Home

TheSinner.net

Abbrev./Current Poll

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Frank George from 00:53, 23rd Mar 2007
If they need to reference "The University of St Andrews Students' Association" and "Students' Association" will not work because the Students' Associations of several universities are being discussed, they will now have a standardised abbreviation to use.

"Association" has eleven letter. "USASA", the longest suggestion, has five. It can't hurt.

I see your point, but if several associations are being discussed then the obvious shortened way to refer to us is as "St Andrews". A bundle of letters does not confer to the average unfamiliar reader which association they're talking about, especially when put alongside all the other unions doing the same within a given article, for example.

And as for cost, presumably there would be *some* cost involved because the introduction of such a change would need an accompanying press release at the very least to clarify the change. OK, not a huge scale expensive rebrand, but this whole idea smacks of some quarters having too much time on their hands and wanting to "leave their mark" on the Association before leaving so they can claim to be the one who "trendified" the name.

And as for confining it to the media etc... there's no doubt in my mind that introducing such an acronym would eventually cause it to filter down to common usage and then the inevitable total rebranding in a few years time.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 03:09, 23rd Mar 2007
It's not about number of letters, person who posted before the person who posted before me who I can't be bothered to go back and name, it's about comprehensibility. Otherwise we'd all forego names and have short alphanumeric codes instead.

I like it. I'm calling dibs on "Number 5". Also R2D2, actually. I shall decide which I'm going to use later.

[hr]

saru mo ki kara ochiru
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 08:52, 23rd Mar 2007
Why jump on the bandwagon after all? Just use 'The Association' when an abbreviation is needed.

Ok, T&A would be an appropriate second choice.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Spike on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:48 pm

how about SAUSA?
st andrews university students' association?
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:21 pm

But it's not St Andrews University, it's the University of St Andrews.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby [James] on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting spike from 17:48, 23rd Mar 2007
how about SAUSA?
st andrews university students' association?

As I said earlier:
Let's just be thankful that we're the University of St Andrews and not St Andrews University. Otherwise, "St Andrews USA" would be a possibility - and not entirely unrepresentative of the student population in certain subjects.

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:30 pm

Full marks to those who spotted that this isn't a rebranding, nor is it a change, nor will it cost any money.

Points deducted from those who think it has anything to do with "leaving one's mark" or that it's about jumping on any bandwagon (the title of the email was intended to cause a little stir and encourage people to voice their opinion).

From the 128 replies I've received so far, I’ve learnt that most students prefer SASA (55), though a great number (29) either don’t see the point of abbreviating the title (or simply prefer to retain the full title at all times, retaining St Andrews’ “individuality, sophistication and superiority!”).
USASA (20) was suggested by some as it sounds either magical, or like some kind of African dance, the rest of the USASA crowd preferred it as an abbreviation of the full title (though some disliked the “USA” content).

USSA (8) was ruled out by the majority as sounding a little too American or Russian (but as someone pointed out, the University of Strathclyde Students’ Association has already taken that abbreviation), though some thought it seemed most like a “real, pronounceable word”.

Perhaps most interestingly though, SASA translates from Swahili as “okey dokey”...

Only three people thought it was a waste of time even asking for people’s opinions, and only one person responded with an expletive.

Other options:
SUSA (1)
StAnSA (2)
SAUSA (8)
StASA (3)
UStASA (2)
SAUU (1)

The full title of the Students' Association will remain The University of St Andrews Students' Association.
People will continue to refer to it as The Union, The Association and The Students' Association (among other monikers).
It won't cost anything to form a collective decision to refer to the Union (when necessary) by an abbreviation.

I was merely canvassing opinion, as in some places (such as the menu system of the website), the full title is simply too lengthy.

And just because all the other kids are doing it doesn't mean it's wrong to do it. One should consider why they're doing it, what the benefits are of doing it, and why one shouldn't do it.

It's good to see that so many of you are so passionate about the University's and Association's image, history and prestige.
Oli

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:44 pm

Well, nevertheless I'd still be opposed to the introduction of any form of abbreviation. It pains me when people at Dundee and Edinburgh refer to their unions respectively as 'DUSA' and 'EUSA', as though they were some kind of neologism, and I'd hate for us even to create a precedent for allowing this to happen at St Andrews. THAT is the cost of the collective decision to use an acronym: it would give people license to start using it in everyday speech, regardless of what you say now about how people will continue to refer to the place (and how could you possibly know that, anyway?) - indeed the original email flatly contradicts the claim in the above post, stating that AS Dundee became DUSA, etc., SO the abbreviation idea is intended to apply to St Andrews. That this had to be hastily corrected in a second email speaks volumes to me about the midset going into this.

