Home

TheSinner.net

LOST 2x21 (spoilers)

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

LOST 2x21 (spoilers)

Postby Aureliano on Fri May 12, 2006 1:42 pm

There hasn't been a LOST thread around recently... sooo ...

Any thoughts on the past few episodes?

Personally apart from the final few minutes of tension, I thought 'Two for the Road' was a bit naff. Linking AnaL and Jack's dad together was interesting enough, but the characterisation on the island itself was really drab. Even without spoilers you could see where it was going (giving offed characters one last moment of happiness/lust just as they did with Shannon).

There hasn't been enough of Sayid (his Iraq episode was so solid!), and i've lost interest in a number of other leads. The Ayer's Rock psychic aside, Bernard and Rose's episode was dull - i just don't care about their characters.

Now onto the good. Despite Hurley's usual comedic role in the group, 'Dave' was a surprisingly solid, well-written and tense episode. The Henry Gale story has been wonderful throughout, especially in those last few seconds of 'Lockdown'.
And finally Michael's recent twist (from early season 2's 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalt!'), and the Locke / Eko / dream action in this week's episode has one again somewhat redeemed the naff bits in between.

Bring on the final two episodes!
Aureliano

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri May 12, 2006 1:44 pm

This thread has become the property of the Hanso Foundation.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby pea on Fri May 12, 2006 1:56 pm

I think people are being too harsh on this series. Yes, there have been some episodes which were a bit.. dry shall we say, but theres been important bits in all of them. For example in Rose's episode we find out that Rose and Locke know that the island has "healed" both of them, and from the way the Ayers Rock man was talking, they've pretty much confirmed that the island has some kind of energy. That's something at least!

I think you just have to stop expecting so much from episodes. But they next few episodes are going to be killer. I particularly liked this weeks, what with the new hatch, the cameras in the Swan hatch, finding it WAS all an experiment. It finally feels we have some answers. And the psychic whos daughter "drowned" was the man Claire went to see, was he not? Yet more links between characters, that's actually the first link between people both Claire and Mr Eko have had.
Also, Libby dying made me shed a tear, poor Hurley! I was discussing it with my friend and was saying that now we'll never know why she was in the hospital with Hurley, but he said that we could still find out. I thought maybe next week would be a funeral episode and it would be a joint Libby/Hurley episode and they would fit it in there.

Oh I seem to have rambled quite a bit!

[hr]

I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Fri May 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Episode 21 finally suggested some structure to future episodes and series...

I mean we now have proof that Locke's chamber map is exactly that. They have discovered 4 of the 6 chambers, they have seen 2 of the 6 part video induction package, and there's the mysterious BIG ? in the centre yet to discover.

Its never going to happen, but if Locke were to start talking to people I think they would start hunting down these chambers and tick them off the list.

The map itself, however, could be a warning in disguise. Someone obviously cottoned on to what was going on and started documenting it when locked in the Swan. Where is he? And why has his replacements not noticed this map? Why did he write it in UV? Did he know he (or she) was being watched, and needed to hide it?

My favourite storyline was Libby and Hurley by far. To suggest that it could be all a hallucination (and make it a credible 'its all a dream') really cranked things up. Maybe its just me and my fascination with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" but that was a brilliant storyline...but why did they take the easy way out and kill off Libby?!?

Not sure how they're going to leave this series on a cliffhanger, I just hope its not contrived, the hatch was a big thing at the end of series 1 when we realised there may be someone else on the island, but what can be more out of the blue than that now?

Episode 21 was a bit dull though...

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby pea on Fri May 12, 2006 2:19 pm

Quoting Paranoid from 15:16, 12th May 2006
...and there's the mysterious BIG ? in the centre yet to discover....

I think that could be the "source of energy" that the island has, that all the hatches are linked to and get their energy from.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby maz on Fri May 12, 2006 2:19 pm

The computer print out from the pearl could provide some answers too - did henry gale really press the button or not, what did walt/michael talk about back in the beginning.
I'm kind of annoyed Libby died without us finding out why she was in the psycho unit. I think the last few episodes, since Lockdown were amazing. Can't wait for the last few now. But I'm going to be upset if they don't resolve a few of the mysteries by the end of the series. I'll be annoyed if it drags on for loads of series like the xfiles did. grr

[hr]

Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
maz

Re:

Postby beanie_anne on Fri May 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 14:44, 12th May 2006

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!

