Home

TheSinner.net

P Diddy as James Bond?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

P Diddy as James Bond?

Postby Haunted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:07 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6114362.stm

That is world I do not wish to know

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 pm

Nah R Kelly for the win.

"AND AH PULL OUT MAH GUN!!"
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:52 am

Bond is an drug-dependant misogynist with a bad taste in cars and non-violent solutions. The job should fit like a well tailored suit.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby The Dude on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 am

Pierce Brosnin once said that he would like Colin Salmon to replace him and I would tend to agree.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0758760/
The Dude

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:45 pm

Flip the coin over. Could you imagine a white guy playing the lead in Shaft or Ali?

Besides, Colin has been featured not so insignificantly in the last three bonds and so it would be awkward to pull him off as a new character.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Haunted

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:37 pm

I think Bond's most important aspect is his British accent and dashing appearance --- it hasn't mattered what hair color or nationality Bond actors are. If they can find a black actor to fit the bill, why not?
To me, it's not the skin type, but the attitude that counts.

Hey, why not a British Asian actor? (Although it would have to be a few years before it's believable that an Asian would be that high up in MI-6, considering that ministry admits on its own website that it doesn't come close to having a reasonable number of minority agents.)
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:48 pm

Actors are there to portray characters. The character is a caucasian British male.

If skin type doesnt matter then perhaps neither does gender or age. Perhaps one of the Olsen twins, providing they have the have the correct 'attitude', could play the part?

This is not racial predjudice. As I said before if you think about the flipside you'll see just how silly it is.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Haunted

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 am

I'll grant you shaft, but a white ali would have been a bit silly...

Before people start screaming about 'political correctness gone mad' I think its worth noting that the only person saying this is P Diddy himself. I'm pretty sure he's also aiming to be the president of the US, though I suppose [controversy] a black president isn't very likely [controversy/]

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby The Dude on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Washingtonirving from 00:57, 5th Nov 2006
I'll grant you shaft, but a white ali would have been a bit silly...

Before people start screaming about 'political correctness gone mad' I think its worth noting that the only person saying this is P Diddy himself. I'm pretty sure he's also aiming to be the president of the US, though I suppose [controversy] a black president isn't very likely [controversy/]

[hr]

Barack Obama... or am I the only one thinking of him.
The Dude

Re:

Postby nuga on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:12 pm

Maybe you should leave the world then. Has we integrate to be a rich multi-cultural and multi ethnic society in Britain, I wonder how you can argue so pointlessly about having a black man play the fictional role of Bond. There are thousands of black solidiers and MI-6,7,8 & 9 agents out there making Britain safe for you, with real lives and family. I hope to see a World with a James Bond that can play the role well whether he's black or white, an acceptance and full integration will be complete then. Please Ali is a true story not fictional. For Shaft, I see no reason why a white male can not play shaft, it would be splendid.

[hr]

nuga
I have nothing to prove, I don't argue.
nuga

Re:

Postby househunter on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:19 pm

What do MI 7, 8 and 9 do?
househunter

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:03 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 01:52, 4th Nov 2006
Bond is an drug-dependant misogynist with a bad taste in cars and non-violent solutions.
[hr]

He's also a cunning linguist...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting nuga from 17:12, 8th Nov 2006
There are thousands of black solidiers and MI-6,7,8 & 9 agents out there making Britain safe for you, with real lives and family. I hope to see a World with a James Bond that can play the role well whether he's black or white, an acceptance and full integration will be complete then.

The fact is that James Bond is not "an agent". He is James Bond - a fictional character created by Ian Flemming based on Second World War spies, who existed before the "fully integrated" culture we see today. In his vision, James Bond is a white, male, chauvanistic womaniser with a penchant for killing people. While there are plenty black and Asian men or indeed women who could play the role of a similar MI6/7/8/9 agent, it would not be James Bond. You can no more change the race of James Bond as you can Elizabeth Bennett.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Monster Sink on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 pm

Maybe you should leave the world then. Has we integrate to be a rich multi-cultural and multi ethnic society in Britain, I wonder how you can argue so pointlessly about having a black man play the fictional role of Bond. There are thousands of black solidiers and MI-6,7,8 & 9 agents out there making Britain safe for you, with real lives and family. I hope to see a World with a James Bond that can play the role well whether he's black or white, an acceptance and full integration will be complete then. Please Ali is a true story not fictional. For Shaft, I see no reason why a white male can not play shaft, it would be splendid.

