Home

TheSinner.net

What is the country coming to?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What is the country coming to?

Postby flarewearer on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:26 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

It would seem that having one's illegal drugs withheld when one is serving time at Her Majesty's pleasure for one's crimes against society is a breach of one's human rights. Pardon me for being right wing on this, but it seems like the country is not so much as coming, but going. To some canines.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby McK on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Just because of this one instance - which the Daily Mail, The Sun et al will no doubt use to launch a scathing attack on the courts - we should not use human rights law as a scapegoat for 'the state of our country'. By signing up to the European Convention fifty-odd years ago and through the introduction of the Human Rights Act the UK has seen countless benefits.
McK

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:45 pm

It's ridiculous, really. What do you think said prisoners are going to spend their money on, eh?

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 pm

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. How is this ridiculous?

When people are addicted to heroin, their dependency for the substance becomes something entirely physical--and when they go cold turkey, they actually suffer pain and other horrible things.

I say that denying them access to heroin - when they are addicted to it - is to cause them sustained pain over a period of time. How is this different from torture?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:18 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 17:02, 13th Nov 2006
when they go cold turkey, they actually suffer pain and other horrible things.

Very kharma-like don't you think?

I say that denying them access to heroin - when they are addicted to it - is to cause them sustained pain over a period of time. How is this different from torture?

Because it's self inflicted.

Here's a question, where is the government going to get the herion to plug these junkies with?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:19 pm

Maybe because in the long term it's for their own good!

What exactly is the alternative? Provide them with drugs, which is clearly unacceptable. Stick them on something else, like methadone which is just as addictive, and progressively wheen them off it for the next two years... possibly. Or you can bang it out of them in a month flat!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting Haunted from 17:18, 13th Nov 2006

Here's a question, where is the government going to get the herion to plug these junkies with?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn

You really think they don't know where to get it it they really 'want' to?

[hr]

We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 16:26, 13th Nov 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

It would seem that having one's illegal drugs withheld when one is serving time at Her Majesty's pleasure for one's crimes against society is a breach of one's human rights.

I think you'll find it's pronounced U'uman Ra'aits

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Quoting Jono from 17:19, 13th Nov 2006
What exactly is the alternative? Provide them with drugs, which is clearly unacceptable.

Holland is one of a few countries where heroin clinics have been set up to provide addicts with clean needles and drugs, to help them deal with the addiction.

Edit: Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Canada and Australia do this.

As for a heroin addiction being intentional--in some of the poorer parts of the country, drug use is so ingrained into people's lives that sometimes they almost have no choice in the matter. They may choose to do the drug, but they do not choose to be addicted. Making them hurt like that is inhumane; it's the same as holding back medication from someone suffering a chronic illness.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 17:26, 13th Nov 2006
it's the same as holding back medication from someone suffering a chronic illness.

No it isn't. Having a chronic illness isn't against the law, for a start.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting Haunted from 17:18, 13th Nov 2006

They've got to do something with all the drugs they impound.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 pm

Lots of posters itt seem to wish to punish convicts FOR BEING INTRINSICALLY MORALLY BAD PEOPLE like its an inquisition or something. Purging sin through pain.

Seriously, if you believe in destroying the untermenschen rather than rehabilitation and reform, why don't you just vote in HIM.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting Grandpa from 17:20, 13th Nov 2006
You really think they don't know where to get it it they really 'want' to?

Of course, my point was though that in doing so the government would be funding criminal activity. Which I don't think many people would be too keen on

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting Senethro from 17:44, 13th Nov 2006
HIM.

Whom should we vote in, pray tell? Or is this some comment alluding to pointless student/party politics.

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:58 pm

The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:24 pm

I make no apologies for my ultra-Daily Mail stance on this.

I don't care if they suffer extreme pain and damage from going cold turkey. It is no business of the Home Office or HM Prison service to aid drug addicts. Despite what anyone tells you, it takes a conscious decision to become a drug user, and at that point you deserve all you get.

People need to pull themselves up by their boot straps and get on with the business of life. Social deprivation is a problem, and it contributes to the drug culture, but it still takes a conscious effort to become an addict.

Let them go cold turkey. If it kills them, then so be it, they killed themselves.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Why is Drug usage considered criminal in the first place? Dealing, fine, prosecute away, But for something to be defined as criminal, then it should be hurting others, which drug usage, by definition, does not. Treating it as a criminal offense is a totally counterproductive strategy. Treating it as a health problem (WHICH IS WHAT IT IS) is a far more sensible way of dealing with it.

Treating it that way would help stop drug-motivated crime, and actually reduce the number of people using drugs. As it is, the insane strategy of punishing people for being addicted to a harmful substance will never do either of those things. If you wish to make that a criminal offense then you should also criminalise alcohol and tobacco. In the past heroin addiction was treated as a health issue in this country, but then America put pressure on the government to treat it as a criminal offense and it's been downhill from there.

[hr]

saru mo ki kara ochiru, ne?
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting Steveo from 18:24, 13th Nov 2006People need to pull themselves up by their boot straps and get on with the business of life. Social deprivation is a problem, and it contributes to the drug culture, but it still takes a conscious effort to become an addict.

What kind of life can you offer as an alternative?
Senethro

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:46 pm

Quoting oddly familiar from 18:39, 13th Nov 2006
But for something to be defined as criminal, then it should be hurting others, which drug usage, by definition, does not...
Treating it that way would help stop drug-motivated crime

How can you mention these two things in the same post?

Prison isn't just about punishment, it's also to do with the fact that criminals may pose a threat to the rest of us. Drug-related crime certainly falls under that category.

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Garnet on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:54 pm

What about the people that use drugs and don't commit any crimes to fund their habit, should they be jailed? they are only 'harming' themselves.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board