Home

TheSinner.net

Wardlaw 28 "Suicide Room"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Wardlaw 28 "Suicide Room"

Postby MacMan on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 pm

I have heard alot of stories about this from a variety of sources, but they all seem to vary quite a bit. What exactly was the story behind Wardlaw room 28 at the top of the tower? I heard that there were three suicides in there, two of which happened on consecutive years. Some say that the residents jumped out of the window (which is on the third floor level), but I don't believe that.

However when I asked official University staff about this they answered that the name "Suicide Room" comes from the fact that Wardlaw 28 has a particularly steep staircase leading to it which would be dangerous in the event of a fire. They say that no one committed suicide in there and that it was just rumours. However, pretty much every other source seems to suggest otherwise so I'm taking the official word with a pinch of salt.

I have been let into in this particular room (which is now disused), and my impression of it was that it was just plain creepy. The room is small and octagonal with a ceiling that is about 20 feet high and converges into a point at the top. There are three small, round windows around the tops of the walls in addition to two normal sized windows at regular height. The lighting is terrible and there is a hint of dampness. There is a small, unlit turret in the corner with a staircase that leads to the roof access door (which is locked). The turret is full of dead flies. As for furniture, there is a wardrobe , a chair and two chests of drawers. No bed. There is also a very tatty carpet which when lifted revealed a number of letters and notes that had been secreted there by previous residents. The earliest was from 1992.

It is very easy to see why the room could push someone's mentality, it is very odd and isolated at the top of the building and it is not the kind of place you would want to sleep at night.

It would be good if we could build up a picture of this particular room as it is something that has been of interest to Wardlaw residents and other students for a couple of years now. If anyone has heard any stories about it or has some facts about the room then please share them.
MacMan

Re:

Postby Nimby on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:19 pm

I don't know anything about that room in particular, but I've heard from a uni official that there has never been a suicide on university property. Though, no idea how reliable a source he was!
Nimby

Re:

Postby MacMan on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:31 pm

There has most certainly been suicides in Univeristy halls. St. Regulus (where I live) apparantly once had 3 in one year. This information came from hall staff.

Rumour has it that it was something to do with the bad lighting in Regs that was causing severe depression with many of the students. The original lighting was with bulbs and 30-Watt striplights which gave a very dim light in the corrdiors due to the high ceilings. The hall was vastly rennovated in 2005 and the lighting has been replaced with modern, bright lights.
MacMan

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:55 pm

And what year, pray, was that? I certainly don't recall a suicide any time in the last 15 years.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Are you sure you would have heard about it? Once or twice now I've received the "memorial services will be held" email without knowing anything about the circumstances...

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby McK on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:32 pm

I know of no successful suicide attempts in my time at St Andrews, but sadly several student deaths. Lore has a tendency to expand in halls. There was a rumour when I was a New Hall resident in 98-99 that a girl had overdosed in one of the fourth floor kitchens, but I suspect that was either saved in time or that it was an exaggeration/fiction.
McK

Re:

Postby Duffman on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting MacMan from 20:58, 19th Apr 2007
The room is small and octagonal with a ceiling that is about 20 feet high and converges into a point at the top. There are three small, round windows around the tops of the walls in addition to two normal sized windows at regular height. The lighting is terrible and there is a hint of dampness. There is a small, unlit turret in the corner with a staircase that leads to the roof access door (which is locked). The turret is full of dead flies. As for furniture, there is a wardrobe , a chair and two chests of drawers. No bed. There is also a very tatty carpet which when lifted revealed a number of letters and notes that had been secreted there by previous residents. The earliest was from 1992.

I think that room sounds ace, I mean how cool would it be to have a bedroom like that. I'd happily live in it, even if it is called the suicide room.

[hr]

Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Don't dream too far,
Duffman

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Duffman from 23:59, 19th Apr 2007

I think that room sounds ace, I mean how cool would it be to have a bedroom like that. I'd happily live in it, even if it is called the suicide room.

Tell me when you move in and it certainly won't be a suicide!

