Home

TheSinner.net

Pro-life/Pro-choice poll

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:16 pm

im probably the only person who doesnt know, but would someone remind what each one is. it's be so long since i heard the names, and i know i could google it but i cant be arsed.

[hr]

Advertise your business here. £4.99 a month
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting Miz Manda from 13:13, 3rd Apr 2006
Why isn't this a black and white issue?

Because of the huge amount of issues involved.

You can't just say - pro-life good, pro-choice bad.

Or abortion good, religious zealots bad.

As people have already said here, there's SO many different scenarious involved -
rape, incest, severly disabled children (don't even want to get started on this one!), financial worries, fear, lack of family support, ... many more that I can't think of right here -

To say that this is a simple black/white issue with a single right answer is just too easy.

[hr]

Time Dedicated to You.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:22 pm

Why is everyone who opposes abortion a religious zealot?
Miz Manda

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting Miz Manda from 13:22, 3rd Apr 2006

Why is everyone who opposes abortion a religious zealot?

I wasn't saying that!

I was taking 2 extremes, and saying that it's too easy to label people - I was saying that labelling these things is wrong!

[hr]

Time Dedicated to You.
Rilla

Re:

Postby M249 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Insight from 13:03, 3rd Apr 2006
Quoting richey from 12:31, 3rd Apr 2006
...however I would never ever kill my own child.

VERY emotive, and possibly brutal language - do you not think that some girls who have had abortions may read that? I really disagree with phrases like that being bandied about in pro-life/choice debates.

No, it is just stating fact. Abortion is the murder of a human being or unborn child and how can you even begin to defend that? I disagree with the term pro-choice because no one should have to choice to terminate life.
M249

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:42 pm

Quoting M249 from 13:29, 3rd Apr 2006

No, it is just stating fact. Abortion is the murder of a human being or unborn child and how can you even begin to defend that? I disagree with the term pro-choice because no one should have to choice to terminate life.

surely it can't be murder if you don't class an unborn foetus as living, or as a human being. you're getting into the whole debate of defining when it is developed enough to be classed as a person, or are you one of these people who think it's a person straight after fertilisation?

[hr]

Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Colleen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm a pro-choice Catholic, so please stop assuming this decision is to do with religion and nothing else.

People should be free to make the choice (I say people because it's both parents decision) and have the ability to do so with medical facilities to help this.

If abortion was made illegal (I'm looking at you, South Dakota), it would still happen, but it would happen illegally and under unsafe conditions. You're risking the life of the mother there and that can't be a good thing.
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby Yeats on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:56 pm

With regard to abortion after pregnancy as a result of rape or incest these make up a tiny amount of all abortions carried out in the UK.

Only 0.3% of Abortions carried out in the UK in 2000 (The last year for which I have figures) were for women who had concieved as a result of incest or rape. Although my sympathy naturally goes out to these women who are of course in an unimaginably dreadful situation I can't see how their experience justifies the 99.7% of other abortions which were carried out in the UK that year.

[hr]

Some day we shall be glad to remember such things
Yeats

Re:

Postby Sid on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm

No matter how much you pretty it up, at the end of the day it is murder. Even a merciful killing is still murder.

Quoting Rilla from 13:12, 3rd Apr 2006
As Insight said very well, this is NOT a black/white issue.
Noone ever said the decision was easy.
Noone ever said it was a nice situation.

And emotive language should be avoided (though this is generally impossible, given the emotions involved with the situation).

But please, Sid - "Blood on your hands"?

Using language like this screams of judgement on people.

And it's very, very easy to judge people from a righteous position.

Eugh, I hate these arguments.

[hr]

Time Dedicated to You.
Sid

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Rilla from 13:19, 3rd Apr 2006

As people have already said here, there's SO many different scenarious involved -
rape, incest, severly disabled children (don't even want to get started on this one!), financial worries, fear, lack of family support, ... many more that I can't think of right here -

[hr]

Time Dedicated to You.

The first three points, fair enough, they merit a stronger case for abortion. But financial worries etc. - I just can't see abortion as the solution to these as the choice of fostering/adoption remains readily available.

Though, as it's been said, this isn't a black and white issue.
Manic23

Re:

Postby Sid on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:11 pm

A pick and mix catholic.

