Home

TheSinner.net

The strike at an end?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu May 04, 2006 12:51 pm

Oh sweet....... :s

Is it due to national AUT interference? If results dont go our way I've got some ideas - I'll get in contact with you if it comes to the worst!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu May 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting harmless loony from 13:51, 4th May 2006
Is it due to national AUT interference?

I think it's more that a lot of the local AUT aren't happy with the negotiated deal (they seem to want more, and sooner).

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Thu May 04, 2006 12:55 pm

like theres a shock - of course they want more - who doesnt want more money

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu May 04, 2006 12:56 pm

But didn't the uni agree to match any higher deal negotiated by the National AUT?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Thu May 04, 2006 12:59 pm

Give me a call/ email.

2700 or dorep@
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Thu May 04, 2006 1:00 pm

The problem is not about the level of the offer, but rather about process and procedure.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby maz on Thu May 04, 2006 1:05 pm

any news?

[hr]

Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
maz

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu May 04, 2006 1:14 pm

The only news I have after discussion with Ben is that the protest is on tomorrow.

1pm
St Mary's Quad
Wear Your Gowns!!
harmless loony

AUT strike back on

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu May 04, 2006 2:17 pm

Yup - they didn't even bother having a ballot.

Get yourselves to St Mary's quad at 1pm tomorrow to protest and be on TV.

Wear gowns.

That is all.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu May 04, 2006 2:20 pm

If a student has a class at 1PM, and they miss it to attend the protest, they could be in line for disciplinary measures.

If the staff have work to mark and they don't do it, where's the discipline for them?

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby amore vincit omnia on Thu May 04, 2006 2:25 pm

I have a tutorial at 1pm tomorrow, and have been told that under no circumstances (except severe illness, etc) am I allowed to miss it. I don't think that's unreasonable or hypocritical, given that my tutor for that subject is a non-striking postgrad, but I would still really like to be able to attend the protest :(

[hr]

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
amore vincit omnia

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Thu May 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:17, 4th May 2006
Yup - they didn't even bother having a ballot.

The problem is that having a ballot takes two weeks if you follow the local rulebook.

What was a ballot became an indication of opinion and there is a full extraordinary general meeting (which is competent to make the decisions) as soon as one can be held - which is next Friday.

The results of the "expression of opinion":
Total votes cast and not withdrawn: 181
Total Votes in favour of local deal: 170
Total Votes against local deal: 11

In total, 43% of the local members indicated that they support the local deal.

The protest tomorrow will be focused around calling for exam papers to be set.

I am sorry that this has happened. Everybody, from here at the Students' Association, to the local AUT executive committee and the Principal's Office thought that this was sorted.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 15:20, 4th May 2006
If a student has a class at 1PM, and they miss it to attend the protest, they could be in line for disciplinary measures.

If the staff have work to mark and they don't do it, where's the discipline for them?

Interesting question I think. I assumed that it was illegal to discipline someone for taking part in an action short of a strike (or strike as the case may be).

But this website sort of says otherwise:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1073792735

The situation is more complex where employees take action short of an all-out strike, eg refusing to carry out particular duties. You may refuse to accept this conduct as satisfactory. If you accept partial performance of duties, you cannot refuse to pay the employee for the part of the job that they have carried out.

[hr]

Time Dedicated to You.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu May 04, 2006 3:25 pm

It was just indicated to me by a member of staff who is an AUT member that members are communicating informally and the general position being taken is that they will not be accepting the offer at the EGM. It is probable that they will pass a motion in favour of setting exam papers but not marking them, and letting the national battle run its course.
It seems the members are in favour of setting the exams, and it is probable that this will happen regardless of the protest.

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 04, 2006 7:39 pm

Somone said there were reporters in St. Sal's Quad interviewing lectures, etc. on the matter this morning before the vote closed. Anybody know what newspapers?

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Thu May 04, 2006 7:44 pm

It was BBC Scotland. It was shown on Reporting Scotland earlier tonight.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby bernard, el viejo sapo on Thu May 04, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Ben Reilly from 20:44, 4th May 2006
It was BBC Scotland. It was shown on Reporting Scotland earlier tonight.

I saw it, but thanks Ben for keeping all of us posted. Locally we have been made a great offer, but it is not what suits us as individuals but the bigger picture... and of course caring about our students as well.
I want to thank Sarah West as well for giving me this link. bb/37.
bernard, el viejo sapo

Re:

Postby Jamie potton on Thu May 04, 2006 11:59 pm

This is really no time for faffery: why have there been so few calls for the University to hire non-unionised labour? I know the VP gave a non-response to this suggestion, but I think it ought to be looked at.
Jamie potton

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri May 05, 2006 9:03 am

Quoting Jamie Potton from 00:59, 5th May 2006
This is really no time for faffery: why have there been so few calls for the University to hire non-unionised labour? I know the VP gave a non-response to this suggestion, but I think it ought to be looked at.

One major problem with that is lack of non-union labour, as very few people are qualified to set and mark examinations at this level. It isn't like schools, where supply teachers are available, or where they can hire students on summer jobs to mark exams.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Worst of all worlds

Postby Guest on Fri May 05, 2006 12:24 pm

So to conclude, the staff are on strike, but the university are still increasing their pay....

Can someone please explain why in the world st andrews negotiates pay nationally, such methods are a 70's relic and only mainly only survive in the public sector. It has no place in a modern university.

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board