Home

TheSinner.net

Are you going to go to, listen to, or watch Live 8?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Are you going to go to, listen to, or watch Live 8?

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:47 pm

If so, where (and how)?

I wanted to get tickets for London but I guess I'll have to settle for radio. :(

As for the cause, I think it's a good thing. About time the rich should help the poor. This is a make-or-break time for George Bush to prove and redeem himself as a major power in the world.

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:13 pm

I'm going to get drunk with a friend and try my / our collective best to ignore it, even though you could probably throw a brick from my house to murrayfield

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/stormy.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:25 pm

I was sitting out of my front step listening to Coldplay play Bellahouston Park (just across the road) earlier.

I quite enjoyed their set, but I hate their fans. Hence I'm playing Drum and Bass quite loudly with my window open. People probably think I'm a ned arsehole. Little do they know I'm a well educated (well i bloody graduated) little shy grrl with my boyfriends loud speakers.

Mmmmmmwoahahahhahahahahhahahahhahaaaaaaaah!

I'm getting out of the country tomorrow away from all this Live 8 nonsense. Fucking Joss Stones kidding on they know what they are talking about. The amount raised will be pocket money to the people actually performing.

My "two cents".

Setsuna (Crabby mood)

Drum and Bass - Its actually not that bad, is it?
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:38 pm

I'd have gone if I could have got hold of tickets. I really don't see what people's problem is with it - though I guess this argument is best suited to Ten's other thread.

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.

http://www.zombiesheep.name
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Fuck live8, fuck geldof. I'm off to the beach
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:43 am

Well, I plan to have it on T.V.s all over the house all day, even if I don't actively sit there soaking it all in with full concentration. But I'm hoping I'll watch at least some of it. I think I'd feel like I missed out on something a bit if I didn't. But what I'm really looking forward to watching are the protests! Let the riots begin!

[hr]

http://standrews.thefacebook.com/profil ... d=37100117
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby KMart Cowgirl on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:05 pm

just returned from the rally and protest in edinburgh! amazing! Saw Texas perform, they were quite good. And the atmospher here in Edinburgh today is fab! Managed to snag tickets for the Murrayfield gig on Wednesday so will be back down in the 'burgh for that.

[hr]

"I got into an arguement with my rice crispies. I distinctly heard 'snap, crackle, fuck you!' I'm not sure which one of them said it, but I heard it and I said, 'well, you can all just sit right there in the milk as far as I'm concerned, until I find out which one of you said it.' Mass Punishment--the idea is to turn them against eachother." -Emily Krueger...my fave Jersey Girl!
"I got into an arguement with my rice crispies. I distinctly heard 'snap, crackle, fuck you!' I'm not sure which one of them said it, but I heard it and I said, 'well, you can all just sit right there in the milk as far as I'm concerned, until I find out which one of you said it.' Mass Punishment--the idea is to turn them against eachother." -Emily Krueger...my fave Jersey Girl!
KMart Cowgirl

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:25 pm

im going to the murryfield gig just to see james brown

then titp a few days later for more james brown :D

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr][s]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies[/s]
[s]Website http://www.maxeh.co.uk [The Music Community]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 pm

Quoting kmart cowgirl from 17:05, 2nd Jul 2005
just returned from the rally and protest in edinburgh! amazing!

So, prey tell, what did the Rally / Protest actually achieve? The only thing constructive it seems to have done is make the streets devoid of cars, cycling was great today!

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby rae on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:39 pm

MPH march was great, really glad I went. Just been watching the coverage and they just brought out onto stage that girl who was in the Live Aid video twenty years ago - the one in the final shot, who looked dead. She's just finished her exams and is gorgeous and ALIVE. The last set of concerts did something and if all I can do is march around Edinburgh to show that I'm not apathetic then that's what I'm going to do. Why on earth slag it off? It's something, which is more than's been done before.

[hr]

In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:29 pm

Quoting rae from 19:39, 2nd Jul 2005
Why on earth slag it off? It's something, which is more than's been done before.

