Home

TheSinner.net

Garden Parties

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Garden Parties

Postby Melkor on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:11 am

Does anyone know what the dress code for the garden parties this week is?
Melkor

Re:

Postby md25 on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:51 am

Men: evening dress without tails except in the case of those whose height rounded to the nearest integer is prime, who are expected to wear iridescent mauve (i.e. E&R Red #042) gowns over a black latex catsuit, with the exception of those primal men weighing no more than seven stone who are expected to wear yellow (E&R Black #911) chamois leather dungarees, in memory of Alphonse Dépardu, the dwarf who got a first in Mathematics in the year 1754.

Women: As long as the body dress is of respectable appearance anything is acceptable. However hats must be at least fifteen feet in diameter and contain no less than four varieties of grape with lions rampant and exactly two stuffed dormice.

Children: Should be seen and not heard, hence a Zippy from Rainbow-style mouthpiece is expected. Any girls without long pigtails will be boiled so that their nidor vitæ can be used to further inflate the ego of the denizens of College Gate.

Etc. It's really nothing more ornate than everyday garden wear, what are you? Simple?
md25

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:09 pm

Surely you can just turn up in your grad ceremony gear?

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:09 pm

Quoting md25 from 14:51, 19th Jun 2005
It's really nothing more ornate than everyday garden wear

What, dungarees, gloves and secateurs?
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Melkor on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:30 pm

But I have friends coming to the garden party who can't come to the ceremony since I've already used my tickets for my family, so was wondering what they should wear.

Quoting Paranoid from 15:09, 19th Jun 2005
Surely you can just turn up in your grad ceremony gear?

[hr]

Melkor

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:39 pm

They should dress smartly, as if they were coming to your graduation. Suit for gentlemen, equivalent level of smartness for ladies.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby sweet on Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:03 pm

I've never been to a graduation garden party before and the question is valid - do most people keep on their robes and stuff, or do they change?

I'm thinking about girls here, especially as we're forced into a delightful waitress outfit of white shirt and black skirt/dark dress for graduation while you blokes get to ponce around in fancy outfits all day! Bah humbug.
sweet

Re:

Postby KayBee on Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:17 pm

Quoting sweet from 18:03, 19th Jun 2005
I've never been to a graduation garden party before and the question is valid - do most people keep on their robes and stuff, or do they change?

I'm thinking about girls here, especially as we're forced into a delightful waitress outfit of white shirt and black skirt/dark dress for graduation while you blokes get to ponce around in fancy outfits all day! Bah humbug.

If I remember correctly there were a plenty of folk still in their gowns at my garden party. If you've had your photos taken then take your gown back, if not, keep it on. It really doesn't matter... gown or no gown. Just enjoy it!..
KayBee

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:34 pm

Quoting sweet from 18:03, 19th Jun 2005

I changed for mine, since I'd had a morning ceremony and didn't need the gown anymore - the hood kept falling off my shoulders anyway! I didn't much like the black skirt/white shirt look either - as you say, it was very waitress like - so put on a dress in the afternoon.

But there certainly were people around who did still have their robes on, it's entirely up to you!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Return to The Sinner's Main Board