Is he kidding?!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting Duffman from 23:59, 19th Apr 2007
Quoting MacMan from 20:58, 19th Apr 2007
The room is small and octagonal with a ceiling that is about 20 feet high and converges into a point at the top. There are three small, round windows around the tops of the walls in addition to two normal sized windows at regular height. The lighting is terrible and there is a hint of dampness. There is a small, unlit turret in the corner with a staircase that leads to the roof access door (which is locked). The turret is full of dead flies. As for furniture, there is a wardrobe , a chair and two chests of drawers. No bed. There is also a very tatty carpet which when lifted revealed a number of letters and notes that had been secreted there by previous residents. The earliest was from 1992.

[hr]

Don't dream too far,

Seconded!!
thebrookster

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:03 am

I'd certainly live in a place at the top of a staircase, on its own, with a turret - just one thing - replace the bed before I move in. Cheers.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby bdw on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting MacMan from 20:58, 19th Apr 2007 There is a small, unlit turret in the corner with a staircase that leads to the roof access door (which is locked).

It's a real shame you can't get out onto the Wardlaw turrets anymore. Back in the day that door was never locked and I used to spend many an early summer evening up on the roof with friends and a few bottles of grog, with the most wonderful views back into town and over the North Haugh as the sun set behind your back.
bdw

Re:

Postby MacMan on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am

It would be nice to live in that room if it was done up and had new furniture put in. It would always have that slight "Phantom of the Opera" feel to it though; you wouldn't look out of place playing a pipe organ up there in the middle of the night!

It would be cool if the turret was still open but alas in the modern insurance age, the University can't risk students going out onto roofs and potentially falling. That is why roof access doors and hatches in Univeristy buildings are always well locked these days.
MacMan

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:25 am

Seemingly the room isn't used due to Health & Safety Laws that say there must be 2 exit routes from a floor in case of fire. As there is only one staircase that leads to the suicide room, they won't allow anyone to stay in it!
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting The Penguin Of Death! from 11:25, 20th Apr 2007
Seemingly the room isn't used due to Health & Safety Laws that say there must be 2 exit routes from a floor in case of fire. As there is only one staircase that leads to the suicide room, they won't allow anyone to stay in it!

Where are the two exits from a floor in DRA? The staircase and the window? I wouldn't fancy that from the top level.
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

You used to be able to get out onto the roof of Melville.
Also from C block you could get out of one of the windows onto the roof of the staircase up to the dining hall. We were having a boozy party on the roof once when Kenneth Royce Moore walked back up the path - needless to say the entire football team got a bollocking.
Happy days

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59 am

I used to go out onto the roof of Melville in 2005 to enjoy a nice pipe and a drink. Aramed door my arse.

Quoting MacMan from 21:31, 19th Apr 2007
There has most certainly been suicides in Univeristy halls. St. Regulus (where I live) apparantly once had 3 in one year. This information came from hall staff.

Most certainly apparently? Which one is it?

Quoting MacMan from 21:31, 19th Apr 2007
Rumour has it that it was something to do with the bad lighting in Regs that was causing severe depression with many of the students. The original lighting was with bulbs and 30-Watt striplights which gave a very dim light in the corrdiors due to the high ceilings. The hall was vastly rennovated in 2005 and the lighting has been replaced with modern, bright lights.

Would you believe, but the corridors in Melville are supposed to be dim and narrow to, and this was the original intent, prevent corridor parties and force people out onto the 'promenade' (as the architect called it).

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby MacMan on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 pm

OK, my grammer is not perfect. I use the word "apparantly" because I am only passing on second-hand information that I can not confirm is correct.
MacMan

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Things that annoyed me about Melville (just a slight sampling of the many):
1. Only the boys' roofs were inadvertently left unlocked in my first year.
2. The architect wanted people to congregate in the fishbowl, but we got in trouble for it. They moved the bench because people LIKED sitting on it.

I've heard the Uni Hall stories before, but I had been led to believe that the fire safety regulations were the truth. Heck, the University almost had to lock up one room in every Gatty residence because of similar reasons.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Is anyone else intruiged as to the content of the 15 year old letters secreted in the Suicide Room?

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby trouble on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 14:29, 20th Apr 2007
Is anyone else intruiged as to the content of the 15 year old letters secreted in the Suicide Room?

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk

yes! I want to know!

[hr]

"Let's play master and servant."

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566
trouble

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board