Home

TheSinner.net

Socially acceptable

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Socially acceptable

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:31 am

Why is it accepted that a woman can go out to get a man drunk in order to net him that evening.

[img]http://content.collegehumor.com/items/2006/04/collegehumor.1681346.451xAUTO.jpg[/img]

but if a man does the same thing he can be convicted of rape? :S

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:38 am

Aside from the high-quality evidence offered by collegehumour.com, when have you ever heard, or seen, a woman going out to get a man drunk to "net him"? On a side note, I know quite a few people who have had their drink spiked in st andrews, and none of them are guys.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 am

I know of many women who get guys drunk to have their way with them. You must be looking in the wrong (or perhaps right) places.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:51 am

I, too, know a guy or two who have ended up with girls because they got them obscenely drunk and/or stoned.

Edit to clarify: The girls got my buddies drunk/stoned.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Rufus on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:01 am

They must be particularly stupid members of the fairer sex.

Most absolutely blutered men are incapable of standing up, let alone getting it up.
Rufus

Re:

Postby ronald villiers on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Irish Frank from 11:38, 13th Apr 2006
Aside from the high-quality evidence offered by collegehumour.com, when have you ever heard, or seen, a woman going out to get a man drunk to "net him"? On a side note, I know quite a few people who have had their drink spiked in st andrews, and none of them are guys.

one of my academic kids tried this but she underestimated the alcohol tolerance of the guy she wanted to get off with. result was she got pissed, started being sick and he had to carry her home while still quite sober himself.

[hr]

"Swill gin? Sir, I have sipped, lapped, and taken gin intravenously but I have never swilled"
There's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear
Than to stand in a bar, of a pub with no beer
ronald villiers

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:16 am

THIS IS THE BACKLASH AGSAINST POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
Senethro

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:48 am

Just then, Senethro was offered a contract to write for The Sun.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:07 pm

Give him a job with the Daily Mail, he'd love that.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby tuck on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:40 pm

[quote]Quoting munchingfoo from 11:40, 13th Apr 2006
I know of many women who get guys drunk to have their way with them. You must be looking in the wrong (or perhaps right) places.

How can you "get" someone drunk? It is possible to say no to drinks, you know.

(unless you're getting your drink spiked etc etc)
tuck

Re:

Postby tuck on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:42 pm

How can you "get" someone drunk? It is possible to say no to drinks, you know. (unless you have your drink spiked etc etc)

[quote]Quoting munchingfoo from 11:40, 13th Apr 2006

[hr]
tuck

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Quoting Senethro from 12:16, 13th Apr 2006
THIS IS THE BACKLASH AGSAINST POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

I'm confused. Has the backlash itself gone mad, or just political correctness?

THE PEOPLE SHOULD BE TOLD!

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 pm

The backlash.

But also foo trolling.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:37 pm

Doesn't rape have one of the lowest conviction rates? I'm sure if the female was drunk at the alleged rape then it is even lower as it is one persons word against another and if the female was drunk it can be quite easy to convince the jury her word is unreliable. I have never heard of a successful prosecution in which a man was convicted of rape for getting a female drunk and sleeping with her.

What annoys me most when it comes to rape cases is when lawyers bring up what the alleged victim was wearing to prove that it wasn't rape. It's madness to say that because she was, for example, wearing a mini skirt that it defines what kind of character she is. Since when does what you wear define what kind of person you are?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569

Man makes a beast of himself to get rid of the pain of being a man
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby * on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:42 pm

i wonder how many girls get absolutely trashed, sleep with somebody, wake up the next morning and decide he's butt ugly and claim having been 'raped'..

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting * from 13:31, 13th Apr 2006
i wonder how many girls get absolutely trashed, sleep with somebody, wake up the next morning and decide he's butt ugly and claim having been 'raped'..

Probably not many. What is more worrying is not just the fact that in more and more cases brought to court, the fact that the rape victim may have been wearing a miniskirt, provocative clothing etc. is used as evidence against the rape charge. The implication is that if you wear a certain type of clothing, it is your own fault you got raped. How misogynistic.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:20 pm

Come on now. I wasn't saying that raping women was okay or even commenting about the what women wear or do. I was asking why we find it okay for women to do something to men which, if it were reversed, WOULD be considered rape. (and thats a fact, theres no refuting that. If you can prove a woman was intoxicated beyond reasonable sense and reason then that is rape) This is about men not women.

STOP BEING SO FUCKING SELFISH AND THINKING EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU (joke)

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby ParisInTheAutumn on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Maybe it's not that society doesn't care about men as much as women but that men are viewed as stronger and more responsible than females, so they are treated differently for that reason?
ParisInTheAutumn

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:54 pm

Is it not accepted by the courts that women can't rape men? I think because in order to have intercourse the man has to have an erection. I am not saying I agree with this thinking but perhaps that attitude in society is the reason why it would be seen as rape if a woman did it to a man and not rape the opposite way around.

I'm not sure it's a fact that if you can prove that a woman was intoxicated beyond reasonable sense and reason that it is rape. It's a near impossible thing to prove unless there were witnesses. She could have agreed to sex and forgotten about it - I'm sure that's what the lawyer would argue and probably win with and if she willingly took drinks off someone then many people would see it as her fault.
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:10 pm

It certainly used to - and could still - be the case that having sex with a woman who is incapable - through drink or drugs or both - of giving consent was not necessarily rape. It would only be rape if the woman had earlier (before becoming insensible) expressed unwillingness to sleep with the man. Even then it would have to be proved that the male had deliberately rendered the woman insensible in order to have sex with her. The most disturbing thing is that if a man happened across a woman in a state of insensibility by chance and had sex with her he would not be committing rape.
Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board