Home

TheSinner.net

getting high?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

getting high?

Postby Sophs on Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:53 pm

did anybody see yesterday's debate (titled: this house would get high)? i missed it, but i did see the rector slightly earlier in the evening looking rather, 'unsteady' shall i say, on his feet. so how was it? did he provide a good argument for the proposition? any scandal?
Sophs

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:55 pm

No, I forgot to bring a towel.

[hr]Who am I now? I'm not a man, I'm not machine
I gave my life away - for the Iron Savior dream
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

This House would get high

Postby shocked on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:24 pm

Alright. There has been so much controversy this year as to why the debates have lost popularity, and consequentially, attendance. Last year, there was such a large student population who loved nothing better than to watch the debaters in action, and the room was filling up from about 7:20 until the last minute when the board of ten walked in, even allowed to line all of the walls standing. Last night when a friend and I turned up at 7:40 pm there were security guards at the door who were not allowing people in because apparently it was full. (Although it was nowhere near as full as previous debates last year). These security guards were being so terribly rude to everyone and I saw them literally slam the door in the faces of a couple of individuals. Since when has a debate shut out the people who admire debates the most, who are even willing to stand and watch? And allowing such impolite, uncouth, and offensive behaviour at the door?
shocked

Re:

Postby Rennie on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:26 pm

Who are these security guards you speak of?
Rennie

Re:

Postby Sophs on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:37 pm

as far as i know, the reasons behind this 'uncouth behaviour' that you refer to, is the stringent measures implemented by the university since the start of all this fire-strike business. lower parliament hall is a building of great history and i think, despite this being absolutely no excuse for rudeness etc etc, it is a necessary measure. the security guards are the blokeys who patrol st marys quad to prevent local scally-wags and out-of-order students causing grief to the property. but did anybody actually see the debate?
Sophs

I was in the debate

Postby Darshybaby on Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:00 pm

hi there,

I was in the debate, as Treasurer of Debates and was in Opposition. As of 5pm yesterday, I was told that the Rector would not be speaking about Cannabis and would not tell us what until the last minute.

Hence, when Matt Dyson started his Prop speech - btw - legalising cannabis for 10-18 year olds to brainwash them! - I was very much left with no case to oppose. It was a farcical debate and myself and my partner - Tony, had to improvise our 7 minutes. I do apologise for the quality of arguments, but we on the opposition would want you to hear us out, b4 somebody who went, begins to slag of the debate.

I agree it was shocking and as part of Board, would never want a repetition of such a performance.

On the matter of attendance - indeed it is the university who limits numbers and not the Board. We have just taken over, under difficult circumstances and are trying our very best to restore the society to what it once was. Please just support us and not go against us.

Thanks

Darshan
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:07 pm

When you go to a hotel, don't forget to bring your own towel...

[hr]Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:56 pm

I think you might find that the 'security guard' blokes are probably the janitorial staff who insisted we couldn't have any more people in LPH, despite the multitudinous masses virtually beating down the door to get into the Iraq debate.

So, going from slagging off debates for being unpopular, to slagging it off for being too popular...well, it doesn't matter what you do for people - they're still going to find something to complain about!

My assessment of the debate - goddamn funny, but in an IV-debater sort of technical way, poor on the actual debating aspects.

But it was the rag week debate, and it's all about having a bit of a laugh and raising money for charity.

Coincidentally, I hope they raised lots at the door with the voluntary entrance fee!
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Mandy on Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:19 pm

I saw the debate and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the first one I'd ever been to and, yes, it was full quite early (probably the draw of the Rector?) The whole thing was very funny. The Rector spoke expertly (as you would expect) but hats off to everyone who has the bottle to stand up and speak in front of everyone (except the first opposition who, in my opinion, overdid personally slagging off the proposer and the bizarre economics student who lost the plot entirely). I will be going to more in the future.
Mandy

men

Postby Cecilia on Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:21 pm

NO MAN IS AN ISLAND!!!! 'ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE, LOVE,...LOVIN' IS ALL YOU NEED!!"
Cecilia

Darshybaby

Postby Darshybaby on Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:25 pm

Hi Mandy,

Sorry bout that - i agree i did overdo it - it was just standing there for 7 minutes with nothing prepared and nothin to oppose - it is a standard LPH thing to do - personally target the other side. I have had better LPH debates - my Overseas one - was far better.

I do apologise - straight away i knew i had gone overboard. I did, apologise to Matt, straight away, during the Rector's speech.

Come again, im glad you enjoyed it though.

Take it easy and the Society is glad u enjoyed it.
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby 007 on Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:57 am

Darshan do over the top?!

Surely not.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board