Home

TheSinner.net

What the hell..

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What the hell..

Postby Kempy on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:18 pm

is going on in town today? Fun fair and loads of stalls and all sorts going on on south street and market street! I havent seen any advertising that this was going to be going on, is it in celebration of anything? St Andrews Day maybe, but its a bit early?

Anyone know?
Kempy

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting Kempy from 14:18, 25th Nov 2006
is going on in town today? Fun fair and loads of stalls and all sorts going on on south street and market street! I havent seen any advertising that this was going to be going on, is it in celebration of anything? St Andrews Day maybe, but its a bit early?

Anyone know?

Was wondering that myself, and why there was a slightly terrified looking reindeer enclosed just opposite the Bank of Scotland. Must be something to do with the Christmas lights being turned on tonight
Manic23

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:27 pm

Turning on of the lights perhaps?

It's also the weekend before st andrews day.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Manic23 from 14:23, 25th Nov 2006
Quoting Kempy from 14:18, 25th Nov 2006

Anyone know?

Was wondering that myself, and why there was a slightly terrified looking reindeer enclosed just opposite the Bank of Scotland. Must be something to do with the Christmas lights being turned on tonight

[hr]

Like, A REAL reindeer?
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby Icarus on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:45 pm

It's either a fair for the turning on of the lights later, or someone's going to a really elaborate effort to stop me writing my essay. It's kind of hard to analyse the intricacies of the American Revolution when you've got ten bagpipers standing directly outside your window playing the same god damn song on repeat (well, it all sounds the same).
Icarus

Re:

Postby JM on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 pm

yeah its for the lights going on which is at 5 at the fountain :)

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Quoting Icarus from 14:45, 25th Nov 2006
It's either a fair for the turning on of the lights later, or someone's going to a really elaborate effort to stop me writing my essay. It's kind of hard to analyse the intricacies of the American Revolution when you've got ten bagpipers standing directly outside your window playing the same god damn song on repeat (well, it all sounds the same).

Throw a box ouf tea out the window at them.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:00 pm

Quoting nymphomanic from 14:30, 25th Nov 2006
Like, A REAL reindeer?

Yes, there are two deer there, from the deer centre just outside of Cupar. There are a couple of birds of prey there too.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:08 pm

As people have said, tis the turn-on of the Christmas lights, there have been posters around town recently advertising it. Hm, that reminds me, PMs was going cheap chips to go with it...

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Freaker on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:13 pm

50p for Chips at PMs was the last thing I heard :D

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby greg-o on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:32 pm

The music is driving me mad, my flat is shaking.
greg-o

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:43 pm

Quoting greg-o from 16:32, 25th Nov 2006
The music is driving me mad, my flat is shaking.

And they complain about the students!
OhhMy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:51 pm

This is an activity which everyone can go to. It is also at 5PM on a Saturday. I'm not sure I get your point?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:18 pm

I was at work on South Street and the music was obscenely loud. Whenever the door opened, there was no chance of hearing each other from more than 3 feet away.

And yes, it's all in the spirit of Christmas, but seeing as about half of the town-centre parking spaces were taken up by it, people didn't come to St Andrews. Hence why they had to make the rides free for an extended period in the afternoon.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:31 pm

Come on it is only for 1 day! It's hardly like St Andrews version of Edinburgh's Winter Wonderland.

Why do people constantly moan about anything that happens in this town. So what if the music was loud on the rides. It was only for a couple of hours. Anything to try and give this shit town some atmosphere has to be a good thing.

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Exactly Paul!

First we hear "nothing happens in St Andrews"
Then we hear "it's too loud, and the streets are closed".

Admittedly, these two types of comments are from different people, but let's try to live together and get along.

{OR...}

Let's use The Sinner to celebrate good times, and shout about stuff that makes us happy and excited, as well as complain about things that piss us off.

Hurray! There's a fair in town again! St Andrews Day - a great chance to enjoy ourselves!

Why should St Patrick have all the fun just because he's got a major sponsor...?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Pan on Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Lid from 18:18, 25th Nov 2006
Hence why they had to make the rides free for an extended period in the afternoon.

[hr]

The rides were meant to be free- at least that was what was advertised on the posters.

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:39 pm

Aye stop complaining.

Walking down Market St and South St, this time last year, bumping into a ton of people and it being packed on the streets, after being in the studio all Saturday afternoon, was absolutely lovely.

In comparison, this year, I'm stuck with the dubious pleasure of Cherbourg and its assorted Christmas activities.

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Return to The Sinner's Main Board