Quoting Colleen from 13:44, 3rd Apr 2006
I'm a pro-choice Catholic, so please stop assuming this decision is to do with religion and nothing else.

People should be free to make the choice (I say people because it's both parents decision) and have the ability to do so with medical facilities to help this.

If abortion was made illegal (I'm looking at you, South Dakota), it would still happen, but it would happen illegally and under unsafe conditions. You're risking the life of the mother there and that can't be a good thing.
Sid

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:12 pm

A la carte (Catholic) is the term I prefer to use

[hr]

Time Dedicated to You.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Rufus on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:14 pm

Unpalatable as abortion may be, wouldn't you rather lessen the number of unwanted children in the world?

[hr]

Hell smells of raw potatoes.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting Colleen from 13:44, 3rd Apr 2006

surely if the person is having an abortion, they cant be called a mother.

it seems like youre saying youre Catholic, then saying things which are rejected by the Catholic church. next you'll be saying youre in support of artificial contraception[img]littleicons/yellowtounge.gif[/img]

as for the people saying abortion is murder. do you think every doctor who does an abortion should be prosecuted for murder? and all the other people involved should be prosected for assisting?

what about the "mother", would you have her prosected murder as well? surely going through having an abortion is bad enough.

edit:
Quoting Rufus from 14:14, 3rd Apr 2006
Unpalatable as abortion may be, wouldn't you rather lessen the number of unwanted children in the world?

[hr]

the easier way to lesson the number of unwated children in the world is to...no have sex!! :p
of course, you could always just use some form of contraception, thats what its made for after all.

[hr]

Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Sid on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Children grow into adults and can make a very happy lives for themselves. Because they weren't wanted at birth doesn't mean to say they should be killed off.

Quoting Rufus from 14:14, 3rd Apr 2006

[hr]

Sid

Re:

Postby Yeats on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:24 pm

A journalist once asked Mother Theresa why she was against abortion when there were so many unwanted children.

Mother Theresa replied "What unwanted children? I want them".

Essentially I think abortion is often used to make us feel better about the many problems in society (poverty, lack of family support for pregnant women, huge social problems in inner city estates, domestic abuse etc.) rather than actually attempting to work at solving these problems.

[hr]

Yeats

Re:

Postby Fionnlagh on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:34 pm

Contrary to what someone said earlier, I think abortion is one of the most black and white issues there can be.

It seems that either you believe that thing inside is a real human being with a soul, a heart, and a mind, and to end it is murder. Or you don't. You think it's a featus, with the potential to become a human being, but no more than that, and abortion in unfortunate, but ok.

Myself, I am pro-choice, and as strongly for as I think a man can be.

Having said that, I can see the arguements behind having a re-think on the 22 weeks

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37102526&l=9f7bca06b0
Fionnlagh

Re:

Postby richey on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting Insight from 13:03, 3rd Apr 2006
Quoting richey from 12:31, 3rd Apr 2006
...however I would never ever kill my own child.

VERY emotive, and possibly brutal language - do you not think that some girls who have had abortions may read that? I really disagree with phrases like that being bandied about in pro-life/choice debates.

I am sorry if I offended anyone by this comment as I didn't mean it to be so emotive. What I was trying to express is that I would never want to prevent life that I had created from occuring.

I would also like to add that my very close friend had an abortion two years ago, and she still suffers with the consequences now. It is a very difficult decision to make, although of course I couldn't personally understand it as it has never happened to me. My friend regrets it as it was a rash decision, and she only thought about what she had done afterwards. Her view is that women who want abortions should think about what they are doing first, so they don't regret what they do afterwards...she completely diagrees with the whole "lunchtime break abortion" idea.
richey

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:38 pm

How do our resident pro-lifers feel about the morning after pill?

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby motorhead on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:49 pm

Abortion is basically an alternative option for stupid people who dont have the sense to use protection and cant be bothered facing up to there responsabilities. Its messing about with nature and should not be allowed, there are plenty of couples who would love to adopt kids because they cant have any of there own. Therefor instead of killing a child, which it basically is, give them to somebody who wants it. And as for people who say its a way of cutting down the population. Scotland is fekin empty as it is. thers nowt but hill and heather ma laddy. just watch weirs way. he is quality by the way. Here is a shrubbery, ooh jock lets have a dram.
motorhead

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board