I hope to God the SSC won't let anything happen about this without its approval, and if they have any sense they'll throw the proposal so far out that it'll be put into a low orbit. The Association's image, history and prestige demand it, and so should its members.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting David Bean from 15:44, 24th Mar 2007
Well, nevertheless I'd still be opposed to the introduction of any form of abbreviation. It pains me when people at Dundee and Edinburgh refer to their unions respectively as 'DUSA' and 'EUSA', as though they were some kind of neologism, and I'd hate for us even to create a precedent for allowing this to happen at St Andrews. THAT is the cost of the collective decision to use an acronym: it would give people license to start using it in everyday speech, regardless of what you say now about how people will continue to refer to the place (and how could you possibly know that, anyway?) - indeed the original email flatly contradicts the claim in the above post, stating that AS Dundee became DUSA, etc., SO the abbreviation idea is intended to apply to St Andrews. That this had to be hastily corrected in a second email speaks volumes to me about the midset going into this.

I hope to God the SSC won't let anything happen about this without its approval, and if they have any sense they'll throw the proposal so far out that it'll be put into a low orbit. The Association's image, history and prestige demand it, and so should its members.

[hr]

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Jennifer Loves Chewitts on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting David Bean from 15:44, 24th Mar 2007

Heaven forbid that the general student population should choose to refer to their Students' Association casually!

I don't see anything wrong with abbreviations, and I don't see why you have such a problem with Olly finding out what people think about it.

If the majority of student agree on an abbreviation, then surely the Union should listen to its members, accept the change, and carry on doing what it does. As Olly says, it's only going to be used where necessary (only on the website, as far as I can tell), so I don't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps you'd prefer to stay with the old ways; resist change; not progress. Perhaps you'd rather have a committee meeting and discuss this sort of matter for hours, before writing a constitutional amendment and having it re-read and re-drafted before being submitted, discussed then approved? Perhaps your time could be better spent?

You're a bit ambiguous in your last sentence - are you saying that the Association's image, history and prestige demand that the SSC approve the change, and so should its members?

But it strikes me as odd and somewhat irregular (some might even say two-faced) for you to be so uptight about abbreviating the title of the Students' Association when you happily use "SSC" and "SRC" (the latter, formed nearly a century earlier, has far more history than the newly formed Association!)
Jennifer Loves Chewitts

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting Jennifer Loves Chewitts from 21:59, 24th Mar 2007
Heaven forbid that the general student population should choose to refer to their Students' Association casually!

You mean like the nickname "The Union" even though our Association isn't a union?

If you're going to take such a sarcastic tone, at least make sense.

Besides you're all missing the point. The SA must abbreviate, and the only choice is Studs Ass.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:42 pm

In newspeak, it would become Unistandstudassoc

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Orcas on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:59 pm

It's the Sinner, so I'll be pedantic. Oli, not Olly.

As for the name change, I like SASA, for most of the previously mentioned reasons (looking like USA or USSR) and also due to the probability that many people already refer to the University as simply St Andrews. Or maybe that's just me as I find putting University in front rather akward for some reason.
Orcas

Re:

Postby Jennifer Loves Chewitts on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 22:37, 24th Mar 2007

You mean like the nickname "The Union" even though our Association isn't a union?

If you're going to take such a sarcastic tone, at least make sense.

Err - it does make sense.
I'll try it another way for you though:
Heaven forbid that the general student population should make casual reference to their Students' Association.

But yes, the Students' Association is generally referred to by the nickname "The Union".
I wouldn't refer to it by the nickname "SASA", but I don't have any objections to "SASA" being used in any circumstances - actually, it's a more accurate nickname than "The Union".

Edit - Sorry Oli.
Jennifer Loves Chewitts

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Dragging in the debate whether students - and others - are members of a Students' Union or a Students' Association is just going to confuse the issue. Given that the website is called "Your Union", what is wrong with using "The Union" when the full name is too cumbersome?
Al

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:13 am

What's all this talk of having too many "Associations" mentioned in a news article is too confusing? There's only three other students' association in the UK.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Nigel on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Nigel

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:51 pm

In my post, if you'd actually read it, you'd have seen no opposition to the use of casual references to the Students' Association. If anything the existence of those casual reference options, if you like, renders an acronym even more needless.

