Home

TheSinner.net

Deader than a doornail.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Deader than a doornail.

Postby novium on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 am

Poor old sinner. It's finally died now, hasn't it?
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re: Deader than a doornail.

Postby macgamer on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:35 am

Poor old Sinner, indeed. I do check it from time to time, hoping to find RedCelt69 locking horns with wild_quinine or Senethro. But I think those days are over.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Senethro on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 pm

So dead.

I'm kind of puzzled where the 1000s of pageviews are coming from.
Senethro

Postby orudge on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 pm

There were at least many, many thousands of spam posts awaiting moderator approval, last time I visited this place (several months ago). They seem to have all gone now, maybe somebody deleted them.

EDIt: Ah, I see Oli did.
orudge
Administrator

Postby wild_quinine on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 am

It's like usenet without the binaries.
wild_quinine

Postby macgamer on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:23 am

wild_quinine wrote:It's like usenet without the binaries.

I doubt the average undergraduate today would even have a clue what Usenet is / was. They probably just about remember dial-up.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
macgamer

Postby novium on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 am

Hey you guys. How's life?

macgamer wrote:
wild_quinine wrote:It's like usenet without the binaries.

I doubt the average undergraduate today would even have a clue what Usenet is / was. They probably just about remember dial-up.

There's a damn depressing thought.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Postby wild_quinine on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:47 pm

The most depressing thing for many of us who were around for the birth of the commercial internet, is that those early days of the web, and the rise of Napster, may well be our Summer of Love. It was a brief period in which we believed we could make the world a better place, before the worst of human nature set in, and the firewalls, censorship and lawsuits began. In the event, we may have been hopelessly naive.

On the plus side, life is good. Thanks for asking.

Since the Fife Park book I have had two kids and written a significant chunk of another two books. I've made more time in my life to write, and changed jobs from the one that was eating me alive.

If the sinner is still alive when I finish one of those books, I'll let you all know.
wild_quinine

Postby macgamer on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Things could be better.

I hope to finish my PhD thesis before Christmas, which might, should, be possible. However, I feel I have wasted four years of my life. My supervisor has a heart of stone. If I am appreciated, she keeps it to herself.

Today was quite a bad day. My pet cat is seriously ill. I took her to the animal hospital and was told it has kidney failure and probably won't live. She's such a loving creature.

Obviously, life could be much worse -- it hasn't been destroyed by a typhoon for example.
macgamer

Postby wild_quinine on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 pm

macgamer wrote:I hope to finish my PhD thesis before Christmas, which might, should, be possible. However, I feel I have wasted four years of my life. My supervisor has a heart of stone. If I am appreciated, she keeps it to herself.

Feeling low during the last tiring run of any big project is common. Keep going, you've almost done it!

And remember, you were never writing a PhD thesis for your supervisor.

Maybe read some http://www.phdcomics.com, to remind yourself of how much of this experience you share with a diaspora of kindred spirits.
wild_quinine

Postby macgamer on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:50 am

wild_quinine wrote:Maybe read some http://www.phdcomics.com, to remind yourself of how much of this experience you share with a diaspora of kindred spirits.

Yes, I do occasionally.

I feel as if this is my present state:

19th December is the deadline for a pre-Christmas submission. -.-
macgamer

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:44 am

No, it's all still going strong!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Spiryt on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:52 pm

Funnily enough I was just remniscing, tried my old account, credentials still check out... Wow, nostalgia overload.
I meant every word I said, But only said half the words I meant
There's a load more where they came from, I suppose will get left unsent
Spiryt

Return to The Sinner's Main Board