Home

TheSinner.net

Religious nutcases in St Andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Religious nutcases in St Andrews

Postby Ross on Sun May 22, 2005 10:06 am

This weekend has been disrupted so far by three religious nuisances:
two Jehovas Witnesses ranting on about people living in cardboard boxes in the UK and how this is due to G8 leaders, and one 'Christian' Aid worker ringing the bell and leaving after 30 secs. Are there no controls on such unsolicited callers ? The idiots shouting their sermons on Market street are another pest. I suspect this is how things started with the Taleban.
Ross

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun May 22, 2005 12:39 pm

Quoting Ross from 12:22, 22nd May 2005
This weekend has been disrupted so far by three religious nuisances:
two Jehovas Witnesses ranting on about people living in cardboard boxes in the UK and how this is due to G8 leaders, and one 'Christian' Aid worker ringing the bell and leaving after 30 secs. Are there no controls on such unsolicited callers ? The idiots shouting their sermons on Market street are another pest. I suspect this is how things started with the Taleban.
Well, considering you're living in St Andrews, it's a little hard not to avoid religion, this being one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. And having done door-to-door canvassing myself (though not for Christian Aid) I can tell you that there's a limit to the amount of time you're going to stand on someone's doorstep looking silly. I doubt they ran away on purpose.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mat_salleh
tintin

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Sun May 22, 2005 12:49 pm

I tend to find them rather amusing myself. One old bearded loony gave me a pamphlet of cartoons explaining how condoms don't work and premarital sex inevitably leads to the clap, aids, death and eternal torture in hell. In that order.

The only one I hate is that asshole preacher on Market Street who wakes me up at midday on Saturdays.

[hr]

Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun May 22, 2005 1:02 pm

I think those pamphlets are some of the funniest things in the world, but I agree the guy who shouts on Market Street should be given an Anti-Social Behaviour Order or some other summons for disturbing the piece

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby flossy on Sun May 22, 2005 1:03 pm

I don't mind the Christian shouty people and I give money to Christian Aid anyway so it makes no odds to me.

BUT I BLOODY HATE THE GOURANGAS!

[hr]

Rippy up yeah, onde danceflo, widde moocow, swoss there fo.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun May 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Yeah, now they're a different kettle of fish!

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mat_salleh
tintin

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Sun May 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Oh, yes. The Gourangas. How could I have forgotton. I've been mugged twice by them. I had to pay to get them to fuck off. In exchange I got their holy book (The Big Book of Pish) and the assurance that saying "gouranga" made me happy.

[hr]

Signifying nothing.
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Mon May 23, 2005 10:09 am

How is it that I have been in St Andrews for 4 years, and yet i have never seen a shouting preacher on Market Street? All I'm aware of is Mrs Ross, and a fella who occasionally is seen wndering around the place holding a large sign saying something highly original like "Repent ye sinners" or something like that.

[hr]

http://standrews.thefacebook.com/profil ... d=37100117
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon May 23, 2005 10:36 am

I was hounded by Gourangas in Edinburgh; there's only so many times that you can say "Let us watch the one o'clock gun in peace, I don't want to buy a monk rock CD" without sounding annoyed. But he kept talking to us and we missed it.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Mon May 23, 2005 12:00 pm

Yeh I have been harassed by the gouranga people here when I had a heavy load of shopping in my arms and the last thing I needed was to be stopped in the middle of the street.

They just don't give in...but I didn't buy anything - he just made me more stubborn and I wasn't going to give in.

And no, saying gouranga did not make me happy nor improve my life whatsoever.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 23, 2005 5:29 pm

I get hassled by the Gouranga people on Saturday mornings - on my walk to and from my sodding synagogue! One of them has even taken to yelling "Shalom!" as though saying a Hebrew word will make me more inclined to say his word.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon May 23, 2005 10:21 pm

Maybe the real reason why you dont like these people voicing their opinion is because you know they're right to some extent. People only get annoyed about evangelism because they are made to stop and think about their soul's eternity.
I dont think it is civil or fair to make fun of these people. If they want to speak . . . its a free country. Anyway, how much noise can one man's voice make on a Saturday morning in St Andrews??

Re:

Postby Contraception causes cancer. on Mon May 23, 2005 10:21 pm

Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 15:49, 22nd May 2005
I tend to find them rather amusing myself. One old bearded loony gave me a pamphlet of cartoons explaining how condoms don't work and premarital sex inevitably leads to the clap, aids, death and eternal torture in hell. In that order.

It's true just replace hell with purgatory. Abstinence works in Uganda.
Contraception causes cancer.

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Mon May 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting from 14:50, 23rd May 2005
Maybe the real reason why you dont like these people voicing their opinion is because you know they're right to some extent. People only get annoyed about evangelism because they are made to stop and think about their soul's eternity.
I dont think it is civil or fair to make fun of these people. If they want to speak . . . its a free country. Anyway, how much noise can one man's voice make on a Saturday morning in St Andrews??

Pffffttt!

I mock your values system. You also appear foolish in the eyes of others.

I honestly don't value what they have to say or even presume they are in good mental health.

P. S.
That one man can make one hell of a lot of noise. Especialy when he is right outside my flat.

[hr]

Signifying nothing.
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Mon May 23, 2005 11:26 pm

Quoting Contraception causes cancer. from 20:21, 23rd May 2005
Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 15:49, 22nd May 2005

If Paul were still around, he would explain how purgatory is not biblical. As this is me, I shall merely dismiss it as bollocks.

Abstinence works nowhere. It is ludicrously futile to attempt to wean a species as horny as humanity off sex. If a scientific study that wasn't sponsored by religeous fruits showed condoms to be unsafe, I would pay attention.

[hr]

Signifying nothing.
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Paul on Tue May 24, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 16:24, 22nd May 2005
Oh, yes. The Gourangas. How could I have forgotton. I've been mugged twice by them. I had to pay to get them to fuck off. In exchange I got their holy book (The Big Book of Pish) and the assurance that saying "gouranga" made me happy.

Gouranga does not mean "be happy", but "golden limbs".

It is the nickname given to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, a monk who lived in India some 500 years ago and whom ISKON (the Hare Krishnas) consider to be an avatar and their founder.

These people should not be encouraged, and most certainly not given any money as GENERALLY they are out on the streets without a licence, begging for their livelihood.

One way of dealing with them is to ask to see their licence, but be warned, they are very clever at what they do and use the law to their advantage.

A friend and I used to counteract their activities in Scotland, but since the law on harassment was enacted we found that the police were more willing to arrest us - especially when any females were involved - than deal with their illegal activities.
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby Paul on Tue May 24, 2005 8:46 am

Quoting Bitterandtwisted from 02:26, 24th May 2005
Quoting Contraception causes cancer. from 20:21, 23rd May 2005

If Paul were still around, he would explain how purgatory is not biblical.

Sorry, I have not been around for a while. Will try to look in again more regularly.

And yes, you are right, there is no such place as purgatory in the Bible, and to believe in such a place is to insult the work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and to call God a liar, for "the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin" (I John 1:7).

And the solution is a monogamous relationship, with both persons practising abstinence beforehand:

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. - I Corinthians 7:9-11

Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. - Hebrews 13:4
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue May 24, 2005 10:04 am

I missed you, Paul

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue May 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Credimus post hanc vitam esse purgatorium, in quo animae defunctorum purgantur, as students at Cambridge once had to swear. Many things are not in the Bible; it doesn;t necessarily exclude them from Christian theology. Can't find the word 'purgatory'? Look for the word 'Trinity', see if you find that.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue May 24, 2005 6:30 pm

You wouldn't let it lie!
exnihilo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board