Home

TheSinner.net

St.A's Webmail

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St.A's Webmail

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:41 pm

This, I know is going to sound really petty, but...
Why does the default language for the University webmail have to show the preferred language as 'English (US)'?

I know thats better than something like Mandarin for the vast majority of us, but we are in Britain and not the good ol', rootin' tootin US of A. Yee-ha etcetera.
Homer

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:25 am

As far as I can tell, it depends when you login or where you login from. I don't use the webmail much but I've seen it default to both 'English(US)' and 'English(UK)'. Then I went along to it this morning and it just defaulted to 'English'. The webmail system being used (IMP or HOARDE or some combination of the two) is a comercially available one so perhaps ITS didn't get round to adapting it until now.
And also, did any notice any differences between UK English (ie actual English, as spoken in England) or US English for the purposes of the webmail system?

ps. Before anyone jumps on my back for me saying that UK English is what's spoken in England as opposed to saying what's spoken in Britain, I've yet to see any computer program that claims to be using UK English and recognises Scottish coloquialisms. Or those from any of the other regional dialects around the country. Perhaps calling it English(Home Counties) would be more accurate.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:45 pm

Sad though I am I haven't actually logged onto webmail using the English (US) default language, I always get morally outraged and make sure I change it.

I believe the system they are using now is HORDE.
Homer

Re:

Postby Zen on Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:10 pm

Talking of annoying computery type things...why is the psychology web page being such a big pain in the ass?? I need to get my notes off of it and it keeps going on about missing some colour connection and showing me black pages!!! How will i ever be able to sleep in class again if i can't get the notes online????

P.s. I thought I saw you on the way to psychology yesterday james, but I wasn't tooo sure plus I was like speed walking it to class (never speed running, it's just wrong) due to the fact that no matter what time i leave my hall at I always seem to arrive late.

[hr] advice for life: never eat or drink anything blue
Zen

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:08 am

[s]Zen wrote on 00:10, 5th Oct 2002:
P.s. I thought I saw you on the way to psychology yesterday james, but I wasn't tooo sure plus I was like speed walking it to class (never speed running, it's just wrong) due to the fact that no matter what time i leave my hall at I always seem to arrive late.

Running to any class is wrong, especially in 1st year. Tusk Tusk. Next time stop and say Hello.

[hr]
[s]One, Nothing wrong with me, Two, Nothing Wrong with me, Three, Nothing Wrong with me, Four, Nothing Wrong with me - Drowning Pool[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:57 pm

The language on webmail is now set to English as default - before it was English (GB).

This setting can be over-ridden by (a) your operating system (Windows/MacOS/etc) and (b) your browser (Netscape/IE/Opera) - which can force Webmail to use English (US) - rooting tooting or otherwise.

I thank you!

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:18 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 16:18, 9th Oct 2002:
This setting can be over-ridden by ... your browser (Netscape/IE/Opera) - which can force Webmail to use English (US)

On IE if you go to 'Internet Options' on the 'Tools' menu and press on the Languages button on the 'General' tab you can choose which language IE uses as its default language when it goes to webpages which can be seen in different languages - so you can set "English (United Kingdom)" as the default language.
immunodiffusion

Marvelous

Postby Homer on Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:36 pm

Now I can log-on to webmail that much quicker, thanks for the help chaps.
Homer

Re:

Postby jeng on Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:43 pm

why would the language be on US in the first place? it has always bn british when i log on and my laptop always has just english. one thing im puzzled aout tho is why webmail sometimes decides that ur time has expired or something and asks u to log in again..? does anyone know why it does this?
jeng

Re:

Postby RaphX on Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:20 pm

That gets irritating. It was a lot worse with ntlworld's e-mail system - you couldn't go 2 or 3 clicks without it "timing out". Thank goodness for POP3, otherwise I'd have gone insane.
So, how do we access our webmail from OE6?
RaphX

Re:

Postby jeng on Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:24 pm

sorry im not great with computers!- what is OE6? i always just access my mail from the web- webmail.st-andrews.ac.uk, dont know if thats any help- who knows!! i dont even know what OE6 is...
jeng

Re:

Postby James Baster on Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:00 am

Outlook Express 6

Just set your POP & SMTP server to be whatever server you normally use (bute, langs, etc)

[hr][s]One, Nothing wrong with me, Two, Nothing Wrong with me, Three, Nothing Wrong with me, Four, Nothing Wrong with me - Drowning Pool[/s]
James Baster

Return to The Sinner's Main Board