Home

TheSinner.net

Mc Intosh Hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Mc Intosh Hall

Postby oversea student on Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:19 am

A bit the same actually, I wasn't able to find anything on that hall of residence ,so any info is welcome.
Can anyone tell me what room number A24a actually meens and if it as got a view?
thanks
oversea student

Re:

Postby Katy on Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:13 pm

There's a thread on this on page 31 entitled 'residence halls'. Been browsing...trying to avoid unpacking from holiday...
Katy

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:46 pm

In order to avoid confusion, and to help the greater good, I'd like to point out that the thread is on page 21.

Or you can copy and paste this link: http://www.thesinner.co.uk/messageboard ... thread=812

Hope that helps.

Incidentally, we're still looking for an article about McIntosh Hall, so if anyone would like to write about it, please get in touch with me on oli@thesinner.co.uk. Cheers.

[hr]Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.
Oli

Re:

Postby KT on Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:07 pm

to answer the original question, A24a means you are in room A24, the 'a' just shows its a shared room and your roommate will have A24b i assume the a and b are just to help with admin. The A means A floor which is the top floor as Chattan floors a 'numbered' (or should that be labelled or even named) A to E from the top to the basement. A, C D are female only and B and E are male. The number is simply a number and i think and am fairly sure, but don't be cross if i'm wrong that it will be on the North side of the building looking towards the sea and Beach. Numbers run along each floor south side first then north from the end nearest the main door and staircase.

I'm a 3rd year going back into Chattan (D floor) so i'll see you in just over a week!
KT

Check out the website

Postby Zombie Sheep on Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:32 pm

Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby oversea student on Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:46 am

the tread doesn't say much
oversea student

unofficial website

Postby miffed and gutted on Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:47 am

there's an unofficial website 4 macintosh it was mentionned on one of the previous threads. i'd give you the web address only i've changed internet servers and i don't av the address on my history any more.
out of interest does ne one know what the chances are of moving between or within residences? . ive bin given a twin room in melville (i am a 1st year) .i mean come on! there's only 2 twin rooms and there's more than 100 singles......cldn't they just squeeze me in somewhere else.? i was thinking ....would i get away with saying that i was a sleepwalker? do you think that would get me my own room?
miffed and gutted

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:47 am

are all the halls like that, with the guys on one floor and the girls on another?

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:09 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 21:10, 5th Sep 2002:
are all the halls like that, with the guys on one floor and the girls on another?

Sallies split floor up into sections with separate coridors being split between male and female. I think most do sectionalise like that to make shared bathrooms etc... work ok.

[hr]
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
- Charlie McCarthy
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

varies

Postby flurgle on Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:15 pm

some halls have mixed floors, or mixed corridors, others, especially the older ones tend not to, but there are exceptions, regs, for example sometimes has mixed floors.
flurgle

next room

Postby Beth on Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:38 pm

Hey:)
To the person who posted this thread in the first place, I'm in the room next door to you...A25b.
See you in 2 weeks I guess....
Beth
Beth

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:24 pm

"out of interest does ne one know what the chances are of moving between or within residences?"

sorry, but at the moment, I would say very unlikely. Im an arts student and was given a single at uni this year. For some people, having a single is nice, but my classes are on the other side of town, and I really don't like to wake up early for a 9 am class. Anyway, I asked the accommodation service if they could move me to a hall closer to the arts buildings and even offered to give up my single for a twin... they still said no and told me changing halls was not an option at this time. Oh well. You could still try to change rooms if you want... but try maybe later in the year when they're not so busy. Maybe you'll have more luck then.

Re:

Postby Katy on Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:47 pm

there is actually a more informative thread for mcintosh hall on page 31 called 'residence halls' - theres one on page 21 with the same name, but its not as relevant.
Katy

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:27 pm

ive bin given a twin room in melville (i am a 1st year) .i mean come on! there's only 2 twin rooms and there's more than 100 singles......

There's twin rooms in Melville? Since when- last year? I was there in my 1st yera and they were all singles- is this a new thing because of the accomodation shortage? Anyway, its probably better to be in this room than in the ground floor of Melville, as it is damp, a bit mouldy and fairly horrible. I'm guessing the twin rooms are the old wardens suites which were unused when I was there. Which are high up, and the higher the floor the better in Melville, in my experience.
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Phina on Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:31 pm

ive bin given a twin room in melville (i am a 1st year) .i mean come on! there's only 2 twin rooms and there's more than 100 singles......

The twin rooms rock- they're absolutley huge with beautiful views. You'll be in the old wardens flat with own stair case (bloody 56 stairs that seem a lot more). Its pretty self-contained and you're generally left to your own devices (see comment on stairs and realise that the Residence Manager is a lazy moose). The flat is shared amongst five. Good luck with your roommate. If you're in the RM bit then its the same as my friends and I. Many memories. Some of them happy.

[hr]
"Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself." [s] Jane Wagner [/s]
Phina

melville

Postby emma on Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:21 pm

is it as awful as it looks?
emma

Melville.

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:14 am

I lived there for my first year, and while in many ways it absolutly sucked (walking up the drive for example, as opposed to going in to Reg's), but my room was really warm, I had the window open all winter, and the camaraderie was wonderful Even now, just about to start my third year, the vast majority of my friends are people I met in my first week in hall. Some of the rooms are really bad though, all of the girls rooms on the ground floor have damp problems, and half of B staircase is amazingly cold. It was really weird, my half was wonderful, but then as soon as one ever walked into the side nearest the sea, the temperature seemed to drop 10º.
My biggest single piece of advice to all freshers is simple though-get good parents and brothers/sisters. Having a good family will make a huge difference to you whole St. Andrews' Experience.
Pilmour Boy

What about drh???

Postby sarah j on Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:21 pm

Not really heard much about it but the interior pics on the online guide look depressing to say the least. Has anyone here lived in DRH?? And is it really that bad??
sarah j

Re:

Postby Simpleton on Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:24 pm

none of them are that bad. oli said DRH was good, i trust him. as with everything in life, it's what you make of it.

[hr]The only real currency in this bankrupt world, is what you share with people when you're being uncool.
Simpleton

Re:

Postby RainbowPixie on Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:44 pm

I was in DRH last year and I loved it. Does indeed look dire in the online guide but I believe it improves on acquaintance.
RainbowPixie

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board