Actually there's probably a lot of reasons. Despite the fact you swallowed the bait they fed you about how live aid did more than forward the careers of some more washed up rockstars. Have you considered the amount of waste and carbon that such displays of "not being apathetic" cause? Live 8 is nothing more than a gratuitous display of hand-wringing middle class apologeticness. You would have done the world a lot more good by sitting at home in the dark not running any water, not using up any resources and not pandering to a lot of self-serving "stars."

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby KMart Cowgirl on Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:07 pm

I'll take your criticism, really I will because believe me I have plenty of it myself. I'm not convinced that a bunch of pop stars can change the world. I know that Live Aid didn't solve Africa's problems, and neither will this. And to be perfectly honest I probably won't see an end to Africa's problems or any other part of the world's problems in my lifetime. I doubt my children or their children will either, because even if we do make poverty history, another problem will be there to face.

But you asked what we did today. You ask what we accomplished, and for the last few lines all I have done is echo your cynicism. But I can tell you what we did today in one line:

We entered a conversation.

Today we saw 500,000 people in Britain and numerous others worldwide enter a converstation about poverty, about debt relief, about aid, trade justice and the problems of Africa. We entered a conversation with ourselves, with our communities and with our leaders. It is very easy in our western liberal democracies to fain political participation by going to the polls and electing new leaders once every few years. But all too often we forget that those leaders represent us. We don't just have to deliever our opinions and give those leaders mandates on election day, rather we have to be active every day of our lives, because we are confronted with the political every day of our lives.

Today thousands of people took up the challenge to be political, and that is a bold statement in a conversation that has been going on for far too long without the voices of average people. And not only that but in making a fuss, we diverted the attentions of even more people who didn't take up the challenge.

Make Poverty History, and Live 8 have focused popular attention on a very important meeting of our leaders, world leaders who do have the power to make change. As a voter and a citizen they are making those decisions in my name, I'm sure as hell going to continue to use my voice and join with as many more as I can to be heard. Over the past few weeks and months many people have learned for the first time about the G8, about the situation in Africa and throughout the world, they have learned about the WTO and I imagine that many have entered a conversation that they probably wouldn't have entered otherwise. And today the world has heard them loud and clear.

Maybe it won't change anything, but at least we don't have to sit back and say that we did nothing. I did something, I spoke loudly, and I was part of a great event!

[hr]

KMart Cowgirl

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:16 pm

Spare me. You went to a concert, and to assume that you 'entered a conversation' is quite frankly insulting to all the people who aren't Bob Geldof, Bono et al who have been trying to help Africa, and indeed it's insulting to the Africans themselves. Have you entered into a conversation with them? No? Crikey. Who'd have thought of doing that though?

Sir Bob? naaaaaaaaah

Yep, I'm a cynic, please don't bother pointing that out. To pretend that live8 is going to do anything BUT raise awareness is naive. Become an Aid worker love.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Spare me. You went to a concert, and to assume that you 'entered a conversation' is quite frankly insulting to all the people who aren't Bob Geldof, Bono et al who have been trying to help Africa, and indeed it's insulting to the Africans themselves. Have you entered into a conversation with them? No? Crikey. Who'd have thought of doing that though?

Sir Bob? naaaaaaaaah

Yep, I'm a cynic, please don't bother pointing that out. To pretend that live8 is going to do anything BUT raise awareness is naive. Become an Aid worker love.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

triple post y'all. sorry.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:24 pm

Quoting kmart cowgirl from 23:07, 2nd Jul 2005

But you asked what we did today. You ask what we accomplished, and for the last few lines all I have done is echo your cynicism. But I can tell you what we did today in one line:

We entered a conversation.

with all the millions of non-starving non-african middle-class corporate refugees i encountered in Edinburgh? I hope they were listening well because im pretty sure most of them were more worried if the TV cameras could see their fashionable "make poverty history" wristband or if they had missed Coldplay on the telly than much else...

Today we saw 500,000 people in Britain and numerous others worldwide enter a converstation about poverty, about debt relief, about aid, trade justice and the problems of Africa. We entered a conversation with ourselves, with our communities and with our leaders.

