of here!"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:53 am

Or there is of coure the system whereby the title Lord is appended to your first name and the title the follows, ie Lord Matthew, the Earl Stanhope for example. of course how the name is preficed in formal circumstances makes it really complicated.

[hr]You see! The British can be defeated! We have caught them with their pants up!
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:04 am

I was talking about life peers.

[hr]A shining example for saints.
Al

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:22 am

I was talking about life peers.

Al

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:21 am

That just proves how bizarre the system is . It does mean that you can work out the station of any person that you meet if you are aware of the prefix to their name . Unfortunately this does mean that you have to be familiar with our order of precedence to get it right.

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:21 am

That just proves how bizarre the system is . It does mean that you can work out the station of any person that you meet if you are aware of the prefix to their name . Unfortunately this does mean that you have to be familiar with our order of precedence to get it right.

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:42 am

Even if you know the order of precedence for nobility -

Duke
Marquess
Earl
Viscount
Baron

- it's no simpler to follow. There's always some twist e.g. the earl of Errol outranks every other peer in Scotland irrespective of rank. He also outranks the Prime Minister and every one save the 'Blood Royal'.

Al

Re:

Postby Phina on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:57 am

[s]Al wrote on 11:42, 3rd Sep 2002:
Even if you know the order of precedence for nobility - it's no simpler to follow. There's always some twist ...

If everyone is so concerned then buy a copy of Debrett's 'Peerage & Baronetage' or 'Etiquette and Modern Manners'... But some how the cynic in me doesn't really believe that the correct form to address peer is a pressing issue... more just a chance to delight in a lively debate?

[hr]
"I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them." George Bush
Phina

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:22 pm

I'll get back to you on that Phina

Technically the order is:
Monarch
Prince of Wales
Princess of England
Royal Duke
Duke
etc...

And don't you forget it.

Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:30 pm

Well technically in Scotland the order is:

Monarch
Prince and Great Steward of Scotland etc.
Princes of the Royal Blood
etc. etc.

Al

Tony Boy

Postby Zippy on Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:53 pm

so Nigel Ben is gone.

I have a sneaky feeling that the British public will deliberately keep the arguing figures in the camp...tara, darren and christine at this moment in time.

sick lot us Brits

I hope goold ol' Tony wins
Zippy

Re:

Postby Phina on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:02 pm

[s]zippy wrote on 21:53, 3rd Sep 2002:[/s]
...that the British public will deliberately keep the arguing figures in the camp...

I had no idea that anyone was still watching this tosh. As for the great British public... hmph, more like the relatives of the celebrit(...who?) and zippy (and probably a lot of people on this message board who are about to prove me wrong on my point that no one watches this... which brings us full circle).

[hr]
"Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself." [s] Jane Wagner [/s]
Phina

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:53 pm

[s]Scunthorpe wrote on 13:22, 3rd Sep 2002:
Technically the order is:
Monarch
Prince of Wales
Princess of England
Royal Duke
Duke
etc...

And don't you forget it.

Actually, HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, was assigned precedence after HM The Queen (except where otherwise provided by Act of Parliament, that is to say in the House of Lords) by Royal Warrant of the 15th of September, 1952.

The order of precedence in England is:

HM The Queen
HRH the Duke of Edinburgh
HRH the Prince of Wales
HRH the Duke of York
HRH the Earl of Wessex
HRH Prince William of Wales
HRH Prince Henry of Wales
Viscount Linley (as nephew of the Sovereign)
HRH the Duke of Gloucester
HRH the Duke of Kent
HRH Prince Michael of Kent
The Archbishop of Canterbury
The Lord Chancellor
The Archbishop of York
The Prime Minister
The Lord President of the Council
The Speaker of the House of Commons
The Lord Privy Seal
Ambassadors and High Commissioners, in order of their arrival at the Court of St James's
The Marquess of Cholmondeley (as Lord Great Chamberlain)
The Duke of Norfolk (as Earl Marshal)
The Lord Steward of the Household
The Lord Chamberlain
The Lord Somerleyton (as Master of the Horse)
Dukes of England
Dukes of Scotland
Dukes of Great Britain
etc. etc.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:56 pm

[s]Scunthorpe wrote on 07:53, 3rd Sep 2002:
Or there is of coure the system whereby the title Lord is appended to your first name and the title the follows, ie Lord Matthew, the Earl Stanhope for example.

What system is that? The example you give is certainly incorrect.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:57 pm

The authority for all this is "Debrett's Correct Form". I believe there is a copy in the Library.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:00 pm

Sorry for starting this whole side issue - back to the matter in hand, what?

I watched the first show of "I'm A Celebrity..." and haven't watched it since. The concept isn't so bad - Celebrity Big Brother was enjoyable, I thought - but the execution lacks something.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:13 pm

I disagree, any concept that starts with "I'm a celebrity..." and doesn't follow it with "..., why not kick me in the head?" is fatally flawed.

Actually, I don't really mean that, I've got nothing against them for being celebrities. As I said earlier, it's people like Tara who are revered by certain levels of the press whilst having showed no special talent or knowledge to deserve it.

[hr]"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
- Charlie McCarthy
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:33 am

It's the oxygen of publicity that the tabloids provide to these people that allows them to survive. It's kind of like a symbiotic relationship where both the parties are parasitic scum.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:37 pm

[s]The Kaiser wrote on 22:53, 3rd Sep 2002:
The order of precedence in England is:

HM The Queen
HRH the Duke of Edinburgh
HRH the Prince of Wales
HRH the Duke of York
HRH the Earl of Wessex
HRH Prince William of Wales
HRH Prince Henry of Wales
Viscount Linley (as nephew of the Sovereign)

Call me Mr Picky, but as I understand it Viscount Linley takes his precedence from his father, the Earl of Snowdon, and therefore ranks as the eldest son of an earl between Viscounts of the United Kingdom and Marquesses' younger sons.

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:24 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:46, 4th Sep 2002:
Call me Mr Picky, but as I understand it Viscount Linley takes his precedence from his father, the Earl of Snowdon, and therefore ranks as the eldest son of an earl between Viscounts of the United Kingdom and Marquesses' younger sons.

He would take precedence from his father, Lord Snowdon, were his mother not Her Late Royal Highness the Princess Margaret, a sister of the Sovereign.
The Kaiser

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board