Home

TheSinner.net

Hairdressers - best ones? Student discounts?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Hairdressers - best ones? Student discounts?

Postby DinahX on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Do any of the hairdressers offer student discounts?

I'm wanting all my lovely long hair snipped off to a crop by a stylist who will understand what i mean unlike the last one (Charlie Taylor...never again) - i want a good stylist with an imagination. Also I'm wanting highlighs so if any one knows the comparative prices of cuts and dyes in St. andrews hairdressers, that would be a handy bonus.

Recommendations?
DinahX

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Sophie Butler's, without a doubt.

Ask for Judith, Kym, Sharon (if she's still there) - or Sophie herself if you want to pay top whack. Prices are pretty normal for guys' cut and colour... but as with everywhere I think the women's is quite expensive. Think my friend said you're heading around the £70+ mark depending on length. People also recommend Cassi(sp?) but I've never had her.

Avoid Hugh F's and John Alan's. Never had a good experience there and not heard of many who have.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:13 pm

When I saw the title of the thread, I was going to suggest John the Barber, but he may not be quite what you're looking for...

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:22 pm

I'll cut your hair for only 2 pints of ale, and save you a lot of money

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:55 pm

70 pounds! I believe you but, god, that is expensive.

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby flossy on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:58 pm

If you can be arsed to go to Dundee, the male hairdresser at Saks it brilliant.

Otherwise Dynamic Hair on South St is reasonable. There's a blonde English lady who works there who's good.

[hr]

Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:06 pm

I'm looking for recommendations too - but I just want a trim. There's no way I could afford anything like £70 - can anyone recommend anywhere under the £25 mark? I don't want anywhere where they try to force you to have a certain style either.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070

queen of scots

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Try Sophie Butler's if you want a trim. My trim was done by Kirsten (who also added some layers in too) and it cost me £20.

The price of your trim depends entirely on what level of stylist you use - if you want the head stylist then you have to be prepared to pay a tonne but if you're ok with the junior stylists then you'll be fine price wise.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 pm

I got a great haircut from Nicky at Sophie Butler at the end of last year, and it only cost me £18. I can't remember if they gave me a student discount though. She was heavily pregnant at the time so she might be on maternity leave right now, but it'd be worth checking out.

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 pm

i had a wask/restyle/straighten at Dynami Hair and it only cost £26 as was very impressed with the result, try there. They are all young and daring when it comes to style and colour as well!
Quoting queen of scots from 19:06, 10th Mar 2006
I'm looking for recommendations too - but I just want a trim. There's no way I could afford anything like £70 - can anyone recommend anywhere under the £25 mark? I don't want anywhere where they try to force you to have a certain style either.

[hr]

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:26 pm

Well it sounds like a complete restyle you want, if so, go to Sophie Butler and ask to be a training model, you get the cut for half price!
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby jennyo on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:23 pm

Last time I got my hair cut in St Andrews, I went to a place on Woodburn Terrace (down near East Sands) and it was ten quid including tip. I mean, I didn't have anything awfully exciting done, just got it trimmed and tidied, but it looked good and the people are nice.

Even speaking as a girl who likes her hair, I'd pay Flayre two pints and let him cut my hair before I'd spend 70 pounds on it :/

[hr]

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -Friedrich Nietzsche
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Seeing as you mentioned tips - I was wondering - is it normal practice to tip your hairdresser? I've never done it but read in some magazine that you should not only tip the person who washes your hair but also the person who styles/cuts your hair......but the thing is I thought that I was paying for that in the first place so why tip?

If anyone uses Sophie Butler's regularly they'll know it's quite expensive if you want something big done but does anyone tip their stylist their and if so, how do you decide how much? And how do you go about doing it?

You can tell that I've not been using hairdressers for long cos I really haven't a clue!!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Rosanna on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:52 pm

Quoting harmless loony from 17:31, 11th Mar 2006
Seeing as you mentioned tips - I was wondering - is it normal practice to tip your hairdresser? I've never done it but read in some magazine that you should not only tip the person who washes your hair but also the person who styles/cuts your hair......but the thing is I thought that I was paying for that in the first place so why tip?

If anyone uses Sophie Butler's regularly they'll know it's quite expensive if you want something big done but does anyone tip their stylist their and if so, how do you decide how much? And how do you go about doing it?

You can tell that I've not been using hairdressers for long cos I really haven't a clue!!

I always tip my hairdresser (unless they do a really bad job). I know some people are really against the whole tipping culture and I do find it a bit annoying when youre expected to tip in places when you're paying a lot for something anyway (im thinking of taxi's mostly) but with my hair i dont mind. I have my hair coloured and cut quite regularly and as it's quite long i can sometimes be in the hairdressers for 2-3 hours. And if you think about it, £70 is not an awful lot between two people who's services you have received (both your stylist and the junior who usually washes your hair/preps you for treatment) and who have been working on you for that long, particularly when you consider how much of that actually goes towards their wages. Its a pretty tedious job and not very well paid unless you're at a really high level, so even leaving 2 0r 3 quid is a nice recognition of someone who does it and still manages to be creative and cheerful, and makes you feel good about yourself.

As i said, i know not everyone will agree but thats just the way i like to think of it.
Rosanna

Re:

Postby Garnet on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:51 pm

I had my hair cut and styled at Sophie Butlers and it only cost £13 but that was because i was used as a training session. The qualified hairdresser did the main parts and explained to the trainees and then they had a go. It has been the best hair style i have ever had.

You can also get a trim for free i think, but that is just from the trainee hairdressers, so i guess it could be a risk.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:33 am

The £70+ figure was for a cut and colour on a friend with quite long hair (past shoulders), and from what I gather that's not an unusual amount to charge at most hairdressers (though of course it depends on stylists' skill level etc)

I always tip at Sophie's and any other hairdresser, usually about 10-15% of the total, which is usually about £4

Cedric did my hair fantastically when he was there a couple of years ago, and I'm sure I heard he might be coming back soon.

[hr]

box_of_delights

Have a free cut at Hugh Farquhar

Postby emzn on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:01 pm

I'm a bit of stingy sod and haven't payed more than a £5 for a haircut in years. I don't come out of this affair with a wonky fringe or bald patches but an admirable appreciation of the trainee hairdresser. These guys spend a year training before they're even allowed near customers and even then there's the top hairdresser watching over them.

Before Sophie Butler got all silly wanting you to pay for colouring (which I can't have because I've got sensitive skin) I got free haircuts mostly done by her.

I've now moved on to Hugh Farquhar (opp. Lloyds) who cut my hair even better, for free or a £5 (depending on how advanced the trainee is) and have far better conversation.

The only thing that can go wrong is if you don't say exactly what you want - but that happens anywhere!
emzn

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Emzn; i know what you mean about not asking for what you want; when I'm at the hairdresser they always give me a choice using words or phrases that i don't understand. I invariably end up picking the wrong one.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Wong on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:12 pm

John the Barber is decent enough, but he's not really the kind of person that you want holding sharp things near your head for any length of time.

[hr]

No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby KayBee on Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 16:08, 10th Mar 2006

Avoid Hugh F's and John Alan's. Never had a good experience there and not heard of many who have.

[hr]

I'd agree about avoiding H.Fs but I was a regular at John Alans when I was at St A's and always got fantastic cuts and hair-ups.

Having said that I graduated in 2003 so there may well be different folk there now.
KayBee

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board