Home

TheSinner.net

No Royal Favouritism by the University, MY ARSE!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

No Royal Favouritism by the University, MY ARSE!

Postby Gealle on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:25 pm

Has anyone else just read the latest to hit the press?

While the rest of us will only be allocated (well, have been allocated) three tickets for guests as a maximum unless we're fortunate enough to be at a certain couple of ceremonies where tickets might be available on the morning, Prince William's having the whole bloody family round for his graduation ceremony.

Some of us go worrying over which relatives not to ask out of worry that we will upset another, and the university reneges on its stance that all students would be treated as equally as possible.

HO! LANG! GO GET FUCKED!
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:52 pm

all students are equal but some are more equal than others.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr][s]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies[/s]
[s]Website http://www.maxeh.co.uk [The Music Community]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby MisterGrumps on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:54 pm

hopefully after june the whenever'th it will all be over, everyone will forget about him, and everything will go back to the way it was
MisterGrumps

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:59 pm

Maybe he just called up the uni after the first lot of tickets had been allocated, and picked up a few spares?

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.

http://www.zombiesheep.name
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:03 pm

For reasons of security, I would imagine the Royal Family will be seated in a separated section of the hall. It's difficult to separate off two or three seats, whereas it'll be relatively straightforward to separate off a section of the balcony, for example. That'll be around 20 seats - so they might as well make use of that space. Besides which, the favouritism is being shown not to William, but to the Queen - the Head of State - and that's hardly an unreasonable proposition.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 pm

I'm only just finishign first year, but i thought i'd give my tuppence worth..i think that is fucking unfair on you "non royals"...You guys have done just as much work as him, some probably have worked harder...you are equals with regards to the, you know, education side of things..and correct me if i'm wrong, but he got a 2:1, fair enough, thats bloody good, but there are some of you geniuses out there who got like better than that!!

just because he is a royal does not mean he should get preferential treatment at things like graduation ceremonies, where everyone is on the same level...
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 pm

I suppose now that good prince bill shall be with us no longer the BBC will have to reverse its' editorial policy instituted over the last 4 years ensuring that every time the words "St Andrews" appear in print or are spoken, the phrase "where Prince William studies" must be inserted strategically just before or after.

It is exactly the same in the media in general for those tuneless poor-excuses for Graham Nortons that go by the moniker "Scissor Sisters" and the phrase "flamboyant rockers". Now that IS something that makes me want scream and throw a brick through the TV; they ARENT flamboyant and they most certainly ARENT rockers; what they have are some stupid village-people esque costumes, the cast of "queer eye for a straight guy" and some wishy-washy drivellous pop tunes with a "quirky" drum machine in the background - utter, utter bollocks and eagerly lapped up by the great british public.

P.S, if anyone has a fancy scientific calculator then perhaps they could work out the tangent of this rant.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/caperbanner.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:15 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 23:03, 15th Jun 2005
For reasons of security, I would imagine the Royal Family will be seated in a separated section of the hall. It's difficult to separate off two or three seats, whereas it'll be relatively straightforward to separate off a section of the balcony, for example. That'll be around 20 seats - so they might as well make use of that space. Besides which, the favouritism is being shown not to William, but to the Queen - the Head of State - and that's hardly an unreasonable proposition.

I couldn't give a flying fuck if it was the Lord Buddha himself. They're human, right? And I'm assuming vetting's been done anyway. The special treatment's out of order, and hypocrisy on the part of the University.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby Sid on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:33 pm

Why did he need a degree? I'm here because without a degree I'm quite srewed in life, however, he is set up big time. He should get three seats like everyone eles and if he doesn't like it then tough shit! Who's interested in this garbage anyway? With or without a degree he's destined for big things and a huge pay cheque (out of our pockets!!!!!!!!!!), so sod him!! Bunch of spongers!
Sid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting Gealle from 23:15, 15th Jun 2005
I couldn't give a flying fuck if it was the Lord Buddha himself. They're human, right? And I'm assuming vetting's been done anyway. The special treatment's out of order, and hypocrisy on the part of the University.