African poverty to the West! We owe you a debt of gratitude obviously, its about time we realised that the world was inequal etc. etc...
It is very easy in our western liberal democracies to fain political participation by going to the polls and electing new leaders once every few years. But all too often we forget that those leaders represent us. We don't just have to deliever our opinions and give those leaders mandates on election day, rather we have to be active every day of our lives, because we are confronted with the political every day of our lives.

Like i've said before, African corruption costs Africa 50% more PER YEAR than the TOTAL AFRICAN DEBT TO THE WEST. Why werent you protesting against african dictatorship, Juntas, self impose monarchies? The west has poured money into africa for 50 years to no avail, and has only increased sufeffing. Africa can only progress with a change of culture in Africa itself. It does not need more aid, or more pity from the west. It needs Africans to be empowered to spend their own money wisely for their own needs.

Today thousands of people took up the challenge to be political, and that is a bold statement in a conversation that has been going on for far too long without the voices of average people. And not only that but in making a fuss, we diverted the attentions of even more people who didn't take up the challenge.

Yes its a tradgedy, maybe if you keep protesting then women, the working class, homosexuals, blacks, browns, yellows and whites may be allowed to freely vote for their own leaders one day.

I hope you were wearing your white wristband by the way, as it confined some Chinese workers to a life of poverty producing cheep fashionable rubber products for the West.

Sleep well!

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 00:16, 3rd Jul 2005
Become an Aid worker love.

If only you knew how ironic that comment was...

[hr]

veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:55 am

Oh for god sake a lot of you people are miserable pessimistic cynics. The concerts were doing the equivelant of a protest march, but instead of marching, they have a concert instead, allowing people who were unable to attend to "participate" by watching. People who may not have known or cared about the issue of poverty but watched the concert for the entertainment value, will unquestionably have been made aware of the problem and surely touched a bit. Heck, I have to say I really didn't give much of a shit about the whole poverty in Africa issue. I only watched the concert for the music and fuss, but having sat through all 11 hours of it complete with the original news footage, bringing out of the girl who was thought dead from one of the videos etc I felt completely different. I was reduced to tears at the video footage which is not something I ever do. I usually roll my eyes and change the channel. Having seen it all, I feel very motivated about the issue. I'm betting I wasn't the only one whose eyes were properly opened to the real horror of the problem.

So what it didn't actually raise any money or literally build a well or 2. It's bound to seriously boost charity donations indirectly anyway. But the purpose was to rally people together as a pressure group to make damn sure our voices are heard by those 8 leaders who can actually do something. The potential impact of protests is always calculated by the number of people it managed to rally together. It doesn't get much bigger than lastnight. And having motivated so many with the concert lastnight, even if it was through music, I'm betting the turnout for the actual Edinburgh march will be greater because of it, by many people who originally wouldn't have, but have been motivated by their experience lastnight. Heck, I sure have been, and I'm just one cynical person. I'm betting I'm not the only one. Not many would have tuned in if the rally was just a bunch of people boring us with speeches.

[hr]

http://standrews.thefacebook.com/profil ... d=37100117
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:03 am

Live 8 is NOT about raising money.

If Live8 hadn't been set up, would as many people today know about the situation in Africa and know that by making their voice heard they could actually influence the actions of the people responsible for making the decisions?

It's great that we have democracy, but unless we exercise our right to vote, and our right to guide our representatives, there's no point to democracy.

Bitching about Bob Geldof from your flat may eventually make a worldwide change, but until the G8 leaders start reading The Sinner (I have no proof that they do or do not, though the site has been visited from .gov.uk and .gov IPs), the only way you're going to make a difference is to make your voice heard, along with the rest of the country.

And the wristbands are made in Tunbridge Wells, among other places in the UK.
Oli

Re:

Postby rae on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:53 am

Surely, flarewearer and others, you must agree that there are problems in Africa. So you, as a student/graduate, have no music career to flog, no agenda as the leader of a major country. What then, is your brilliant plain for helping the third world? I really would like to hear it. Because if all I did was march, at least I DID something to show that I care about this and it needs to stop. What about you?

[hr]

rae

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board