Home

TheSinner.net

.Zip file- Desperate!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

.Zip file- Desperate!

Postby fran on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:47 pm

I have a deadline on Monday and some of the most important information for that is online in a .zip file. I don't have internet in my flat and none of my friends have a printer, so I'll have to use a uni classroom PC. However, it always says "StuffIt Expander- Error or Warning: The data read from this archive or encoded file was not in the expected format. CONTINUE or CANCEL"
When I click continue absolutely nothing happens. And that's it. Help? Please?
fran

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:55 pm

try downloading the file and unzipping it at home?
then if you need to print it out go back to a computer room. i've not got a clue what the error means though, possibly the file is corrupted or the pc's don't have the necessary program to unzip the file.
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:06 pm

i think the easiest thing would be to go down to the library, and ask IT to do it.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Kempy on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:06 pm

Give someone here the link and they can download it, unzip it and email it or upload it elsewhere for you...
Kempy

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:15 pm

It sounds like the file may be corrupted, as StuffIt can handle zip files - you could try downloading it again, or try some of the suggestions others have given here.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby MacMan on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:11 pm

Sounds like you are trying to expand the file on a Windows classroom PC that does not have an unzipping application. You will need to down load such an application onto your area of the server and then install it (it can be done). Then use that to unzip the file.

Alternatively find someone who has a Mac, transfer the file and expand it on that. All Macs have Stuffit Expander (after all, its a Mac-only application), so it should be easy.

Lastly, don't panic!
MacMan

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting MacMan from 18:11, 24th Feb 2007
Alternatively find someone who has a Mac, transfer the file and expand it on that. All Macs have Stuffit Expander (after all, its a Mac-only application), so it should be easy.

No it's not, the Windows classroom build does include a version of Stuffit Expander, and it's that which is giving the error. You could try 7zip from portableapps.com - which you should be able to install in your My Documents folder, you don't necessarily need a USB disk.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm

get the zip file, put it on a memory stick transfer to your laptop or pc, unzip it there tranfer back on to the memory stick, go back to classroom, print it out there

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Download an unizipping application onto your server area on a classroom PC and install it. Then use that to un-zip the files.

The classroom PC's are set up appaulingly and often don't do things that they should be able to.

Alternatively borrow a USB pen drive from someone and unzip it on a Mac (which will have Stuffit Expander).

Return to The Sinner's Main Board