Home

TheSinner.net

Elections

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby [James] on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting Daniel from 15:48, 3rd Nov 2007
Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:29, 3rd Nov 2007
Simple really - if the candidates aren't excited enough to co-ordinate a public campaign then why should the voters get off their arses to vote for them?

Excuse me. They did.

Sticking one poster on a phonebox doesn't count. Both the library and the Union were an absolute gauntlet back in March. Where were the banners, the posters, the atmosphere? This is why 93.3% of people didn't vote.
[James]

Re:

Postby JohnMac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:14 pm

"There was always the revolutionary idea of going to the Union to find out more information. It's how people would have acted before the advent of emails and the website."

Even if you went to the Union to find out information, there were not posters of all the aplicants and so you were confronted with a list of names and a job title. Compared to previous elections - these were a bit of a joke.
JohnMac

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting JohnMac from 20:14, 3rd Nov 2007
Even if you went to the Union to find out information, there were not posters of all the aplicants and so you were confronted with a list of names and a job title.

The 100 words booklets were in the general office and elections office from Tuesday onwards - hardly just a list of names.

Candidates MAY have one poster in the union - there's nothing telling them they must, it's their prerogative.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Freaker on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Thanks for posting the results! Any numbers available?

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby JohnMac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Lid from 20:59, 3rd Nov 2007
Quoting JohnMac from 20:14, 3rd Nov 2007
Even if you went to the Union to find out information, there were not posters of all the aplicants and so you were confronted with a list of names and a job title.

The 100 words booklets were in the general office and elections office from Tuesday onwards - hardly just a list of names.

Candidates MAY have one poster in the union - there's nothing telling them they must, it's their prerogative.

[hr]

When I was in in the general office the booklets were anything but obvious! In comparison to previous elections where the advertisement for candidates has been ramarkably extensive (in terms of poster campaigns, election flyers,banners etc.) this time it was pretty poor! In regard to the fact that it is the candidates perogative to actually have an election campaign, that brings up an earlier issue of the fact that if those standing for election havent made an effort to even campaign then why should students make an effort to go and vote?
These elections (in my humble opinion) did not demonstrate the true potential of the SRC or SSC which have the potential to be bodies of change and development in an exciting time for the Students Association.
JohnMac

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:50 pm

There were also posters all over town.

Re:

Postby HG on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting from 17:57, 1st Nov 2007
Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:41, 1st Nov 2007
Speaking of the elections in March, would anyone care to make some wild, illegal and vicious suggestions as to who's-probably-going-to-run-for-what?

I'll get the ball rolling with Rory McLion for president.

Rob Fett for President
Tom Cahn for President
Ben Nicholson for DoR
Harry Giles for DoR
Zoe Gage for DoR

Representation is the issue I'm most committed to, but as it happens I'm thinking more about running for the President role at the moment, cretinous or not.
HG

Re:

Postby ElStudente on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:51 pm

The reason I didn't vote is because I had no idea what the candidates actually stood for. One heckling is not going to get the message across to us as to why we should vote for a particular person-or, indeed, why we should vote at all. If there had been a way of finding out why these people actually wanted us to vote for them, that dudn't involve speeches, maybe then I would have done so. As it is, I think if people expect us to use our democratic rights, then they should fulfil their responsibilities as per getting the information out there in the first place.
ElStudente

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting from 17:57, 1st Nov 2007
Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:41, 1st Nov 2007
Speaking of the elections in March, would anyone care to make some wild, illegal and vicious suggestions as to who's-probably-going-to-run-for-what?

I'll get the ball rolling with Rory McLion for president.

Rob Fett for President
Tom Cahn for President
Ben Nicholson for DoR
Harry Giles for DoR
Zoe Gage for DoR

Veritably cretinous.

Unregistered user, not only are you are ill informed, but you are a swine for facelessly insulting people. Grow some backbone. Oh, and I'm not a cretin - I'm an arrogant tosser ;)

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting ElStudente from 20:49, 3rd Nov 2007
The reason I didn't vote is because I had no idea what the candidates actually stood for. One heckling is not going to get the message across to us as to why we should vote for a particular person-or, indeed, why we should vote at all. If there had been a way of finding out why these people actually wanted us to vote for them, that dudn't involve speeches, maybe then I would have done so. As it is, I think if people expect us to use our democratic rights, then they should fulfil their responsibilities as per getting the information out there in the first place.

Wholeheartedly agree, there are - in this day and age - a plethora of mediums that candidates and the Association can and should be communicating to us with - and vice versa.

[hr]

BenEsq

Re:

Postby maenad on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting ElStudente from 20:49, 3rd Nov 2007

So ... if posters, flyers, speeches, the 100 words booklet, facebook groups, Wednesday memos and an evening of hecklings (all things I've heard people complain about) aren't good enough, how exactly would you suggest candidates get their views across?

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby RobFett on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 am

Don't think we publicise elections far enough in advance?

http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5482269573
RobFett

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:00 pm

If you did more publicity I bet the electorate would complain about having it shoved down their throats, there are often moans come the more major elections in Spring.

Also I don't see how the fact that someone thinks you might be standing in an election makes you cretinous.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby roffly mclol on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Beat poetry.
roffly mclol

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board