Yes, he's a fictional character, but as such he has been defined as a white British male.

Snow White isn't a big fat black lesbian.
Lara Croft isn't flat chested.
James Bond's boss, M, isn't a woman.

Oh, hang on...
Monster Sink

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:11 pm

I wonder how you can argue so pointlessly

[hr]

nuga

You just engaged in that self-same 'argument' there, chuck.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby nuga on Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:53 pm

I retract my statement in this being a pointless argurment, maybe we all can learn something from this.

St.Andrews students move on with the times and stop been stuck in this "White World". As the world evolves, societies do too. Societies in Africa realized that their culture changed for ever during AND after a forced colonization. If the society of today is leaning towards multi-culturalism lets support it and uproot the bad elements making Asians and Africans look bad.

Gubbins must be having a mickey speaking about a "fully integrated" culture in today's Britain. If it were fully integrated, this debate would not see the light of day.

Being black and adopted by white parents, I was raised with the belief of equality and judgements were not made by the colour of skin. Obviously not, if we can not agree on a black James Bond, who am I to say I would like to be the Prime Minister of GB some day. Sad St.Andrews, just sad.

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 20:11, 8th Nov 2006
I wonder how you can argue so pointlessly

[hr]

nuga

You just engaged in that self-same 'argument' there, chuck.

[hr]

I say, old chap
nuga

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:04 pm

The point being made is not that black people are inferior but that Ian Fleming - when he wrote the books - made James Bond white and male. Therefore the character cannot be appropriately played by anyone other than a white male actor. How you can draw from that anything approaching a statement people are seeking to deny you equal rights is beyond my comprehension.
Al

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Quoting nuga from 14:53, 11th Nov 2006
Being black and adopted by white parents, I was raised with the belief of equality and judgements were not made by the colour of skin. Obviously not, if we can not agree on a black James Bond, who am I to say I would like to be the Prime Minister of GB some day. Sad St.Andrews, just sad.

I say, old chap

I'm not quite following you. There is a world of difference between the perfectly feasible idea of a black prime minister, and the utterly ridiculous idea of a black James Bond.

I would be just as miffed at a midget with a ginger afro playing James Bond, as I would be at a black actor taking on the role.

It has nothing to do with prejudice and judgement, but everything to do with common sense.

Would a white actor have played Malcolm X as well as Denzel Washington?

Would Paul Bettany make a good Martin Luther King?
Rufus

Re:

Postby jequirity on Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:27 pm

Reading nuga's last post I feel i'm living in a world where its wrong and disgusting to be a white male in my twenties.

It feels that if you are a white man then you are either: a Racist, a Paedophile, Corrupt, Imperialistic, a Warmonger, Sexist, Prejudice, a Wife Beater, not fit to father children, a Scapegoat.

It is impossible for white men to understand the complexities of a multicultural world as well.
They are the cause of all evil, everyone else is faultless.

Is it just me that feels that there is just a little shred of truth in my deliberately over the top thread?

[hr]

LEEERRRROYYYY!!!!

Andrew W K Day 9th of May
jequirity

Re:

Postby nuga on Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:10 pm

Because Ian Fleming wrote the books many years ago does not mean we should be stuck with that time. The gadgets, women and weapons change in relation to time, so why can't the colour of James Bond change with the times? Is that so difficult to imagine?

Did you say the "therefore the character cannot be appropriately played by anyone other than a white male" what a very naive thing to say.

I never claimed you or anyone else denied any minority person equal rigths. My point is everyone that shares and enjoys ownership of this grand British culture, should have the same standing or leverage in todays modern Britain. I would want to believe I am as British as the average Briton. At the same time partake in any opportunity that is available for the British man. Including being James Bond.

Don't misinterprete and misquote me, think......

why should something so theatretical be so impossible? I do not buy that Ian Flemming excuse. Its too weak and does not hold good standing.

Quoting Al from 17:04, 11th Nov 2006
The point being made is not that black people are inferior but that Ian Fleming - when he wrote the books - made James Bond white and male. Therefore the character cannot be appropriately played by anyone other than a white male actor. How you can draw from that anything approaching a statement people are seeking to deny you equal rights is beyond my comprehension.

[hr]

sultan_duk@hotmail.com
nuga

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board