Home

TheSinner.net

Should this be compulsory?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Should this be compulsory?

Postby theonlyone on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:18 pm

What do people think about a 10 credit first year compulsory module on the history of the university, and the town in general?
theonlyone

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Taught by whom? And where? There are over 1000 first year students, how could they all possibly take this module? Would it be assessed? What would the credits count towards?

Surely such an endeavour is completely infeasible.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:00 pm

The history of the town and university? Hmm, the estate of Ronald Cant would be pleased, as he wrote the only worthwhile book on the subject.

Why do you feel it would be neccessary? What purpose would such a course serve that couldn't be served by a booklet made freely available?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Raindog on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 pm

More useless art subjects that get you nowhere.
Raindog

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:47 pm

What about another 10 credit module about something else just as pointless, because theres really bugger all 10 credit modules to pick from outside philosophy and youll need to balance up to 60.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Senethro on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting Duggeh from 16:47, 20th Nov 2007
What about another 10 credit module about something else just as pointless, because theres really bugger all 10 credit modules to pick from outside philosophy and youll need to balance up to 60.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies

Not to mention philosophpy modules only count for half credits in some science schools
Senethro

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Compulsory history is always good!

Then again, the history departments' entry requirements are pretty high. We don't want a load of under-qualified scientists piling into St. Katherine’s Lodge and winging that they don't know how to write an essay! It'll ruin the acoustics!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:59 pm

Then we're in agreement. You don't want us, we don't want you. Huzzahs all 'round.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 am

I do think more information, in one easily accessible place (like a more comprehensive section on the website) would be a great asset to current and perspective students.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Jono from 23:52, 20th Nov 2007
Then again, the history departments' entry requirements are pretty high. We don't want a load of under-qualified scientists piling into St. Katherine’s Lodge and winging that they don't know how to write an essay! It'll ruin the acoustics!

I'm not sure if there are any sciences that have lower entry requirements than history - if we're going by that then it's the language students you have to worry about as i think they only need ABBB to get in ;-)

And, at the risk of sounding like i'm whinging - i've never really liked the history department's essay style, i've always hated putting references in footnotes. Or even in endnotes. Parentheses make it far easier to remember who's being referred to when you're reading an article. But since i only took history for one semester before i dropped it, i guess i'm not one to judge.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:20 am

What a hilariously silly idea. 10 credits for a course on the town's history when all one needs to do is pick up a book up on the subject and read it during the course of an afternoon?

I wish honours modules were like that. :(

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:07 am

They're not?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby macgamer on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:46 pm

It could be taught electronically over WebCT, the readings are specified and the essays set.

I don't know how you would teach all first years simultaneously in the traditional lecture or tutorial format, even if you were to split them between semesters.

Another solution would be to force Science students to take at least one arts module elective and vice versa with Arts students.

That way you could achieve a more rounded student.

Perhaps this is more a discussion about what a University education actually is now and what it should be.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby [James] on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting macgamer from 12:46, 21st Nov 2007
Another solution would be to force Science students to take at least one arts module elective and vice versa with Arts students.

That way you could achieve a more rounded student.

Perhaps this is more a discussion about what a University education actually is now and what it should be.

Quite a few people in the University would agree that you have a point here. My own tutor vehemently believes all IR students should automatically be enrolled in Modern History and Economics.
[James]

Re:

Postby lts2 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting Jono from 23:52, 20th Nov 2007
Compulsory history is always good!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra

And we don't want you in our departments either but still the university decide to fling every other 1/2nd year arts subject into my building. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't scowl at us in our own common room as we discuss quantum mechanics. Stilettos + rainy day + physics = history students on the floor. Hahahaa....

Anyway, 1st year compulsary history module would be a bit pointless and at that level surely the exam would just me a memory test?

PS Jon, we science students can write essays I assure you, infact I am pretty sure that I have written more for my degree this semester than thou....9,000 and counting...
lts2

Re:

Postby Raindog on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Check out his melodies
Raindog

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:47 pm

Well would it work if one member of each department was educated in teaching such a module, no essays would be required really, and the exam could just be a memory test. What is wrong with that? It needn't count towards anything, why does everything have to count towards something?

As to why, well I think that the history of the town and the university attracts a lot of students to st andrews, and really I believe that there are a lot of people who would be interested in it.

Also it would make students, especially those of a scientific nature "well round people". I don't think that it is right that we should all waltz through this ancient town, take part in the "traditions" and get our degrees with out knowing anything about how it all came about. Culture is just as important as education, I would say.
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:06 pm

In that case, why don't people learn about it themselves? Why does it have to be taught?

Why can't it go onto a website with information about the town? - the Sinner's Guide, for example?
Thackary

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting thackary from 16:06, 21st Nov 2007
In that case, why don't people learn about it themselves? Why does it have to be taught?

Why can't it go onto a website with information about the town? - the Sinner's Guide, for example?

As good as the sinners guide as it doesn't cover terribly much, lets me fair. And let people learn it themselves, well time is an issue, but there is no real reason why they shouldn't get credit for it, is there?
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 pm

TBH, i would rather my credits went towards something more interesting, thanks. I know a bit about the town and its history but i don't see why i should be tested on it - makes no difference to my psychology degree if i can rattle off the history of the town my university's in.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board