Home

TheSinner.net

Dear Aikmans,

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Dear Aikmans,

Postby MadDog20/20 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:55 pm

If you've got a complaint to raise with Aikmans, please approach them.

The Sinner is a public message board, and not to be used for personal correspondance.

-Admin
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby Smith on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting MadDog20/20 from 14:55, 6th Mar 2006
see above

If you'd have complained at the time it would have worked out better for you, don't you think?

If I've ever had a problem with food service/waiting times/quality of food, and raised a complaint, it usually results in part or all of the meal coming for free.

Complaining on the Internet the next day isn't really the best way to solve the problem.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:17 pm

It does read more like a personal journal rant than something that the rest of us really need to hear (especially when it concerns our beloved Aikmans!)

Good work Admin, for once I agree with this use of censorship!

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:19 pm

tho, it doesnt help that its still quoted!

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Notorious on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:38 pm

/
Notorious

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting Notorious from 15:38, 6th Mar 2006
/

Since the letter is gone, your premises in each voting condition won't make a lot of sense to a lot of people...Besides, you leave out the most notable option that the letter simply didn't belong on the Main Board (how many times are people yelled at for posting advice threads here?)

NB: I didn't delete the letter.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Notorious on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:46 pm

and how many times are those threads deleted??

Here's the text again if you missed it.....

(deleted)
-Admin
Notorious

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:59 pm

I agree with Smith - you really should have complained at the time. What is posting this letter going to accomplish? You have had a meal you were not happy with - and have missed the opportunity to get compensation for it. Unless it's been done already, I'd just hand the damn thing to the owners rather than doing this - it's petulant.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:16 pm

We did complain at the time. Unfortunately the management weren't there.

The whole episode was completely ridiculous.

I'll put the smackdown in real life, don't worry about that. I'm not a keyboard hero, unlike a few people on this board.

[hr]

I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:28 pm

I think anyone who uses the phrase "I'll put the smackdown in real life" has already lost.
Al

Re:

Postby RockBoy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Freedom of Speech or????

What is the problem with this board? My friend told earlier today about the crap service we received in an apparently for this site unmentionable pub in town, let’s just call it A. Well now the post has been deleted from the Message Board. I wonder if this has anything to do with the sponsor of this site or is it just not allowed to post negative experiences here?????
RockBoy

Re:

Postby Notorious on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Maybe maddog just thought that this was the most relevant place to vent his spleen about his shit meal, seeing as his posting is probably pointless but he felt horribly oppressed anyway...sound vaguely familar rob?

http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=22070

(sorry to misquote you Rob...I don't mean this to be a personal attack...I just don't think that the arguments against Maddog's post are valid)

Maddog was perfectly correct to post that on this board. No other boards immediately come to mind that would have been more suited to his rant.

Of course Admin have every right to remove whatever post they want. I would be less annoyed if Admin's reasoning made sense. RockBoy has probably (at least partially) hit the nail on the head as to the real reason.

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 16:59, 6th Mar 2006
I agree with Smith - you really should have complained at the time. What is posting this letter going to accomplish? You have had a meal you were not happy with - and have missed the opportunity to get compensation for it. Unless it's been done already, I'd just hand the damn thing to the owners rather than doing this - it's petulant.
Notorious

Re:

Postby Smith on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm

To be honest, I don't rate aikmans at all. The food is little above average, the whole place needs redecorating, and the beer is nothing special, especially the Real Ales.

The Whey Pat is really the only place to get a decent pint of ale in town, possibly followed by Lafferty's, assuming they still do ales in there, I haven't been in in a while.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:25 pm

The removal of the post has nothing to do with the sponsorship of the site.

If someone has a complaint, then there are ways and means of making sure it gets through to the person responsible. Posting it on The Sinner is the equivalent of putting it in a corked bottle and throwing it into the sea.

Grumbling about things on The Sinner is not the way forward; writing a letter and talking to the person/people responsible will achieve far more.

I'll put the smackdown in real life

hah.
Admin

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:06 pm

Internet Hero? I always fancied myself as an Internet Warrior myself...

IW Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:19 pm

That 2 choice poll is fucking stupid and so is this thread and so is this rediculous censorship row. He should have complained at the time, posting here in the way he did had no merit. And you should all just clamtehfuxdown.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Notorious on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:25 pm

Dear dear Admin, you would be the owner of a very sparse message board if people were to stop posting on their negative experiences and opinions of St Andrews. Grumbling is an intrinsic characteristic of the St Andrews student....you'd be mad to try and suppress it on this board.

Yes...Maddog's post was a complaint, but if you think it was a serious attempt to make an 'official' grumble to Malcolm, then you have judged wrong. As he said, he did complain at the time.

If he'd written his post in the form of a restaurant review, then I would have expected it to have been left alone. Indeed, I think that the majority of sinners would happily want to hear other's opinions and experiences of St Andrews businesses.

I remember not so long ago, a post on the sinner complaining about the removal of a certain pub's late licence. You would have saved everyone a lot of time writing the subsquent posts if you had expressed your sentiments earlier,

"Grumbling about things on The Sinner is not the way forward; writing a letter and talking to the person/people responsible will achieve far more."

I guarantee that nobody thinks that using the sinner is synonymous with high achievement!

Long live the sinner and long live procrastination!:-)

Quoting Admin from 18:25, 6th Mar 2006
The removal of the post has nothing to do with the sponsorship of the site.

If someone has a complaint, then there are ways and means of making sure it gets through to the person responsible. Posting it on The Sinner is the equivalent of putting it in a corked bottle and throwing it into the sea.

Grumbling about things on The Sinner is not the way forward; writing a letter and talking to the person/people responsible will achieve far more.

l put the smackdown in real life

hah.[/quote]

Edited due to crappy formatting
and can't spell
Notorious

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Posting it on The Sinner is the equivalent of putting it in a corked bottle and throwing it into the sea.

Well you don't go and censor those do you? Why shouldn't he be allowed to complain on the Sinner? As stated above, he did complain at the time and I'm sure it isn't above his intelligence to think of writing a letter directly to Aikmans.
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Grumbling about things on The Sinner is not the way forward;

Way forward or not, it is the function the sinner has adopted. Every other thread bemoans the state of the library, the queues in Tesco and so on. Admin. has his work cut out for him if he is to rid the board of grumblings.
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Grumbling about things on The Sinner is not the way forward;

Way forward or not, it is the function the sinner has adopted. Every other thread bemoans the state of the library, the queues in Tesco and so on. Admin. has his work cut out for him if he is to rid the board of grumblings.
Jason Dunn

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board