Home

TheSinner.net

Hamilton Hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Hamilton Hall

Postby Katy on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:38 pm

Does anyone know anything about Hamilton? Just got home from holiday to find my accomodation pack saying that I've got room 6A...does anyone know if this means the annexe bit-Eden Court(A=annexe? or something else entirely?)
Any info much appreciated
x x x
Katy

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:39 am

And any info for the Sinner's Guide would also be appreciated!
Oli

Re:

Postby piers on Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:39 am

Hamilton hall :the food is supposidly better than other halls- though this not always noticeable.
The location is fantastic, close to lectures, pubs and the union and if you are lucky a great view over the old course or sea.
The hall heating is a wee bit funny, ie cold in winter and roasting in summer.
The biggest drawback to Hamilton quite frankly are the stairs - a real pain in the ass if you live on the 5th floor. The hall is being refurbed the summer. Its a good hall but small and socially introverted.
piers

bumped

Postby Aureliano on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:37 pm

I was originally allocated a room that had the code HA/EC6B, which I assume to be in Eden Court. However I received a letter just a few days ago, which stated that I’ve apparently been bumped (“due to unforeseen circumstances”) from the annexe over to the main building… I’m now in HA/63b. What this means exactly, I have no idea. Let’s hope it’s high up and a room with a view – my residence application was probably one of the first ones to arrive... grrr

Hope to see you at Hamilton in a few weeks.
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:37 pm

6A means you will be in the hall itself, on the first floor, which you will soon be glad of having seen the stairs. A room in the annexe usually has EC (Eden Court) before it. I think.

Just a guess

Postby Okocim on Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:37 pm

I don't know the layout of Hamilton Hall at all, but as most halls in St A's have floors named 'A', 'B', 'C', etc (eg Regs & Sallies), I would presume that it is organised along similar lines. Therefore 6A is most likely to be room six on the first floor of the main building. Can anyone confirm that?
Okocim

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:03 pm

I know an amusing, and allegedly true, story about a student in Hamilton. As you know, or if you don't you soon will know, Hamilton overlooks the Old Course. One day, as a student was nursing a hangover and idly looking out of their window, who else was spotted but Sean Connery finishing off his round. What a great opportunity to get his autograph, the student thought. Down flight after flight of stairs the student ran. Out the door and across the street. "Mr Connery, can I have your.......bleurghh!" Still, how many people can say they've thrown up in front of Big Tam?

[hr]A shining example for saints.
Al

Re:

Postby piers on Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:11 pm

63b(ie room 63) is on the 3rd floor and overlooks the old course
piers

Hamilton Hall

Postby LG82 on Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:08 pm

Anyone who gets into this friendly hall should be really pleased, and can look forward to a fun packed year!! I am going back into Hamilton as a second year (I just can't get enough of it!!!) so I look forward to meeting all you freshers. I will be there on the 17th to show some of you to your rooms (I am on the hall committee) so see you soon :-)
LG82

back again!!!!

Postby LG82 on Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:25 pm

I really don't think that Hamilton being a small hall is in anyway negative, if anything it adds to the hamilton experience...by the end of the year you know pretty much everyone so there is always someone to natter with and never a dull moment at hall social events! Last year everyone was so friendly and most people in the hall seemed to get on well. From what I saw last year Hamilton Hall is definately one of (if not the) best hall to be in....a friendly and buzzing (socially and academically of course)atmosphere ... what more could you want!!! :-)
LG82

hamilton hall

Postby neilbo on Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:56 pm

hi there,

i am bout to go into my second year in hamilton - and if you have just got an offer to live there take it up QUICKLY. You will love hamilton - the place is amazing. Ignore anyone (especcially if they are called Piers) who says otherwise.

You will get to know people really quickly - and cause the lift is broken we will even help you carry your stuff up the stairs.

Everyone in hamilton - without exception is nice - some people are just a bit more private than others and like their own space more - just respect that and you will be fine.

