Home

TheSinner.net

Todays results.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

world cup hatred

Postby duckgirl on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:53 pm

The end of the match today saw riot police having to clear out large sections of liverpool city centre and shops closing because of all the trouble in town.
And before and during the match there were massive groups of lads with no shirts on running about everywhere spilling beer on people and knocking everyone over. AARRRGGHH!!!
Why can't people just stay in their houses?!?!? Or better still - should cancel the world cup and direct all the wasted money towards something worthwhile.
duckgirl

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:37 pm

I don't know you, but I'm willing to wager you aren't fun.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm fun, but I'd sooner see the billion quid wasted on retail over the world cup given in charity to our universities.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:51 pm

I must admit that London was remarkably quiet after the game...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby igorlex on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:19 pm

I agree with the most fun duckgirl as well as gealle - the world cup doesnt serve much purpose, really, as that money would eb far far better spent elsewhere - even if only to inspire us to a greater level of humanity.

People will complain about hte billions put into iraq, but not into this shameless, corporate natiopnalist crusade under the guise of sport?
igorlex

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:18 pm

Only a non-football fan would say that. I love the World Cup, argentina look pretty tasty don't they?

[hr]

There's gotta be some way out of here, the joker said to the thief
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby Icarus on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting Washingtonirving from 22:18, 10th Jun 2006
Only a non-football fan would say that. I love the World Cup, argentina look pretty tasty don't they?

[hr]

And only a cannibal would say that.
Icarus

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Lets just hope their plane crashes in the andes eh?

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting Igorlex from 21:19, 10th Jun 2006
I agree with the most fun duckgirl as well as gealle - the world cup doesnt serve much purpose, really, as that money would eb far far better spent elsewhere - even if only to inspire us to a greater level of humanity.

People will complain about hte billions put into iraq, but not into this shameless, corporate natiopnalist crusade under the guise of sport?

But the UK isn't pumping billions into the World Cup, the only country putting a major amount of money into the tournament is the Germans, and in most instances the World Cup is a profitable event for the host nation
The Famous Philosopher

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:58 pm

But the UK isn't pumping billions into the World Cup, the only country putting a major amount of money into the tournament is the Germans, and in most instances the World Cup is a profitable event for the host nation

Actually, there is an estimated £1.3billion being spent on entertainment product within the UK itself (not to mention extra pennies in the pubs), surplus to expectations for the quarter.

Diageo, Samsung, et al. aren't going to donate the profits they make from this unusual expenditure on charity or worthy causes.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:23 am

And how can that be compared to the goverment wasting billions in Iraq?

If people want to buy widescreen TVs and whatever else what business is it of ours? If they want to spend money to enhance there experience of the greatest sporting event in the world( in my opinion) let them do so, its there money there wasting, not anyone elses.
The Famous Philosopher

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting The Famous Philosopher from 01:23, 11th Jun 2006
And how can that be compared to the goverment wasting billions in Iraq?

If people want to buy widescreen TVs and whatever else what business is it of ours? If they want to spend money to enhance there experience of the greatest sporting event in the world( in my opinion) let them do so, its there money there wasting, not anyone elses.

All due respect mate, I didn't say it was comparable to the wasted money spent on Iraq.

If you want to retort, find something you can actually retort at me with...

Gealle

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Aye, I just realised it wasn't you that compared it to Iraq. Point still stands for whoever compared the two...
The Famous Philosopher

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:03 pm

Football?

Better call the
.............. _@@@__
......_____//____?__\________
- ---o--------CARE-POLICE----@)
-----` --(@)======+====(@)--

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Oh my God, people don't share my principles. They must be wrong!

The anti-world cup brigade here seem to have assumed that people should hold their opinions, ie, not care about football, and instead spend money on worthy causes.

How the fuck do you know what they otherwise spend their money on? Is it your business? Are you just grandstanding on one issue, in this case sport, to further your own views?

Fuck me, it seems you are. People can do as they want. You seriously think you'll get particulary far by attacking them for something they enjoy? 'Gee, you're right, I should feel guilty for going crazy over the world cup.'

If it all upsets you so much, go and do missionary work. I'll admit there are elements of society who seem to hold the World Cup to be more important than many other things, but that's just an impression I get from the media. I wonder what they'd make of you, or is their opinion invalid?

People who spill beer on people and knock people over in the streets are clearly morons. What do you care what they do? Surely you must be so satisfied in your own self to not worry about having to cast stones, seeing as you're so very quick to judge.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:08 pm

I'm quite enjoying the World Cup, mainly because when the matches are on no one seems to be out and about, it makes doing errands in town so much easier.

[hr]

veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:14 pm

No worries, Philosopher; honest mistake.

I'm enjoying the world cup myself; I still think all the cash could be better spent though.

Peace go with you

Gealle

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:16 pm

P.S. Fuck off wine boy, you really think I give a shit what the media say? I might be a banker, but I still have my moral values.

Gealle

Re:

Postby duckgirl on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:33 pm

When the matches are on here there are drunken idiots with dogs everywhere - literally can't go out, especailly into town, when there's an england match on.
That's why people hate football and the world cup!

Quoting grousefanatic from 17:08, 11th Jun 2006
I'm quite enjoying the World Cup, mainly because when the matches are on no one seems to be out and about, it makes doing errands in town so much easier.

[hr]

duckgirl

Re:

Postby duckgirl on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:38 pm

It's kind of a stupid thing to say that people can do what they like; we rely on other people for practically everything we do - everytime you eat something you are relying on the person who grew it and sold it to you, everytime you go out in the street you are relying on the people who laid the pavements and clean the streets. You can't live in isolation.

And I do care what the 'morons' do in the street, because they spill beer on me and cause the riot police to come out, and you get trapped in town cos the buses stop running.
Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 15:31, 11th Jun 2006
Oh my God, people don't share my principles. They must be wrong!

The anti-world cup brigade here seem to have assumed that people should hold their opinions, ie, not care about football, and instead spend money on worthy causes.

How the fuck do you know what they otherwise spend their money on? Is it your business? Are you just grandstanding on one issue, in this case sport, to further your own views?

Fuck me, it seems you are. People can do as they want. You seriously think you'll get particulary far by attacking them for something they enjoy? 'Gee, you're right, I should feel guilty for going crazy over the world cup.'

If it all upsets you so much, go and do missionary work. I'll admit there are elements of society who seem to hold the World Cup to be more important than many other things, but that's just an impression I get from the media. I wonder what they'd make of you, or is their opinion invalid?

People who spill beer on people and knock people over in the streets are clearly morons. What do you care what they do? Surely you must be so satisfied in your own self to not worry about having to cast stones, seeing as you're so very quick to judge.
duckgirl

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board