Home

TheSinner.net

Glasgow solidarity

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Glasgow solidarity

Postby David Bean on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Just wanted to note that our brothers and sisters at the University of Glasgow are today voting in a referendum on whether or not to join the NUS. I believe this will end in a well-earned defeat for the NUS, because they're a sensible lot at Glasgow and anyway my good friend Zoe is running the 'No' campaign, but I just thought I'd ask you all to say a silent prayer for the students of that august university, that they be redeemed and saved from the firey pits of NUS damnation.

Latest news is that they've definitely made their quota for turnout, and the 'No' campaign is optimistic. I'll post the result when I have it and an internet connection - unless someone beats me to it, of course!

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:26 pm

off the QMU website.

Should Glasgow University SRC affiliate to the NUS?
Yes: 262
No: 4065
Spoiled ballots: 36

woo!

I subnitted a motion for the Strathclyde AGM today proposing a referendum to remove affiliation from the NUS. :D

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Sorry to jump in David, but we just got the results through here, and we are overoyed!

Should Glasgow SRC affiliate to the NUS?

Yes: 262
No: 4065
Spoils: 36

Well done to Zoe, Mhairi, Shona, Kat and everyone at Glasgow SRC for an excellent campaign and a fantastic victory!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102636
LK Today

Re:

Postby Legion on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:20 pm

That's great. Another University sees the point of not joining the NUS.

Over 4000 for "No". A fantastic result.
Legion

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:03 am

Go Glasgow!!!

[hr]

We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:07 am

Smoked the bastards! Brilliant news - got it direct from Zoe last night, but I haven't had chance to get over here until today.

I was just going to say that I thought it was time we started taking the fight to the NUS, so good on Niall for firing the first shot at Strathclyde. They're a bright bunch, too, so you may be on to a winner there.

I reckon some enterprising chap in St Andrews should put a motion to the SRC calling on the sabbaticals, officers and members to support 'no to NUS' campaigns at other universities across the country, be they no-to-affiliation or disaffiliation referenda, as is current standing policy at Southampton. Down there they even put aside funds to support such campaigns, and whilst I wouldn't necessarily propose that (though I'd certainly support it!), a lot can be achieved with time and effort as well. If Niall gets anywhere then Strathclyde could be the next battle, and I think we should do all we can to support him. Let's also not forget that a couple of Fife's FECs have expressed interest in leaving - surely we can assist them on the path out of the darkness as well?

"I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
'Till we have scourged the NUS
From Britain's green and pleasant land!"

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting David Bean from 09:07, 16th Nov 2006
"I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
'Till we have scourged the NUS
From Britain's green and pleasant land!"

If you know of any local NUS people, I know a swashbuckling (yet professional) band of assassins who will happily oblige...

I know a couple of folks at Glasgow, I'm glad to see their Uni (well, the parts of it up for grabs) is still in good hands!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby ascii on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:28 pm

David,

There was outrage on this board when the NUS called for protests about Khatami's degree. Would it not be just as bad for the union to support anti nus campaigns at other universities?

If you or other St Andrews students help out the campaigns as individuals, then I think that's great, but I think your proposed SRC motion would be the St Andrews union meddling where it has no right to.

For what it's worth I think it's good that St Andrews isn't affiliated. As an NUS student now, I can't see any advantages (apart from the opportunity to buy the fabulous NUS extra card for £10 <\sarcasm>)
ascii

Re:

Postby ascii on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:31 pm

double post
ascii

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:22 pm

ascii - the khatami thing didn't affect any other union directly.

Other unions leaving the NUS affects us directly and in a positive way. (larger potential buying group)

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby ShinyHappyPerson on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting David Bean from 09:07, 16th Nov 2006

I reckon some enterprising chap in St Andrews should put a motion to the SRC calling on the sabbaticals, officers and members to support 'no to NUS' campaigns at other universities across the country, be they no-to-affiliation or disaffiliation referenda, as is current standing policy at Southampton.

Personally I'd prefer it if the SRC put more effort into supporting the campaigns and motions they've already passed that are St Andrews based before they start setting aside time and resources to "fix" other Unions.

[hr]

"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
ShinyHappyPerson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:52 am

Indeed, and while this result was never in question, one thing which would certainly have galvanised the 'Yes' vote would have been meddling from another institution.

(For the record, I am not only personally anti NUS, but I spoke several times against it during this particular campaign at Glasgow.)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 am

It's not about "fixing" other Unions - it's about ensuring that our own organisation has the stability and support it needs from the other member our current buying consortium.

In short (it's obviously far more complex than this), St Andrews is supporting the other Unions to ensure that our prices can stay as low as they have done for the past 3 years.
Ethan With

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:21 am

Past 3 years?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby ascii on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm not sure if that's the point. The anger at the NUS was because they don't speak for St Andrews students.

Equally, St Andrews Union does not represent students at universities, so I don't think it should be assisting anti NUS campaigns at other universities. Not unless it makes its motives clear: "disaffiliate so that we can save 10p per pint of Tenants".

Quoting munchingfoo from 22:22, 16th Nov 2006
ascii - the khatami thing didn't affect any other union directly.

Other unions leaving the NUS affects us directly and in a positive way. (larger potential buying group)

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
ascii

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:43 pm

Enlighten me, why, in 50 words or less, are we not affiliated?

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 pm

Ascii: the problem with the Khatami protest was that the NUS was claiming to speak on behalf of students at St Andews, which they had no right to do. Were we to become involved in campaigns at other universities, we wouldn't be claiming to speak on their students' behalf, but rather to try to persuade them to see things differently, and I don't see a problem with that. It's about counter-balancing the effect of the NUS using its resources to campaign to students during referenda: the moment, 'no' campaigns have no such organised support to draw upon. Personally I'd be in favour of establishing a nationwide anti-NUS movement, but until that could be achieved, I see no reason why our Association shouldn't offer active support to those students at other universities who want to be free of the NUS. I don't think it's just a strategic issue, either: I genuinely believe that the NUS is a rotten organisation which has lost touch even with the students it claims to represent (indeed the vast majority of its members belong to further education colleges, whose interests differ widely from those of the minority of university students), is riddled with infighting and has an outmoded, topsy-turvey value system. Universities in general are better off out, and I believe we have a moral imperative to assist those who would try.

Alex: how about seven words, for a start? Too much money for too little representation.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:31 pm

i was on the NUS website doing some research, and there was a page that said the following:

Representing Students – NUS successes over the last five decades

Find out some of the successes that NUS has achieved on behalf of students over the last fifty years. Read more

(on this page: http://www.nusonline.co.uk/about/Whatwedo/269686.aspx)

and the following page came up:

http://upload.rawxing.org/pics/nusnotfound.PNG

[hr]

niall

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:06 pm

We shouldn't go in for the simple reason that once we're in there's no way out. I'm not sure if there's a quorum for joining (Possibly set by the individual uni? There are certainly more than 4300 students at Glasgow) But the quorum for dissafiliating is over 75% of the student population. In the current climate of mass student apathy (a climate the NUS seems quite happy to do nothing about), There is no way we, or anyone else, could possibly drag that percentage of the student population out to vote! Pretty much the only reason why no disaffiliation motion has ever succeeded!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:13 pm

Motion was passed at the AGM today, first quorate AGM at Strathclyde for 9 years, then loads of people left, so the meeting became unconstitutional and was adjorned. my motion is the only motion to have passed in 9 years! woo :D

[hr]

niall

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board