Home

TheSinner.net

Mornington Crescent, Round 3

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Mornington Crescent, Round 3

Postby eagle on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:46 am

Right then, I feel considerably refreshed, and ready once again to do battle.

Gentlemen and Ladies, put down your chammies, pick your nose and Arsenal, then reach for the spoon drawer - it's time to play...

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

This round, we'll be playing left handed at quarter past, Henry Ramsbottom trumps Davidson, Tiger Woods is still a no picnic zone and Eddie IS hard.
Anyone caught anticlockwise on the North Circular will forfeit two turns unless they have a valid ticket, and the klaxon will sound when you reach the bonus station.

Good luck people; let's play.

I'll start with Cutty Sark
eagle

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 am

Cutty Sark is a double ended non sequitur (Due to it being named Cutty Sark [s]for Maritime Greenwich[/s]) therefore, now in play due to the refurbishment of 2006, Lancaster Gate

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:42 am

A fine play, and a difficult one to follow. I think a double Baker loopback around the Circle Line probably the best ploy to invoke here, which I believe lands us in East Acton.

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Legion on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:01 pm

With the Lewis-Chostonovich match setting the precedent, I'll use the recently introduced "Salisbury Plain" bypass manoevre, taking the third and last letters from East Acton, crossing them with the Majestic Double underhang, which (if my calculations are correct) lands me in...

Gallions Reach on the DLR.
Legion

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:40 pm

However, with the engineering works on the Circle Line, I'm obliged to play [b]Westminister.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 pm

In light of chaffinch vs. Gubbins, The Sinner Round 2, 2007, it would seem rude not to - even though there's absolutely no spoon and the engineering works should probably call for a replacement bus service -

Elephant & Castle

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby falach on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:44 pm

Quoting legion from 13:01, 15th Nov 2007
With the Lewis-Chostonovich match setting the precedent, I'll use the recently introduced "Salisbury Plain" bypass manoevre, taking the third and last letters from East Acton, crossing them with the Majestic Double underhang, which (if my calculations are correct) lands me in...

Gallions Reach on the DLR.

Unfortunately, it is the third and Second-last letters, which would give you Canning Town. Alas the game has progressed, so we shall ignore this slight error, however, your calculations were indeed correct (for the letters used).

Using a Hop-skip-and-Jump Inversion, I shall move play from E&C to Victoria
falach

Re:

Postby eagle on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:55 pm

I claim Sputnik!!

Kew Gardens

Let's see how you get out of that one! I'd like to see you try.
eagle

Re:

Postby Daniel on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Kew Gardens is an excellent move at this state of play and would prove quite formidable were it not for the 1986 adaptation of the classic Churchill-Freyer Eliptical Slide...

... which leaves us, I believe, in Black Horse Road. I used to live near there.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby chaffinch on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:07 pm

Following recent high profile redevelopments I'd like to put an experimental slant on this historic game and name KING'S CROSS ST PANCRAS.

I doubt the international links will be of much relevance to a lower quadrant reversal this early on but the subsequent City line oscillations could be something to behold.
chaffinch

Re:

Postby Timata on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Due to your choice of play, overwhelming crowds will lead to a rapid withdrawal into the much under-used third quadrant, but due to some form of inter-spacial shift (this is after all an experimental and forward-thinking game) I think the only solution is The Science Museum - not as good a start as last time on my part
Timata

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Timata from 18:42, 15th Nov 2007
Due to your choice of play, overwhelming crowds will lead to a rapid withdrawal into the much under-used third quadrant, but due to some form of inter-spacial shift (this is after all an experimental and forward-thinking game) I think the only solution is The Science Museum - not as good a start as last time on my part

FOUL!

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby eagle on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Back two places!

KING'S CROSS ST PANCRAS it is
eagle

Re:

Postby Timata on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:22 pm

A simple mis-calculation in the quadrant divisions, I concede. Does anyone see a better and less controversial way to move?
Timata

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:27 pm

As it stands, and with Zone 3 wild, surely it's Willesden Junction?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby chaffinch on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Yes, I'd say so and from there I'm going to say KENSINGTON OLYMPIA. Purely speculative of course, but if someone inadvertantly triggers Geraldson's Prerogative then a surprisingly quick game could ensue.
chaffinch

Re:

Postby Daniel on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Then there's no other option. I have to play Monument.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Now we find ourselves in a tricky situation. The only obvious solution here would be to play London Bridge, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and head out to Surrey Quays and hope that someone can get in before peak hours forces the next move to default to Shoreditch.

[hr]

Gubbins

Re:

Postby chaffinch on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Never fear, chaffinch is here! This move to EAST HAM should be quick enough to prevent the Shoreditch default. This is just a stop gap though so I hope someone can find a way of avoiding spoon.
chaffinch

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:38 am

I should point out to the beleagured chaffinch, who is clearly so eager to do well in this game, has negelcted to read Article 7 in the 1999 edition of Mornington Crescent, which dictates that with District high, and Zone 3 wild, East Ham becomes a foolish move of the highest order.

How about, for old time's sake, I play my old work move when living on Cartwright Gdns over summer, that Russell Square makes an appearance

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board