Home

TheSinner.net

uni phones

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

uni phones

Postby rae on Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:01 pm

I've just heard something about the residence phones being charged a higher rate and that we should use 01334 rather than 0870 to avoid that. Is this true? Does anyone know if it applies to overseas callers? And WHY are they so mean (not overseas caller--phone companies)?
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:34 pm

[s]rae wrote on 14:01, 27th Sep 2002:
I've just heard something about the residence phones being charged a higher rate and that we should use 01334 rather than 0870 to avoid that. Is this true? Does anyone know if it applies to overseas callers? And WHY are they so mean (not overseas caller--phone companies)?

In 1999, the university decided to choose Ericsson as the phone provider.
BT had also put in an offer, but it would cost the university £1m. Ericsson's bid would cost the university nothing.

As part of the deal, Ericsson would also pay for the installation of the resnet computer system.

All this would cost the university nothing, and Ericsson could recoup the cost of the installation from the charges made for phone calls. Unfortunately, the call charges were astronomically high (something like 13p per minute for a local rate call), and so people stopped using the internal phones to make calls, and instead bought mobile phones.

In a further attempt to claim back some of the money that they had spent, Ericsson implemented a series of 0870 (national rate) phone numbers which diverted to each individual internal phone. They published this number, hoping that everyone trying to call into the university network would pay a little extra.

Now that's not a problem for parents and friends who live outside the local call rate (or even overseas callers), but if you have friends in flats trying to contact you for a pint, they would have to pay a national rate for a local call.

Fortunately for us, and unluckily for Ericsson, the local numbers still work.

So if you see anybody using the 0870 number, tell them that they can be reached on 01334 42xxxx where the last four digits are their internal extension number.

To make internal calls, you don't need a "Student Connect" account - you can use any internal phone to call any other internal phone free of charge.
Oli

Re:

Postby rae on Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:55 pm

Thanks Oli, you are a peach and a wealth of information. It was so neat to actually see the man behind the screen on Saturday!
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Marky Boy on Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:58 pm

What did the Ericsson offer have over the BT one, if any? (apart from cost, natch)

Who owns the ResNet equipment, then, as well? Is it Uni-owned, or do Ericsson graciously lease it out to them for a large sack full of cash each year?

And... why are the handsets so crap?
Marky Boy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:59 pm

My advice is don't bother with the internal phones for outgoing calls, just have a mobile phone - even though the rates from Student Connect have fallen, pay-as-you-go is still a better all round deal.

Although internal calls are great.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:43 pm

01334 46xxxx also works.
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:19 pm

A peach eh? I'll take that as a compliment, not a slur on my brightly coloured sweater.

EvilTwin - I believe that the university are phasing out the 46 prefix, so not all numbers work with that.
Oli

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:15 am

3 Years ago the uni was phasing out the 42 prefix. Hoo Hum

[hr][s]One, Nothing wrong with me, Two, Nothing Wrong with me, Three, Nothing Wrong with me, Four, Nothing Wrong with me - Drowning Pool[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby Monster Sink on Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:30 am

Well you know the university. Always coming up with fresh, new ideas!
Monster Sink

Return to The Sinner's Main Board