Home

TheSinner.net

BEWARE: New Hall Cash Machine (ATM)

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:44 pm

Sorry flayre and P_Ten, but I dont see why you should have to pay to get your own money out. You cant always predict how much money you'll need. £1.50 is a bit of an extortionate sum, esp. if you are taking out a tenner. If all banks jump on the bandwagon, it's even more unfair. Are the SAAS going to give you your loan cash in hand? No. So why should you lose money on it?
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't like the idea of paying to get cash out anymore than anyone else. It's simply unrealistic to believe that every cashpoint in the world could always be free.

And the companies that bought the cashpoints are unlikely to have been motivated by the kindness of their hearts and as banks seem keen to sell them off, it would be fair to say that one is going to have to accept this trend and get used to a walk.

Anyway by the year 1980, we'll all be driving around in our own personal hovercraft and using plastic money - cash will be obsolete!

As to getting money from SAAS in the form of cash - that would be pretty awesome. A big bag of £10s and £20s to roll about in, that's going to teach people a valuable lesson in personal finance.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:51 pm

I managed a year in DRH when the closest cash machine was the new hall one, and i turned out a pretty rounded individual... ...ok, thats a lie, i didn't, but seriously! cash machines everywhere charge you, if you dont like it, don't use them, go to one that doesn't charge, it's NOT difficult, you are paying for the convenience of service

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:22 pm

So let me get this straight - our senior student knew about this and didn't tell the rest of the committee........hmmmmm
harmless loony

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:37 pm

Does anyone remember feeling gypped by the "You have been charged a 2.5% card handling fee" message you got when paying by plastic in Tescos? Turns out they were charging the same as if you'd paid by cash and it was all a massive VAT avoidance scam. Man do I feel silly for wandering around with wads of tenners whenever I needed booze!
md25

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Whenever I see one of those rip offs, I just think to myself, "Alex, if you kept that money, you'd only drink it away, the banks have just saved your liver one more drink."

In Mexico they ask you if you want to donate 3 pesos to charity whenever you use a Bancomat

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:55 pm

i would be rightly pissed off if my own bank tried to charge me to take my money out, but if a private company is so kind as to put a machine in a convenient place then why shouldnt they charge people for the service? If you have a problem with this, go to the next cash machine and by contributing to the cash-machine companies funds you are voting with your feet. If you like the convenience, pay for it.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 02:03, 23rd Aug 2005
grow up! its not as if you can spend money on the north haugh anyway...£1.50 is standard for paying cash machines anyway
[hr]

Clearly there are at least 2 (if not more) places to spend cash on the Haugh...and its the principle of having to pay upto 15% in order to get your own money out...

Thieving Gits!!

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 pm

Quoting from 08:25, 23rd Aug 2005
.and its the principle of having to pay upto 15% in order to get your own money out...

No, its the principle of paying for a service; a company maintians the machine, provides power and a phoneline for it, refills it when it gets low etc. Thats what you are paying for.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:44 pm

No one has really made the point that people are pissed off because we're used to 'free' cash machines in general across the country, and the one at New Hall used to be free. If I was in New Hall, I'd be pissed off too. It's not like the service has improved or anything.

Also, about carrying money about. One of the reasons behind cash machines, as well as convenience, was that a person didn't have to carry loads of money about with them, which could mean they were a target for thieves, and instead they can go to a cash machine whenever they're short of money and get a little bit out. This charging idea that has only really started about 3-5 years ago goes against that principle.

Plus, it's fucking annoying. I know I wouldn't use that machine now, I'd rahter walk into town than give my money to the cunts that decided to make a profit on it. In fact, I'd rather pay 1.50 in a taxi to get to a cash machine in town than use that one. But I guess that's what 'voting with your feet' means.

Are cash machines that charge you typical in other countries? Do you have to pay money to use machines in America? I'd personally doubt it, but I don't know.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Yemminie on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting Rennie from 01:44, 24th Aug 2005Are cash machines that charge you typical in other countries? Do you have to pay money to use machines in America? I'd personally doubt it, but I don't know.

If you go to an ATM that belongs to your bank, it's free. You get charged to use ATMs that belong to other banks. Usually about $1.50, and then your bank will charge you another $1-$1.50 for using someone else's ATM. Frequently, there will be groupings of ATMS together. At my home university, there was a row of four ATMS, each one representing a popular bank. Sometimes there will be just one ATM in a gas station or something, and that one generally won't belong to any particular bank, so it will charge everyone a fee to use it. Most people circumvent all of this by using the cash back option when they pay with a debit card. That is always free.

Another thing you have to remember is that the US is not pedestrian friendly. It's generally not a matter of having to walk into town to find a free ATM - it's simply a matter of driving just a little bit farther to get to a branch of your bank. They're everywhere. They're even more plentiful than grocery stores, and where I live, there are four gigantic grocery stores within 1.5 miles of my house.
Yemminie

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:36 am

Let's face it - all pubs need to do is start accepting plastic and cash becomes pretty much pointless, oh and taxis.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby terry towelling on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:12 am

Is the Union the only bar in town that doesn't accept plastic?
Offsales does, but not the main bar.

Something should be done!
terry towelling

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting terry towelling from 11:12, 24th Aug 2005

Indeed; they should move the union cash machine into the building, so the general public can't steal all the £10 notes and the bouncer's can't let you go to the cash machine and not let you back in trick for their own amusement...

[hr]

flarewearer

Freshers Week

Postby La Jouissance on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:20 am

I sincerely hope that no one encourages this by using this machine. Is the Senior Student/Committee planning something like a big sign for above the offending machine letting people know?

I can remember how on the first day of freshers week, LOADS of parents took out money for Hall Subs and other expenses. Whoever's running that machine will be in for a big payday then!
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:16 am

Well given that I'm a committee member and knew nothing about it - means info wasn't shared with us by whoever it was who knew.

I suggest if you want something done then contact the committee via nhcom@st-andrews.ac.uk and we can get the senior student to do something about it.

Luckily, subs will not be taken off people as they enter New Hall this year because now the subs automatically come out of your rent - this should lessen the pay for whoever put the new machine there.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:02 am

What makes you think it doesn't accept plastic? ;-P

[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby mistergrumps on Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:51 am

Relevant news story today:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/sto ... 49,00.html

>>New rules which took effect in July mean that all fee->>charging ATMs must carry a message on their screens >>before a card is inserted, warning that they charge for >>withdrawals. Machines must also have an external >>sign, next to the screen and easy to read, stating that >>they charge.
mistergrumps

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Ben Reilly from 12:02, 24th Aug 2005

What makes you think it doesn't accept plastic? ;-P

[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com

I saw somebody tonight paying with a Debit Card identical to mine. The bar does accept plastic, but I think it's only for transactions worth £5+.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:24 pm

... but of course, anyone who uses plastic to pay for a bar transaction on a Friday night at the union, when some people are waiting up to 41 mins for a drink, is a total twat.

There's a cash machine just outside and another 3 within one minutes walk.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board