Home

TheSinner.net

an american posts

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

an american posts

Postby annafromUS on Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:57 am

hi there!
i was lurking about the saint andrew's webpage when i came across the wonderful link for this sinners board or whatever nonsense it is. it's wonderful nonsense anyway. i'm hoping to come study abroad at st. andrew's next year and i was wondering if anyone had any terribly positive or terribly negative thoughts on the matter. i'm a student at the university of north carolina right now. does anyone know if the russian and eastern european centre is any good at your school (not to imply that anything wouldn't be super-spectactular)? i study russian language and area studies and from the website your school seems to have a fairly decent program.
i also am a dancer, ballet mostly (other types as well), and i was wondering what sort of opportunities (if any) there are at the University for either study or performance.
most of all i just wanted to chat a bit with you folks and hear about life up there in Scotland.
things have been rather crazy over here in the U.S. what with random snipers and congress voting to go to war.

hope you are all having a wonderful week! ready for halloween?

Anna
annafromUS

Dancin'

Postby Sophs on Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:57 am

Yeah, the University has plenty of opportunities for dancing. The dance society provides classes for all abilities (elephants to swans) in tap, ballet, jazz, hip hop, contemporary, irish, and sometimes flamenco. All these classes take place in the sports centre, where there's a mirror and bar, etc. The teachers are all fun and enthusiastic. The year's worth of dancing culminates in a spectacular show for all to see and enjoy (am I selling it yet?) which takes place over a few days. There's also the ethnic and interpretive dance society - which caters for people with slightly more off-the-wall interests, like belly-dancing, etc. They also provide pretty good salsa classes, so I hear. Then there's the Ballroom and Latin-American Dance Society - tends to be dominated by girls, but can be fun if you can find a partner....
Alternatively, if you like a bit more of broadway style dancing and singing - you could always try the Just-So society, which puts on great and very professional musical performances, amongst others. This year they are putting on Me and My Girl, and last year they put on Cabaret. Hope this helps....
Sophs

Re:

Postby lazyjayn on Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:35 pm

Speaking as someone who isn't actually in St. Andrews, I can say that it is warmer there than where I am, but much colder, I'm thinkin' than in North Carolina. But since I am at about the same point northwards, I can say that it's kinda odd to get out of class at 4.30 in the afternoon, and have it be rather dark. Oh, yeah, and with the dollar rather weak at the moment, just save yourself the trouble of making an accurate cost guestamate, and simply double any price you see in £'s to get what it costs you in dollars, after VAT and money changing costs, and gigantic flipping credit card costs, if you use one from the west side of the atlantic.
That makes no sense... ah well, whatever. And now I am off to watch monty python and discuss how it is accurate historically, or... nevermind, it's renassance, so machiavelli. have fun, and good luck with study abroad.

lazyjayn
lazyjayn

thanks

Postby annainUS on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:45 am

thanks for helping! it does sound like there is quite a dance community (yes, you did sell it!) on campus, how exciting! i actually went to our study abroad office today- i'm trying to figure out how to study at st. andrews, in st. petersburg, and possibly elsewhere without it costing a ridiculous amount of money. i don't think that can be avoided though. there is a scholarship for north carolinians who have scottish heritage to study in scotland though :) i'm not completely scottish by any means but i definately have some in my blood. i'll just have to come up with the geneology charts to prove it. excellent, excellent. thanks so much! and anyone else who wants to talk about how wonderful the university is go right ahead (i suppose criticisms are welcome as well). if anyone is thinking of studying over here in the states i can give some insiders information on different schools and their social atmosphere's (for example, stay away from Oberlin unless you are looking for massive drug infested orgy parties EVERY night .. . not just friday and saturday) :)
have a good week.
anna
annainUS

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:48 am

In attempt to try to save space, this Yank is posting here too. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on on Saint Andrews Week? I'm coming on the 30th and 1st to see the campus...Also, if I asked someone to show me one of the halls, would that be allowed, or is some form of hall security going to have me removed? ;)

