Home

TheSinner.net

Worst Movies Ever

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Worst Movies Ever

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:19 pm

This might already be a thread, but I can't be bothered to look for it.

For me, it's definitely Magnolia. Yeah, I realize it has a massive following, but for me, it will always be the never-ending movie that lacks a plot.
Ragamuffin_artist

Re:

Postby felix on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:34 pm

One that instantly comes to mind for me would have to be 'The Shining'.
In comparison to the book, which i read before watching the film and enjoyed it very much, the film is just awful. It was such a disappointment. I do realise that film adaptations of books are often slightly disappointing in comparison, and often have to miss out parts in order to fit it all in, but this one is just ridiculous. If I hadn't read the book first I would've had no idea what was going on. It is not accurate to the book at all. Im not going to go into detail, but to sum up, I think this is a terrible, terrible film.

[hr]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission
felix

Re:

Postby copter_uk on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:46 pm

I recently watched 'Dreamcatcher'. I expected it to be quite good considering it had Morgan Freeman and Damian Lewis in it and was adapted from a Stephen King book. It was TERRIBLE!!! It looked promising in the first maybe 10 minutes but when downhill quickly. The only reason l didn't turn off was my belief that at some point it had to get better.. it didn't happen. I cringed through most of it.
copter_uk

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:54 pm

"Body of Evidence" was fairly bad. But the worst film I've seen relatively recently was "Killing Me Softly" with Joseph Fiennes and Heather Graham. Crikey, it stank.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Satine on Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:32 pm

Intolerable Cruelty. I had heard such good things about it and was bitterly disappointed. The best part of the film was the trailer for Return of the King that they showed before it!
Satine

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:04 pm

Reservoir Dogs.

Yeah, I said it. Tarantino's worst moment.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:14 pm

Quoting ragamuffin_artist from 15:19, 27th Aug 2006
This might already be a thread, but I can't be bothered to look for it.

For me, it's definitely Magnolia. Yeah, I realize it has a massive following, but for me, it will always be the never-ending movie that lacks a plot.

Magnlia has to be one of the best movies ever made. It took me two viewings to realise this.
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 17:04, 27th Aug 2006
Reservoir Dogs.

[hr]

Kill Bill 1 and 2 and Jackie Brown are all worse than Dogs.

As for the worst film ever, its a toss up between Demolition University, In Dreams or Cube Zero.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:49 pm

the two worst movies i have ever seen- movies so bad that they didn't even have the redeeming feature of being so bad that they create a sort of horrified fascination- were the third matrix movie and the whole ten yards. Both are sequels.

These are movies that were so very boring that even though I paid only a dollar to see them and was doing something else while watching them (playing a game on the computer, etc), I felt so angry that the movie studios had stolen two hours of my life with that crap. I felt they should have paid me for watching it.

Oh, and these were both movies that I knew hadn't got the best reviews. So before watching the matrix movie, I read the most brutal, worse reviews on Rottentomatoes, figuring that if I lowered my expectations enough, it wouldn't annoy me, because I wouldn't be hoping for something great. Didn't work. if anything, I thought the reviewers had been too kind.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Little Miss Giggles on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:16 pm

For me, it has to be 'Elizabethtown'. I spent the whole film wondering what the point of it was, and the storyline, only to discover as the credits rolled, that there was no point and no storyline. Truly awful.
Little Miss Giggles

Re:

Postby Altheia on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Nothing will ever beat "Freddy Got Fingered" for sheer badness. A friend of mine wanted to see it for her birthday (she's no longer my friend, incidentally) and dragged a bunch of us along to see it. I spent the entire movie wishing I had a grapefruit spoon with which to dig my eyes out so I wouldn't have to watch it. Damn you, Tom Green.

[hr]

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain
Altheia

Re:

Postby Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Thunderbirds the Movie. It was so painful I couldn't even watch it all. Way to butcher a fantastic TV show ...

[hr]

The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane ... but everyone else does.
Last edited by Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen the Phantom Hobbit of

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:57 pm

The Pierce Brosnan version of The Thomas Crown Affair. Seriously, that's the only time in my life I've ever contemplated changing TV channel during a film.

Crap acting, terrible script, dreadfully predictable and lame clichés, predictable plot (you never ever had to seriously think about what happened next - they might as well subtitle it saying "And now Thomas Crown will jump out of the window and not get caught!" and it wouldn't have changed how obvious it was), formulaic (arrogant Brosnan playing an arrogant character who gets away with everything, as always), and just plain dull.

Just goes to show, if you throw money at a film, and go to all sorts of exotic locations, it doesn't always work.

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Frank on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:00 pm

Catwoman

I was actually angry after seeing it. Angry with the world for letting it exist.

It was horrible. Absolutely dire. I can't even describe why it was bad.

Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Atangaladhion on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:03 pm

HULK

The slowness and bad effects caused pain throughout my body.

And The Avengers remake.

[hr]

Lars Olsen is not the second coming of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was the first coming of Lars Olsen.
Lars Olsen is not the second coming of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was the first coming of Lars Olsen.
Atangaladhion

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:32 pm

Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer.

[hr]

[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby Otis redding on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Quoting Duggeh from 18:01, 27th Aug 2006
Quoting Mehmsy from 17:04, 27th Aug 2006
Reservoir Dogs.

[hr]

Kill Bill 1 and 2 and Jackie Brown are all worse than Dogs.

As for the worst film ever, its a toss up between Demolition University, In Dreams or Cube Zero.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies

Have to agree with you tarantino is in fact overrated, kill bill 1 and two were basically brainless revenge films with predictability seeping from its celuloid pores, as for res dogss, that too is overrated, however jackie Brown is just fantastic from the soundtrack to the story , true romance and natural born killers too are fantastic and off course Pulp Fiction which is his best, although he co wrote with Roger Avery but Tarantino stole the spotlight
"I am so bored with THE U.S.A." Strummer
Otis redding

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:59 pm

Toss up between Dune and Shallow Hal.
Rufus

Re:

Postby Kelly on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:18 pm

I'd have to say it's a toss up between Young Warlocks, which seemed to be an excuse for the director to film barechested teenage boys, and Shrunken Heads - I was expecting it to be bad but seriously...
Kelly

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:28 pm

most films these days are terrible. Anything involving Steve Martin turns my stomach- he is just NOT FUNNY.

[hr]

MA (Hons) English, St Andrews, 2005
MSt (in progress), Medieval English, Oxford, 2006
DPhil, funding secured + place offered, Medieval Scottish and English literature, Oxford, 2009
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board