Home

TheSinner.net

stereotypical st andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

stereotypical st andrews

Postby Amanda on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:22 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A563799

so funny

[hr]

[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:48 am

Old article - it mentions two pubs that no longer exist!

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby orudge on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:51 am

Mmh, yes, what/where was Homelea? I know Ogstons was the Gin House, but never heard of the first one. An amusing article, though.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 am

Ogstons was the Gin House was it not?

But where/what was Honelea?

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:09 am

The Homelea is what became TPs and which is now something else again, possibly simply the Pilmour? Ogstons did indeed become the Gin House, having previously been O'Henry's.

That page is shockingly badly written, and riddled with errors - not least of which are the ones of historical fact. Tsk.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:24 am

The Gin House WAS Ogstons more like!

I like how they claim getting a bus from Leuchars is nigh on impossible. I've always got one within minutes of arriving!

And Old Course 'sumptuous'? Well last time I expressed me views on this establishment I was censored...

Where's the main shopping centre on market street? Surely its not referring to Tesco's?

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Rob on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:42 am

I'm gonna get shot for this, but i'll stick my neck out and say Ogstons was far better than the gin house ever was.

Quoting Paranoid from 09:24, 19th Dec 2006

I like how they claim getting a bus from Leuchars is nigh on impossible. I've always got one within minutes of arriving!

And Old Course 'sumptuous'? Well last time I expressed me views on this establishment I was censored...

Where's the main shopping centre on market street? Surely its not referring to Tesco's?

[hr]

[hr]

Rob

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:52 am

I have heard that Ogstons was far better. I have also heard something about free Irish Cream!!!

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:58 am

Ogston's was better. By miles.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:08 am

'Twas a sad day when Ogston's closed (or was it Ogstons'?). And when was Holmlea around? It must have been a considerable number of years ago...

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:24 am

I think the Homelea became TP's in summer 2000. It was still the Homelea in March, because I remember playing darts with the Rector there during the drag.

Ogston's became the Gin House in the same year, did it not? They all blur into one...
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:46 am

No, not at all.
Boots now occupies what was a mini shopping centre called Mercat Wynd - it had a variety of small shops along a walkway through the building which opened out just at the back of the Police station - a handy way to get from Market Street to North Street.
Thackary

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:01 pm

It was enormously handy, and I loved the little delicatessen which used to be in there - just so much better than Butler and Co. A sad loss.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby bdw on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 pm

It also had a couple of little travel agencies that seemed to only cater for skiing trips to Aviemore.
Not having been to the Gin House, I am unable to draw a comparison with Ogston's but the latter did do a mean prawn baguette and laid on deep comfy armchairs to scoff it in.
bdw

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Bloody hell! A shopping centre in St.A, I would never had thought it!

Ogston's was indeed far greater than the Gin House, alas it was only around for my fresher year before being taken over. (So it closed at the end of the 2001/02 academic year).

There also used to be another cinema in St. Andrews many millenia ago! Apparently it was down near North End Coffee Shop...I only found this out as my father studied in St.A 20 years before me and decided to correct our guide during my visiting day (quickly ordered him to leave after that incident and he returned 4 hours later proudly announcing DRH had new window panes installed since he was there!)

[hr]

Paranoid

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Paranoid from 12:21, 19th Dec 2006
There also used to be another cinema in St. Andrews many millenia ago! Apparently it was down near North End Coffee Shop...

The "Cinema House" was located in what now is a block of flats. If you stand at the library entrance on North Street looking across the road. Well the flats on the left of Muttoes Court, the path to Market Street, are standing on the old cinema site. Closed around 80/81

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Unless you're prepared to wait for hours in the freezing cold for the very rare buses, a taxi is recommended, although the fares are appropriately extortionate

"Very rare"? They're every 11 and 41 minutes for me!

And for me a tenner is hardly extortionate, especially when you split it 2-3 ways.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool
[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 14:07, 19th Dec 2006
"Very rare"? They're every 11 and 41 minutes for me!

Every 11 minutes? That's exceptionally frequent. Do you mean that they're every 11 minute past the hour?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby seisachtheia on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:53 pm

I assumed they were referring to tesco's, woolworth's, the half a dozen other shops that always seem to blend together...

[hr]

[hr]

I can't forget you but I can't remember
I can't forget you but I can't remember
seisachtheia

Re:

Postby orudge on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:28 pm

Generally, I find a bus will arrive at most 15 minutes after my train has arrived - often much sooner. (Maybe not late at night or at weekends, though, but during the week, certainly). Can't really complain.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board