Really? You think every student graduating with him and every member of their families has been vetted by the security services and psychologically profiled to be sure they won't cause trouble? Would you object to another country's Head of State getting "special" treatment?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:21 pm

You never know...He could Abdicate...And get a real job like the rest of us...

[hr]

'What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...'
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:28 pm

I would object, yes.
Quoting exnihilo from 00:21, 16th Jun 2005
Quoting Gealle from 23:15, 15th Jun 2005

Really? You think every student graduating with him and every member of their families has been vetted by the security services and psychologically profiled to be sure they won't cause trouble? Would you object to another country's Head of State getting "special" treatment?

Gealle

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:35 pm

If i had been due at that ceremony and moved into the Thursday afternoon as i was (but from the Wednesday) to free up tickets i would be vexed. But i wasn't so i'm quite placid right now.

Yes, on a principled point of view it's quite vexing. But you have to look at practicalities. Even if that does mean filling in where your mum and dad were born on top of all the other graduation paperwork.

I would hate to be graduating at the ceremony

Jr: Well, that was a fittingly ceremonial way to celebrate the end of four years hard work and set myself up for the rest of life.

Mum: I saw the Queen! Sorry, what were you saying dear?

P.S. What would happen if I invited my close personal friend and business partner the NIGERAN FINANCE MINISTER, or if my classmates were going out with members of the Monaco royal family? would they get spaces set aside as well? What if about 30 visiting dignitaries ended up invited to one graduation?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting Gealle from 00:28, 16th Jun 2005
I would object, yes.

You would object to sensible security precautions being taken for a visiting Head of State? Behave yourself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:44 pm

Not to sensible security precautions. Simply to the fact that the graduand be given special treatment aside from his peers. And if you had asked an open question in the first place, I would have been able to give that response
Quoting exnihilo from 00:37, 16th Jun 2005
Quoting Gealle from 00:28, 16th Jun 2005
I would object, yes.

You would object to sensible security precautions being taken for a visiting Head of State? Behave yourself.

Gealle

Re:

Postby lapetitegecko on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:49 pm

Is there anyone here who is graduating on the same day as the person in question who can confirm/deny the idea that the names of the guests had to be submitted in advance for vetting?

I've been told that it happened, but you might find it to be a more effective argument if you could read it first-hand.

Half wondering if it would be better for his family to pay for him to have a private ceremony at another time to leave the rest of us in peace...
lapetitegecko

Re:

Postby lapetitegecko on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:50 pm

Half wondering if his family can't just pay for him to have his own ceremony at some other time and leave the rest of us in peace... If he's not going to be treated like the rest of us, it seems to me that they might as well.
lapetitegecko

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:15 am

Inserting two pence...

Well we had Bob Dillon at ours, and he was a miserable bastard. He also set himself up to be more important than everyone else, turned up halfway through, and left once his bit was over, all through a side entrance. Whatever his reasons were are beside the point. What does matter is that no-one let that spoil the fun for the rest of us. Just because Prince William is graduating at the same ceremony as some folk -- and it would hardly be equality if they DIDN'T let him do so either -- doesn't mean it will automatically ruin everyone else's day.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:27 am

You people are such losers, get over it. Life's not fair, didn't they teach that to you in the last four years? I'm sure all of you feel pretty special that the QUEEN will be at your graduating ceromony, so shove it.

Re:

Postby md25 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:46 am

As much as he may act otherwise, a future king is intrinsically different from the rest of us, and so will always be treated differently. In any case the Queen is the current head of state and will receive the kind of privileged attention normally accorded to heads of state. It may not be very egalitarian, but I quite like the existence of the Royals, so I really can't get worked up about Thursday's arrangements.

That said, the volume of "except for those graduating on Thursday" exceptions present in the graduation mailshot made me snigger.

As the unreg before me said: life's not fair, deal with it.
md25

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board