I do agree with Piers on one point - the food is a hell of a lot better than in other halls. You will learn very quickly that hamiltons 2 chefs are a hell of a lot better than central cartering.

Look forward to seein ya soon - anyone on the first floor i am in room 20 so come and say Hi.

Hope the packin goes well - see you in 2 weeks
neilbo

Re:

Postby LG82 on Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:02 pm

go neilbo!!!!!!!!!!!

everything he says is true and hamilton is a truly great place to live, you should be really excited about getting a place there!! I'm on the second floor in room 41 so feel free to come and say hi to me too!!! Good luck with ur packing.....I know I'll need it with mine!!!!

:-) -x-
LG82

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:08 pm

I don't think that there was anything wrong with what Piers said. It's all very well painting a gloriously rosy picture of life in hall, but there are some things that some people don't particularly like.

Fair enough, it might have been a lovely hall with lovely people when you were living there, but the people change from year to year, and there may be some disagreeable people living there this year.

It is extremely naive to think of your hall of residence as being faultless and perfect. Wake up and smell the mass produced tepid coffee, with non-dairy creamer.
Oli

Hamilton

Postby neilbo on Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:02 am

So maybe hall life aint perfect. But it is pretty good. Yea it does change from year to year - but there is something about Hamilton that does make it different. Ok - i sound really sad now - after all its just a builiding that 100 students live in - or at least that is waht you think unitl you live there.

I promise you that i wouldnt be disagreeing with Piers if i didnt have good reason to be. I think i know why he calls it introverted - it is a very very tight knit place and some people can get a bit carried away with it - but as long as you have a life outside of hamilton you will appreciate how good it is to come 'home' to.

Sorry if you think i was slagging him off - i really wasnt - i know who Piers is and why he has this opinion of hamilton.

For everyone else - Oli is right - you have to make up your own mind about this place - i just hope you enjoy it - and get as much out of it as I have.
neilbo

melville

Postby nat on Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:16 am

what's andrew melville like?
nat

Re:

Postby Sarah on Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:17 am

I've just found out i'm living in eden court this year! I know its the annex of hamilton hall, but can anyone tell me what it is like?!? I'm just a little worried about not being in the main hall!! Sarah x
Sarah

Re:

Postby Katy on Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:18 am

thanks for all the information, I'm really looking forward to the 17th now- bit worried about the sound of the 'dodgy' heating though...I'll bring my gloves! Does anyone know if 6A has a view? thanks once again

Katy x
Katy

View or not :-)

Postby LG82 on Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:47 am

Generally, if you're in a shared room in first year you have a good chance of getting a nice veiw....of the golf course, the beach or both. If you're a first year in the main hall in a single room then the chances of getting a veiw are slim...but in my experience its really not that bad if you have a room that faces into the well, I did last year and I really didn't mind.

In reply to our (mine and neilbo's 'naive' view of hall life....) Living in Hamilton last year we know/knew 2nd, 3rd and 4th years who hadn't lived in flats and all of the ones that I knew had no big regrets staying in Hamilton for all 2,3,4 years they had spent at the university so far, our wardens seem to have the knack of picking a good bunch of people who get on well every year. Of course the atmosphere differs every year because there are different people, but it always seems to be/have been a good one. I'm looking forward to another year of fun and laughs in Hamilton, because no matter who is in there, I'm sure we will certainly have plenty!!
LG82

Eden Court

Postby Katy on Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:12 pm

There's a thread on this on page 28...I'm very bored!
Katy

FOR KATY

Postby neilbo on Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:37 pm

Hi katy - you are welcome to the info - your room is on the first floor and if my memory serves me correctly it is a really nice room - quite big with huge big windows.

Dont worry bout the cold - they were putting new heating in over the summer so hopefully it will be warm. Even if they didnt quite get round to it you can use your gown to keep u warm!!!! lol

I cant think of anythin else to tell you bout hamilton - just be glad you are on the first floor the stairs are a killer!!

Happy packing - dont get lost under all the paper they send you!!
neilbo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board