I don't see anything wrong with abbreviations, and I don't see why you have such a problem with Olly finding out what people think about it.

Cast your eye to the poll on the side of the screen. Do you see a 'We don't need an acronym, please bugger off' option? I don't. Similarly, Oli's emails did include the brief question 'do we need one?', but everything else was all about what an acronym would be, with no attempt made (other than these cursory words) to stimulate thought or discussion of whether having an acronym at all would be necesary or desirable. My concern is that this is being presented to us as a fait accompli.

If the majority of student agree on an abbreviation, then surely the Union should listen to its members, accept the change, and carry on doing what it does.

I haven't argued with that, but as a member I'm entitled to make an argument that it's a bad idea.

As Olly says, it's only going to be used where necessary (only on the website, as far as I can tell), so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Again we reach a point where it would have helped for you actually to read my post. There is no way Oli or anyone else can possibly tell now what effect creating an acronym would have in the future. Just because Oli claims it would only be used on some obscure section of a web site already lacking in basic information, doesn't mean he's right. How does he know how other people would choose to use it, perhaps mistakenly at first, but leading to a situation where nobody can remember what the correct form actually is, and all of a sudden we wake up one day and everyone is talking about the SAZI, or whatever other ridiculous set of letters you come up with?

Perhaps you'd prefer to stay with the old ways; resist change; not progress. Perhaps you'd rather have a committee meeting and discuss this sort of matter for hours, before writing a constitutional amendment and having it re-read and re-drafted before being submitted, discussed then approved? Perhaps your time could be better spent?

Oh, har har har. You've just committed one of the greatest logical fallacies of our age: assuming that someone who opposes a change is necessarily wrong to do so, and then sarcastically mounting your high horse about it. You're wrong. If someone wants to make a change to the status quo, it's their job to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it's a change for good, and if someone like me believes that it won't be, they have a moral duty to oppose it. What's all this bull crap about constitutional amendments, anyway? Since when do you need a constitutional amendment to keep things the way they are?

You're a bit ambiguous in your last sentence - are you saying that the Association's image, history and prestige demand that the SSC approve the change, and so should its members?

Was the content of my post unclear in some way? Your obtuseness may appear charming in an eight year old, but - no, pardon me, it's not clever at all.

But it strikes me as odd and somewhat irregular (some might even say two-faced) for you to be so uptight about abbreviating the title of the Students' Association when you happily use "SSC" and "SRC" (the latter, formed nearly a century earlier, has far more history than the newly formed Association!)

Two-faced, because I happen to disagree with you? Well, aren't you a sodding ray of sunshine. And you're saying that because I think the use of acronyms is appropriate to some aspects of the Association, such as its internal committee structure, I therefore become bound to accept them for its commonly used title? I hope to God you aren't pursuing a degree in logic.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:27 pm

It seems to me that the University of St Andrews Students' Association already has an acronym in the shape of USASA. That nobody uses it is neither here nor there.

This question is about what, if anything, our official acronym should be. The simple fact of adopting one implies the intent to use it somewhere and on something.

If it is used, it will become current, but, I venture to suggest, not much so within St Andrews where people will still talk about 'the Union' for the simple reason there is only one here and no distinction need be made.

DUSA and EUSA and so forth all date from a period where those cities gained more than one university and, hence, more than one Students' Union and thus needed to distinguish easily between them. We don't, therefore for internal use there's no need of an acronym. For external use the adoption of an acronym is tantamount to a name change and serves no obvious or demonstrable benefit.

That is all.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:26 pm

Reet I just happen to be an expert on the subject as I'm from N.I., home of the UUP, PUP, DUP, SF, IRA, UDA, the RUC which had to be rebranded to PSNI (not Republican-friendly enough, now graffiti can read "fuck the PSNI" instead), PIRA, BRA (it's a school, I nearly went there), the BEELB.....

You get the point. NOW to be memorable (surely a large part of the point) an abbreviation should either make an actual word or something that sounds like one - like laser - or be short and sweet, like IRA not that they're either of course. Now StAndrewsSA is far far too long and all the USA ones will leave us as the butts of far to many far too obvious jokes. SASA is the obvious choice, nice and memorable, rolls off the tongue, excellent.

BTW, there isn't a college here or even a "St Andrews High School" (it's madras) so any paranoia that ppl will forget/not understand that it's a university institution isn't well-founded IMHO.

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board