Home

TheSinner.net

France and Germany

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

France and Germany

Postby Miss Maryland on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:04 am

I heard this on Weekend Update during Saturday Night Live (a comedy show), and I'll repeat it as best I can:

~picture hearing this from a newsreader~

"Karl Shroeder and Jacques Chirac have pledged full support of each other in their policies for a possible war against Iraq. The two also announced that they are homosexuals and are in a relationship together."

I don't remember if it was the names of the leading politicians or the names of the countries that were dropped, but it is funnier nonetheless the way I put it. And I don't have anything against homosexuals. If Chirac and Shroeder happen to find each other attractive, that's fine by me. ;)
Miss Maryland

Who the heck is...

Postby Big Al on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:27 am

...Karl Shroeder?? If you happen to refer to the useless anti-war hippie who is currently attempting to run the Federal Republic of Germany, please be advised that his name is Gerhard Schroeder ;)
Big Al

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:30 am

Is that really the height of American topical comedy these days - "The people that disagree with us are gay."
[hr][s]My weakness is none of your business[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby stan on Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:20 am

anyone watch newsnight with jeremy paxman last nite?

he had a interview/discussion type thing with the president of latvia and some guy from the french national assmebly. it was rather amusing seeing the latvian president slap around this fremch guy who made no apologies for chirac telling the eastern bloc to shut up, fall in line and do as the french say.

it was also interesting to see how chiracs comments has made life easier for blair as france appears to lost support with this comment.

anyone???
stan

frogs!

Postby splittter on Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:06 pm

yeah, the french eh? ... they're all gay and they eat smelly cheese ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... not that I've got anything against cheese ... I just find it weird ... y'know ... kinda funny ... and people eat it don't they ... uuugh
splittter

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:17 pm

[s]Big Al wrote on 09:27, 19th Feb 2003:
...Karl Shroeder?? If you happen to refer to the useless anti-war hippie who is currently attempting to run the Federal Republic of Germany, please be advised that his name is Gerhard Schroeder ;)

Oops. I should stop writing posts to this message board at midnight when my brain is on autopilot. At least I got his name 50% right, a better job than most Americans would do. I wonder where I got the name Karl from? Now I'm confused.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:18 pm

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 09:30, 19th Feb 2003:
Is that really the height of American topical comedy these days - "The people that disagree with us are gay."
[hr][s]My weakness is none of your business[/s]

In a most unfortunate way, yes. In the United States, "gay" is a slang word for "uncool." I do think, however, that the idea of Chirac and Shroeder being lovers would still be just as funny if one was a woman.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:15 am

Hmm, it seems as though a major propaganda outlet (Saturday Night has a massive audience share) has decided to pick on the French and the Germans for having their own views - and that their own views contrast sharply with the US.

The sad thing is, a lot of americans will go away after watching that program thinking that the French president and the German chancellor are homosexuals together - and not even doubt the truth in it. What a world we live in, when the most stupid are also the most powerful.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Cattet on Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:06 am

Rennie, don't worry. American's won't go away thinking they are gay. We are stupid, but not that stupid.
Cattet

Return to The Sinner's Main Board