Home

TheSinner.net

Wooly Orange Gowns

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Wooly Orange Gowns

Postby Chris on Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:02 pm

How much are they? Where are they sold?
Chris

Re:

Postby LG82 on Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:21 am

The top floor of the union for most of freshers week, here you can get both second hand (from about £60/70) and new from about £80...don't quote me on this I can't remember exactly, but its often just as good to buy second hand. Technically they are red, although when you go to the union you will see that there are many different shades of red. You should get a flyer in your freshers pack from the union telling you more exactly when/where they are sold. :-)
LG82

Re:

Postby Marty on Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:11 pm

These fantastic RED gowns are available to buy from around ?0 for an horrific scruffy one and ?00 for a new one. I would opt for the latter choice as the second hand ones on sale are usually donated by people who failed their degree or pulled out and don't want to be saddled with a reminder.
Marty

Re:

Postby LG82 on Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:44 pm

It seems from previous threads that you are going to be a fresher next week, so how come you know so much already?!?!? The second hand gowns are actually for the most part just as good as the new ones! If you're going to fit in at this university and lead a fulfilling student life then I think it would be wise to leave picking up an attitude until you have actually experienced St Andrews and met your fellow students. Everyone who has been given a place there has been judged on their own merits and achievements, and most SENSEIBLE and UN-BIGOTED people at St Andrews really don't give a second thought about peoples past education or where they have come from!!!
LG82

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:11 pm

Is it my imagination, or is marty suggesting that second-hand gowns might somehow be cursed?
Al

Re:

Postby LG82 on Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:27 pm

I wouldn't put it past him! To most people it is just a way to make a fast buck...as many rational people would expect, red gowns are not really much use after graduation. But this is Marty we're talking about, he has become quite infamous and hasn't even arrived yet!
LG82

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:27 pm

He has obviously failed to realise that an undergraduate gown is just that. A gown for undergraduates. Mind you, keeping it saves on paying to get into the castle. But then, of course, you have to be in St Andrews. And a cheapskate. And too daft to realise you can get in over the wall.
Al

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:32 pm

And wanting to visit the castle a lot.
Al

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:28 pm

New gowns are £100 from BESS. You go there, get yourself measured, and then wait until Ede & Ravenscroft have made them.

The principal differences between new gowns and old gowns are that new gowns are not too short, and old gowns have usually gone all bobbly. I have had mine a year and it is starting to go - I dread to think what it will look like by the time I finish.

I suppose the extravagant answer is to get a new gown every year, or to go to Ede & Ravenscroft (off George Street in Edinburgh) personally and get them to make you a bespoke gown in some different fabric. But seeing as hardly anybody except choir members, debaters and Americans ever wear their gowns anyway, I doubt if the outlay would be justifiable.
Anon.

Scaling Castle Walls

Postby Janet on Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:18 am

You can only go over the wall after the castle is closed, which means the cool tunnel is closed too. Of course, you could just be really cheap like me and borrow someone else's gown when you need to go to the castle. Though when you wear your gown in the castle everyone thinks you're a ponce, not a cheapskate. My recommendation is a sign that reads 'I have to wear it so I can get in for free' taped to the back.
Janet

Re:

Postby Zen on Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:47 pm

I personally like to put on the fluffy orange gown thing and pretend to be a super hero. But seriously my parents were sweet talked into buying the hideous gown thingy by a tiny (evil?) little old lady, just goes to show you that you should never trust old people.

[hr] advice for life: never eat or drink anything blue
Zen

Return to The Sinner's Main Board