Dance

Postby rae on Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:02 am

Don't get too excited. I've been trying to find swing and latin here for a month and the only people who seem to do swing (Dance Soc) have yet to return my phone calls or emails. BALADS looks pretty friendly, though, But, if you are in to social dances like salsa, there really isn't anywhere to do it on a regular basis, if at all.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:42 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 06:10, 31st Oct 2002:
In attempt to try to save space, this Yank is posting here too. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on on Saint Andrews Week? I'm coming on the 30th and 1st to see the campus...Also, if I asked someone to show me one of the halls, would that be allowed, or is some form of hall security going to have me removed? ;)

As far as I've heard, there aren't any balls going on for St. Andrew's Day, but you should be fine just walking into a random pub and just talking, probably the best way to get to know people. Keep watching the calendar at the top of the front page for information on any events, just in case there is anything on. As for the halls, you should be fine, most of them you can just walk into. I would suggest New Hall if you want to see what it's like, or Andrew Melville if you want to talk to people, as there'll be lots of people either in the foyer or the common room. Just ignore what it looks like.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby cheimon on Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:03 pm

no, check out one of the big modern ones (like new hall) and one of the centre of town 'traditional' ones, so you get a sense of what both types are like.
cheimon

St. Andrew's Day Ball

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:28 pm

Is there a ball on that weekend? It'd be great if there was one, as I've just found out that I've got a couple of Americans staying with me that weekend, and It'd be great to introduce them to balls.
Pilmour Boy

Hmm.

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:31 pm

That so came out wrong.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:48 pm

There's a ceilidh for St Andrew's Day. If that's any help. Check out the Community Council website for more details.

And they often have a firework display down by the cathedral.

[hr]"Happiness is a time, a place...a chemical imbalance"
Al

OK,

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:45 am

thanks, will do. That would be pretty cool.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby lazyjayn on Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:13 pm

Of couse, what I didn't mention with the oddities of natural lighting in the winter is this- in the summer, you can wander out around 11pm and it will still be rather light out... and people who are actually there... don't you get auroras?
Oh, and there is a lot of beer.

lazyjayn- putting the important things last, as always.
lazyjayn

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:13 pm

Thanks! That does help- I found the community council page, and I guess I will be there for the fireworks and Christmas lighting ceremony (?). I'm looking forward to this, it'll be fun! Oh, and can anyone tell me how long (via train) St Andrews is from Durham? Gracias :)

It takes about

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:10 pm

three hours to get to from Durham to Leuchars, but then you'll have to either get a taxi or the bus to St. A's. I've just realised that the BASH is that weekend. Check out http://www.thebash.co.uk for details. I think we'll be going.
Pilmour Boy

On the other hand,

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:16 pm

maybe not. I've just seen the price
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:59 am

That is bloody extortionate.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby rae on Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:18 pm

Couldn't find the prices. How much is it?
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:25 pm

about £50 per person
The Kaiser

lets get to the point

Postby annastillinUS on Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:54 am

let's get this straight then shall we? alright so i've got dancing covered at St. Andrews . . . no one seems to have anything to say about the Russian And European Studies bit . . . that's alright, no one here at U.North Carolina has anything to say about our program. So . . . on to more important things . . .namely, alcohol and sex. You all seem to be bloody alcoholics, which is perfectly fine with me and will be a nice break from some of these straight-laced public ivy-leaguers. and sex .. . on these threads you don't seem to talk about it all that much . . . someone be straight with me .. . whats normal? long-term monogamy? one-nights when sober or stricly only when completely drunk? and do people hate American girls, or think them all to be sluts, b/c that William guy is there, or are there still some open minds?
Slightly less touchy . . . my school only allows spring semester abroad at St. Andrews, i've no idea why but how is spring over there? how long is break? i'm sure i could find out this information on the St. Andrews site, but its so much easier if i can get it all out of you lot in one go :)
thanks alot
anna
annastillinUS

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board