The music just won't stop!!!
I opened a window for the Hanso Foundation and its creepy, meditative music won't stop playing - depsite the fact I've closed the window! Arrrgggh

[hr]

"Enough is Enough...I've had it with these snakes"
"Enough is Enough...I've had it with these snakes"
beanie_anne

Re:

Postby pea on Fri May 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting beanie_anne from 15:23, 12th May 2006
Quoting munchingfoo from 14:44, 12th May 2006

[hr]

The music just won't stop!!!
I opened a window for the Hanso Foundation and its creepy, meditative music won't stop playing - depsite the fact I've closed the window! Arrrgggh

Oh I looked at that the other day but it didn't work with my version of flash, so I got bored. Is it worth a look?

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby Duffman on Fri May 12, 2006 3:12 pm

I can't believe Libby died. I expect to see some blood for this, if eko plants his axe in Michaels head I will be satisfied, I just despise Michael and that little brat Walt! Grrrrr.

Oh and the surveillance station was the ?, not one of the hatches. Bring on the last 3hours!

[hr]

I would have stayed up with you all night,
if I had known how to save a life.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri May 12, 2006 3:22 pm

I've rather enjoyed the past few episodes. There have indeed been some dry bits in the middle of the season, but recently it's picked up and the plot has advanced well, especially since "Lockdown", and the ending of "Two For The Road" had me stunned at the time. Looking forward to the last few episodes indeed. :)

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby pea on Fri May 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Quoting Duffman from 16:12, 12th May 2006
I can't believe Libby died. I expect to see some blood for this, if eko plants his axe in Michaels head I will be satisfied, I just despise Michael and that little brat Walt! Grrrrr.

Oh and the surveillance station was the ?, not one of the hatches. Bring on the last 3hours!

Ahhhh see I thought it was thought but then I didn't know if it counted as one of the hatches or not.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri May 12, 2006 3:35 pm

Yes, the BIG ? was The Pearl.
But don't write it off as a simple observation station just yet.
Cube Zero anyone? (POSSIBLE SPOILER)
[s]Where the supposed observers were actually the observed.[/s]

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri May 12, 2006 3:38 pm

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby floatingonmycloud on Fri May 12, 2006 3:42 pm

I have to say series 2 is much better than the first. The last few eps have been awesome! Especially the one with Hurley and his wee friend. I'm disappointed than he won't get to know how he knew Libby though and I wanted to find out why Libby was in the hospital too.

Ep 21 had me in tears, so sad :( Evil Michael. Do you think he tagetted Libby and AnaL for a reason?

Henry Gale freaks me out, I'm glad he's away for a bit!
floatingonmycloud

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri May 12, 2006 4:31 pm

I don't think he targetted libby at all - she just happened to be there to get blankets and got in the way.

My theory is that he is now working for the others to get his son back and shot Ana in order to get Henry out without anyone being suspicious. His story about scouting out their camp was rather unlikely - they seem to be excellent trackers and Michael isn't so they'd have found him fairly quickly, i'd say.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Fri May 12, 2006 4:44 pm

My theory is that Michael has been 'converted' by the others. He mentions wanting to mount some kind of offensive against The Others in order to retrieve his son - this can only be some form of trap.

Henry (whose escape is obviously Michael's doing) can now tell The Others about Michael's progress. Michael, in turn, can lead the survivors to some kind of ambush set up by The Others. In fact, I'd wager that the end of this season will be a cliffhanger where the survivors have been captured by The Others, with their future looking bleak...
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Aureliano on Fri May 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 17:44, 12th May 2006
My theory is that Michael has been 'converted'.

Not really converted at all.
He's just following the same 'distressed parent' profile he's had since the very beginning of the show. He would let the Losties mount a strike force or even an army to get his boy back, no matter how many casualties they suffer, if that seemed credible. But as they are now as disbanded and without moral leadership as they've ever been, this course of action is the most rational option. He was without doubt captured and told to free Henry with the 'promise' of a trade. The solution presenting itself, by shooting AnaL with the gun (remember it being Sawyer's), just happened by fate.
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Fri May 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Hmm; hadn't thought about it thay way. It makes sense, I suppose. They do a good job of making him look malicious in the end of the episode, though.
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Fri May 12, 2006 5:44 pm

What is LOST like? Have not really watched it, although I do have the entire first series filling up 26 Gb of my harddisk space!!
thebrookster

Return to The Sinner's Main Board