Home

TheSinner.net

The South Street Ghetto

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The South Street Ghetto

Postby Dj Balloon on Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:55 pm

Has anyone noticed that South Street seems to be turning into a gangland as of late. On Friday night after a sound night in the Vic, a group of us walked down to Pizza Connection. On the way back home I saw several boy racers hassling and pulling out students who were actually trying to get into taxis. At the same time there was a fight outside Alldays.
Apparently later in the weekend an American guy was attacked by some boy racers and had his front teeth knocked out. Then as I walked down there on Monday afternoon, two locals were screaming abuse at each other from either side of the road.
Has Detroit come to St Andrews?

[hr]Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:31 pm

These boy racers need to be taught a swift swarp lesson. Perhaps we could make out that they were terrorists?
Rennie

Re:

Postby hmm on Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:39 pm

Perhaps it is because there are no cameras on south street, so instead of making everyone feel safer they have just shifted the miscreants to the one part of the centre of town where they can't be seen.
hmm

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:45 pm

Security seems a little bizarre in this twon really. There aren't any cameras in Kinburn park to my knowledge - a place I would think is a prime place for muggings etc. Whereas every time I walk down the scores late at night (admittedly not very often) there is always some police presence down there. Why?!
Perhaps we could start a students versus boy racers type crusade. Southside versus Northside;)

Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Monster Sink on Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:00 pm

Creating a divide isn't really going to help anything is it?

There should definitely be something done about the lack of cameras on south street though.

And the boy racers who park up on Market Street every evening should be fined for dropping litter out of their cars. It's disgusting.
Monster Sink

Re:

Postby McK on Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:22 pm

I live on the corner of Abbey St and South St, and am getting sick of the teenage drivers and all the noise they bring with them. Last week I was walking back from Lafferty's to my flat, and two of them were shouting and throwing cans at some girls going to Gatty [I think]. Not much you can do, and there never seems to be a police presence down that end of South St. Perhaps somebody should suggest to the local plods that they stop walking up and down the Scores and Hope Street for ten minutes to help the rest of us for a change.
McK

Re:

Postby Moyersy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:10 pm

There are more cameras on South St than on any other street in town. Three in total. As for the boy racers, there is not a lot that the police can do. I have seen the cars and drivers being checked on Market St before now, but I suspect that they are mainly well-off middle class yobs, so are legally insured and driving roadworthy vehicles.

If everyone reported their grievances about the lads and reported their registration numbers to the police, then they could be deterred. Since they are identifiable by their reg. numbers this should not be as difficult for the police to sort out as vague descriptions of white male teenagers hanging around on street corners.

As for the cameras, they are not particuarly useful in preventing crime as it is very hard for the operators to actually notice an ongoing incident. This is made worse by the fact that they are monitoring the whole of East Fife from a control room in Glenrothes. Finally, since they are unable to hear anything, being alerted to a disturbance is much harder.
Moyersy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:16 pm

Treat the source - not the symptoms. Eliminate all neds.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:05 pm

It seems woefully ironic that a town so concerned with its heritage - banning nightclubs and major fast food chains - is unable to police its own streets. I wonder statistically how many crimes have taken place on Hope Street and The Scores?

Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:17 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 17:16, 19th Feb 2003:
Treat the source - not the symptoms. Eliminate all neds.

If only it were possible.

I swear when I first got here (St A) I remarked at the noticeable absence of neds. (And dog poo but that's besides the point). But since then the ned population seems to have exploded. Or maybe they are just starting to crawl out from under the rocks they were hiding beneath. (I see alot more dog poo nowadays too. Coincidence?)

I hate neds. Unfortunately I come from Saltcoats...

[hr]
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:31 pm

They only seem to have appeared a year or two ago, since a certain person arrived. Coincidence?
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:02 pm

Nightclubs aren't banned exactly. The authorities are reluctant to grant a license because of the perceived noise pollution. Any nightclub would have to be built on the edge of town to avoid disturbing people. However, this would lead to the problem of drunk people walking back into town and disturbing people. Then there is the question of whether a nightclub could survive the long summer break. The "major fast food chains" banned themselves by refusing to agree to the various requirements put on them.
Al

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:17 pm

Elect me on my radical programme of ned elimination! :P
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:32 pm

But surely the noise of rumbling engines, pointlessly loud music and Ned-ish shouting is worse pollution...?

Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:36 pm

I'M NOT A NED!!! And I resent the implication.

And I'll vote for you Tenebrae. If I can help. Or at least watch.

When you say elimination though, do you mean extermination? Or rehabilitation?

The former would be more fun... but the latter is probably more liberal.

[hr]If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:59 pm

Damn neds
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Jiang on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:33 pm

I've got to say that the neds DO seem to be taking over lately. After about 7pm it seems you can't walk the streets without some stupid boy racers trying to kill you. The other night, for example, a friend and I were crossing Church Street when some bloody idiotic excuses for a driver (and human being) came out of nowhere round the corner and then proceeded to drive up the street about 60mph! My friend nearly slipped as it was quite frosty that night and we were very close to being mown down. I do not want to meet my end at the wheel of a becapped wazzak! BAN THE NEDS!!! Get the police to do their bloody job for once - its what they get paid for after all (although they may be like the ones in Edinburgh who are generally TOO SCARED to tackle criminals!)
Jiang

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:43 pm

I have no idea where all the neds have come from. I grew up in a town with a very high ned population surrounded by towns with an even higher ned population. There was and still is a lot of violence from neds in my town.
When I first came here I was delighted because you could walk around dressed like a freak and there were no neds around to cause trouble of any sort, but this year is just horrible. The police have little control over the streets in St Andrews. DO SOMETHING!!!
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Keep a rock in your pocket,

Postby RaphX on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:44 pm

aim well, and run.

[hr]Let it be a joke
Let it be a smile
Let it be a farce if it makes me laugh for a little while
Let it be a tear
Let it be a sigh
Coming from a heart, speaking to a heart, let it be a cry
RaphX

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:46 pm

Hang around with a potentially scary looking person from Kirkcaldy.

Works for me.
Cola Cube

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board