Home

TheSinner.net

Why do so few people here use their real names?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Why do so few people here use their real names?

Postby Saki on Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:20 pm

Just curious. Obviously, I haven't used my real name either. But that was more habit than anything else - Saki is the username I've always used for messageboards.
Saki

Re:

Postby Greebo on Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:32 pm

Same - habit
Also been my nick on boards and in games, for the past forever.
Greebo

Re:

Postby Little she-bear on Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:36 pm

[s]Greebo wrote on 18:32, 10th Oct 2002:
Same - habit
Also been my nick on boards and in games, for the past forever.

I'ts also practical. I suppose lots of people have same/similar first names and it would get confusing on a message board where people can't see your face. Plus the anonymity of it all can be fun.
Little she-bear

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:36 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:04 am

I did just write a big long reply to this but then my computer crashed when I pressed the post button. So, to sumarise:

Christian names v.common, therefore on boards where only distinguishing feature is name, need a unique name.

Most standard names will already be taken on big sites, eg Yahoo, so people come up with new names rather than being called mike200218432xxx. Then use these new names for other sites rather than risk going through the process of trying already taken names as they did on the first site.

Mystique/Glamour affoarded by the right psuedonom. Made references to superheroes. Spiderman sounds cooler than Peter etc...

That was about it I think.

[hr]I live my life head first, straight down
Waiting for the day when I hit the ground.
I don't care where, I don't care when
I just hope I'll feel right again.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Dave on Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:02 am

'S a bunch of arse. I wanna know who people are so that when I accidently slag 'em on the boards I know when to run in the real world.

Anyway, my real name gives me all the mystique I need.

And I was well amused to hear in the street the other night a kine across the road say "there's JamieMalk and a friend".

Is anonymity a good thing, or should I get depressed that I am no longer universally recognisable?
Dave

Re:

Postby JJ on Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:37 pm

Although JJ is not my real name, I am thinking about changing my name by deed poll. Doesn't help with the anonymity thing though!

ACtually, that could have been more witty, but I haven't got the brainpower today.
JJ

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:51 pm

Pseudonymns are all part of the fun of the internet - not to mention the already stated fact that when you have a few million people all on, first names tend to be a little undistinguishing - and a full name is either too formal or too much information.

It's also kind of like a security blanket for those that cherish their anonymity.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby RaphX on Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:50 pm

Ach, it's good as a general name for all sorts of places. Only in the place that are "important", would you reveal who you really are.
RaphX

Re:

Postby wookiee on Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:37 pm

My parents just had a wierd sense of humour and were total Star Wars fanatics....
Computer games don't affect kids;I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, people would be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.....
wookiee

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:32 pm

[s]CarolynSD wrote on 21:36, 10th Oct 2002:
no one that goes on this site knows me anyhow

I wouldn't be too sure of that Carolyn. There are many people who are closet users. Your best friend might be one of the most frequent posters!
Thackary

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:47 pm

As I've said before (perhaps under a different name), I think that people "speak" differently when they're typing from when they're talking in real life.

I've noticed it in myself, and I think that it's the case with many others.

However, it's not so much a case of how I write, as how people read what I've written.

I think that it's especially important to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted. After all, if we were to use the English language correctly, then it would be impossible to misinterpret what we write.
But the fact is that people write how they want to, or at least how they're taught.

I use my real name most of the time, but I also post under another account for messages which don't necessarily need any confirmation or weight behind them.

If I feel strongly enough about something, then I'm quite happy to endorse my comments with my name. However a lot of the time I'm just chatting or having fun, and I see no need to use my real name.

I'm sure that a lot of people know who I am, and I'd appreciate it if they kept that to themselves. In fact, I think it is courteous to those who choose not to reveal their true identities, to keep that information secret.

If users want to reveal themselves to the readers of the Sinner, then they can do that quite easily through their profile page. But most choose not to, and I think it's only fair to respect that decision, and keep quiet if you know who's who, and what's right.
Oli

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:45 pm

"Although JJ is not my real name, I am thinking about changing my name by deed poll. Doesn't help with the anonymity thing though!

ACtually, that could have been more witty, but I haven't got the brainpower today."

Two questions:
1) What are you planning to change your name to?
2) "Today"?!?

[hr]"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Al

Re:

Postby Decadence on Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:27 pm

[s]Dave wrote on 10:02, 11th Oct 2002:
'S a bunch of arse. I wanna know who people are so that when I accidently slag 'em on the boards I know when to run in the real world.

Anyway, my real name gives me all the mystique I need.

And I was well amused to hear in the street the other night a kine across the road say "there's JamieMalk and a friend".

Is anonymity a good thing, or should I get depressed that I am no longer universally recognisable?

No Dave, you're just too old and been in St Andrews _far_ too long... >;}

D.

PS: Anyway, why would I want to use my real name? Nobody has EVER got it right >;}

[hr]
"Yes, I am an agent of Satan,
But my duties are largely ceremonial."

... Thus spake the Cardinal of Decadence
Decadence

My nom dé web here (just in case you were interested:))

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:33 pm

came about because of two simple reasons:
• Where I live
and
• The Winslow boy had just been on TV when I registered.
And I think that the reason that most people don't use their real names on web-boards like this is they at least like the illusion of privacy.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby JJ on Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:30 am

[s]Al wrote on 23:45, 11th Oct 2002: [/i]

Two questions:
1) What are you planning to change your name to?
2) "Today"?!?

[/i]

Sorry - bad case of not typing in what I was thinking (or not as the case may be) - changing to JJ (obviously) - and as for point 2, well, yes - I did walk into that. I will, however, treat that comment with the utter contempt that it surely deserves!
JJ

Re:

Postby kensson on Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:59 am

I suspect that most people who know me also know that I'm Kensson, for it is also my stage name (hoho! another opportunity to plug my CD launch on Sunday!) And I think Oli's right, as Kensson I will tend to voice opinions in public that I wouldn't necessarily voice under my real name.

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:26 pm

Anyone (un)lucky enough to know me in RL will know that I'm every bit as offensive in person as online.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:24 pm

"I will, however, treat that comment with the utter contempt that it surely deserves!" (JJ)

Ha! I do not care for your contempt. I spit upon your contempt.

[hr]"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Al

Return to The Sinner's Main Board