Home

TheSinner.net

Translating Fun!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Translating Fun!

Postby Ellkie on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:00 pm

I translated this line from a very famous song and got this...it has inasmuch as that one bathes on the roof and the beauty in the surplus of the moonlight it has them throws to you......can anyone guess what it is?

This could be fun. Carry it on.

[hr]

Dr Who. New teeth. I think i need a doctor. Don't drop the banana; good source of potassium.
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re:

Postby Celestial Navigator on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:12 pm

Didn't Jo Whiley used to do this as a competition on Radio 1 several years back?
Celestial Navigator

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting Celestial Navigator from 23:12, 22nd Nov 2005
Didn't Jo Whiley used to do this as a competition on Radio 1 several years back?

Ooh, yes, I remember distracting myself from otherwise uninteresting Standard Grade German classes (I was the only student, doing it via videoconference) some years ago - would have been about 2001/2 methinks.

As for the actual lyric, I'm a bit too tired to actually try to figure it out. Standing in front of a light desk for 4 hours with a whole 10 people in the bop isn't always the most interesting thing...

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:27 am

Not quite related to this, but still translation fun...

A couple of my friends translated 'Do you fancy a bum?' into Dutch and back and got 'Do you imagine a Beatnik?'

I don't know why, but myself and themselves both find it ridiculously funny. If you ever find the opportunity, utter it in our presences(if you can work out who) and it'll be
like a secret society...

but broadcast on a public website...

Frank
Frank

Re:

Postby MollyJ on Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Some magazine did that with famous movie quotes, I fail to remember which magazine and which quotes. But it was funny.
MollyJ

Re:

Postby suigeneris on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:37 pm

It's from Hallelujah -

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty
in the moonlight
overthrew you

I think.
suigeneris

Return to The Sinner's Main Board