Home

TheSinner.net

4th Year tuition

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

4th Year tuition

Postby HarryP on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:59 am

Hi,

In September I will be going into my fourth year. I am English.... Am I right in thinking that I do not need to pay any tuition fees next year?

Am applying for my loan at the moment, so just wondering if I need to apply for that too.

Thanks in advance

Harry
HarryP

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Nope, no tuition fees for you!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby HarryP on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:30 pm

Thank you Rob.

Do you know if we have to pay the Scottish graduate fee thing instead?
HarryP

Re:

Postby househunter on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:39 pm

Nope.
househunter

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting Househunter from 12:39, 19th Mar 2007
Nope.

You still apply for your loan as normal, if you need it, but you don't have to pay tutition fees in most cases - assuming you're from Wales, England or NI and that the same or similar course is offered at another university for three years.

Don't expect the university, the student loan company or anyone to know much about the process though! Everyone in authority I spoke to about it didn't have a clue... but when i got my loan certificate thing through the post in August it said "amount you owe your university or college - £0" so I assume it was sort of automatically calculated that I was a fourth year. Best double check though.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Bryn on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:21 pm

I found this terribly complicated to communcate to the Student Loans company. They understood eventually. You should get a leaflet through from the university explaining how to do it, so hold off applying til you get that.
Bryn

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Damn. I paid for my 4th year last year and I shouldn't have. That's 1100 pounds down the tubes. :(

[hr]

Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Quoting tordenskjold from 14:40, 19th Mar 2007
Damn. I paid for my 4th year last year and I shouldn't have. That's 1100 pounds down the tubes. :(

[hr]

Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.

There must be a way to reclaim that, if you can be bothered. (I'd offer something a little more enlightening, but I'm in the dark myself)
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby MrGreedy on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:08 pm

How long has this been the case? I graduated in 2004 and would quite happily jump through some hoops if there was any chance of a £1000 rebate!
MrGreedy

Re:

Postby tinker on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

As a word of advice I worked for my LEA during the summer of this year and I had a great deal of difficulty explaining to them that I didn't have to pay any tuition fees this year (i'm a fourth year)... apparently no one had ever explained this before. So, even if your LEA in England and Wales says you do have to pay, they're lying!
tinker

Re:

Postby Hex on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm

I found that sorting it out with the LEA was easy. I just sent them a letter along with the student finance form.

The university have been more troublesome. They have asked for the money several times including one occasion on which I was informed that my fees would be collected by direct debit. I've had to show them the documentation from the LEA (so keep those letters) to persuuade them that I didn't owe anything.
Hex

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Hex from 19:41, 19th Mar 2007
I found that sorting it out with the LEA was easy. I just sent them a letter along with the student finance form.

The university have been more troublesome. They have asked for the money several times including one occasion on which I was informed that my fees would be collected by direct debit. I've had to show them the documentation from the LEA (so keep those letters) to persuuade them that I didn't owe anything.

Did all that not get clarified at matriculation? It was assumed by the clerk that my fees, along with virtually everyone else in the queue, were being paid for us and we skipped a huge wait.

[hr]

box_of_delights

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 pm

I did it from st andrews the day before I matriculated. I rang up my LEA and said "are you guys paying it yeah?" they said "umm ok we'll look into it"

10 mins later I got a call back and they said it would be fine.

When i went to matriculate I just said that my LEA were paying them and the uni didn't care.

all round it was a simple process

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Hex on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 23:07, 19th Mar 2007
Did all that not get clarified at matriculation? It was assumed by the clerk that my fees, along with virtually everyone else in the queue, were being paid for us and we skipped a huge wait.

[hr]

At matriculation I told them my LEA would be paying. I also showed evidence of this. Yet two months later the university were after my money. I did mention when I went into the reception/registry (on north street) the first time that I had done that at the time, but the lady didn't seem to care.
Hex

Re:

Postby Dirac on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 12:54, 19th Mar 2007
Quoting Househunter from 12:39, 19th Mar 2007
Nope.

You still apply for your loan as normal, if you need it, but you don't have to pay tutition fees in most cases - assuming you're from Wales, England or NI and that the same or similar course is offered at another university for three years.

Don't expect the university, the student loan company or anyone to know much about the process though! Everyone in authority I spoke to about it didn't have a clue... but when i got my loan certificate thing through the post in August it said "amount you owe your university or college - £0" so I assume it was sort of automatically calculated that I was a fourth year. Best double check though.

[hr]

Given that I'm doing an MPhys I take it I don't count? It's a 5 year course and I did direct entry, meaning a 4 year Masters. Shame that.
Dirac

Re:

Postby holden caulfield on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting Hex from 14:20, 20th Mar 2007
Quoting box_of_delights from 23:07, 19th Mar 2007

[hr]

At matriculation I told them my LEA would be paying. I also showed evidence of this. Yet two months later the university were after my money. I did mention when I went into the reception/registry (on north street) the first time that I had done that at the time, but the lady didn't seem to care.

They did exactly the same to me. And spent most of this semester telling me I hadn't paid my hall fees when I proof I had. I really can't believe how inept the registry are about money. This year alone I've had to make 4 trips to them and send countless emails - thats several hours of my life I'll never get back
holden caulfield

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 pm

I spoke to my LEA and because I had not taken any money from them before they aren't going to pay for my 4th year. That's the way it goes sometimes. Damn them.

[hr]

Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 pm

I think it's the Scottish Executive who pay it?? The purpose of the payment is to attract students to Scotland who would otherwise do the same course in NI, Wales or England for three years.

[hr]

box_of_delights

Re:

Postby HarryP on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 21:14, 20th Mar 2007
I think it's the Scottish Executive who pay it?? The purpose of the payment is to attract students to Scotland who would otherwise do the same course in NI, Wales or England for three years.

[hr]

Thats what I thought....have applied for loan, but not for tuition assistance. Now just hoping I don't need to pay it!
HarryP

Re:

Postby Hex on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:06 pm

I didn't apply for a loan, and I don't remember applying for tuition assistance either. I just explained my situation to the LEA and when my entitilement letter came back it had £0 tuition owed on it.
Hex

Return to The Sinner's Main Board